FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

viability of social enterprise to distribute leftovers

Is it feasible and sustainable to distribute restaurant/catering leftovers to the hungry?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

mexiwithacan
A bit of background reading: “L.A. Effort Matches Leftover Food With The Hungry”

For my social entrepreneurship class, I'm considering whether it's feasible to attempt to mimic the leftovers distribution operation in the Boston, Massachusetts area in the United States. However, I'd like to add a twist: Solve the logistics issue by creating incentives for diners to bring the food to collection centers themselves.

What's the general feeling out there about the viability and sustainability of this kind of enterprise?
standready
Sound great in theory. I hope you can make it work since there are tons leftovers of all sorts (not just food) laying around.
mexiwithacan
What could motivate someone to drop leftover food off at a collection center? Here are a few ideas I have.

Setup the collection center as a dessert, sweets or ice cream shop where people may naturally want to stop by after a meal. The center can make money through product sales while serving the social need to collect leftovers. Actually, now that I'm typing it out, maybe partnerships with existing shops would be an easier approach. However, what would be the value proposition to the existing shop?

Another possibility could be to leverage public transit. If people with food drop the food off at receptacles located at subway or bus stops, then at the end of the day or periodically throughout the day the buses can make a special trip along the same route to collect all of the food and gather it at a convenient location at no extra cost to the public.

One problem that I haven't thought of a way around is: What do you do about the smell of the food?