FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I am a neanderthal

truespeed
All modern day non Africans are descended from neanderthals new study reveals.

Interesting,may explain how they disappeared,in as much as maybe they didn't,maybe they just interbred and became what we are today.
kelseymh
truespeed wrote:
All modern day non Africans are descended from neanderthals new study reveals

Not a new study, and your description is a vast oversimplification. There is some decent evidence that so-called "modern humans" in Europe interbred with Neanderthals. Some investigators have reported correspondences between genome fragments isolated from Neanderthal samples and genes found in modern European humans.

Note, by the way, that "European" is not synonymous with "non-African." In particular, I think that Asians, Australians, North Americans, and Pacific Islanders would disagree with your characterization.
inoshi
kelseymh wrote:
truespeed wrote:
All modern day non Africans are descended from neanderthals new study reveals

Not a new study, and your description is a vast oversimplification. There is some decent evidence that so-called "modern humans" in Europe interbred with Neanderthals. Some investigators have reported correspondences between genome fragments isolated from Neanderthal samples and genes found in modern European humans.

Note, by the way, that "European" is not synonymous with "non-African." In particular, I think that Asians, Australians, North Americans, and Pacific Islanders would disagree with your characterization.

What, if any, is an update on this? I saw the tail end of a documentary recently and they seemed to be saying that the Neanderthal genome had been sequenced, and the show then indicated by comparison that we were carrying Neanderthal DNA, and even suggested that we may have benefitted from it in such cases as immunity, etc.

Inoshi
Ankhanu
Only update that might apply is that we carry more neanderthal genes than previously thought.
I don't have any references around me at the moment, and it might not be new in the context of 2011 to now.
inoshi
Ankhanu wrote:
Only update that might apply is that we carry more neanderthal genes than previously thought.
I don't have any references around me at the moment, and it might not be new in the context of 2011 to now.

I think the genome sequencing, or completion thereof, may be new(?).

Neandering,

Inoshi
roadtripbuddies
Yeah I saw how Europeans and Americans have some DNA from neanderthals on NOVA and it was pretty interesting...
melmoth
Quote:
They went extinct, or were simply absorbed into the modern human population, about 30,000 years ago.

How probable, right? They went extinct in their own turf while the African Homo Sapiens could survive the harsh climate of Europe of that day? You can see that Neanderthals had bigger brain size, and larger overall built than Sapiens. We ARE Neanderthals. About 99% of our genes are that of Neanderthals (of course speaking if you are a fair European otherwise, that percentage largely depends on our ancestral background.)

In the next post you can argue about some points, but it has certainly very interesting insight about the issue.

http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/the_lords_of_lies13.shtml

You can read more on our Neanderthalness here.
http://atala.fr/
Ankhanu
melmoth wrote:
About 99% of our genes are that of Neanderthals

I assume you're being very liberal in your number here; using it in the same sense that we share genes with chimpanzees and bonobos? Same ancestor -> same base genes ? More specifically, the discussion revolves around the inclusion of novel neanderthal genes within the Homo sapiens genome, not shared ancestral genes. That proportion is MUCH smaller.