FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Area 51

yagnyavalkya
I am reading a book called the
"Area 51: An Uncensored History of America's Top Secret Military Base"- Annie Jacobsen. NYtimes says it is "cauldron-stirring book about America’s most mysterious military installation"
The interesting part is about the "Horten brothers" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horten_brothers
Saucer type aircrafts
mazito
goog for you, but tell us a little what do you think about?
Bikerman
You might also want to consider a critical view of the book:
http://www.washingtondecoded.com/site/2011/07/area51.html
mazito
Bikerman wrote:

I identify my self with your signature, but is refreshing to hear about those topics, expecting new arguments os some
quex
I saw the plug for this book on the Daily Show of all places, but was very disappointed to actually read it... lots of incorrect dates and suppositions about the Soviet programs to stretch theories into place.

Away from the book, however, are we up for a serious discussion about Area 51? Because I've got some lovely bits regarding that... it's taken some time, but now that the US has decided to become a space-and-air-force, the need for Area 51 as anything more than a long-term hangar is gone. Our new stuff is being churned out here, hidden in plain sight, right next door to the space vehicles of private industry. Conveniently close to Edwards AFB, isn't it. :3

Or, if you're looking for little green men, try Dugway.
Bikerman
Most things are open for debate on Frihost. Whether this particular debate belongs here is dependant on the nature of the specific material.
If people wish to discuss the scientific aspects of Area 51 and the work that was conducted, then this would be an OK place, but it might be better in 'Life' or even 'Earth'.
If people wish to discuss speculative accounts of alien technology then, unless it is strongly supported by scientific evidence (and I should say that I know of no such evidence - so my presumption will be not, unless some convincing references are given), I would prefer such discussions to take place elsewhere - Chat, history or P&R weould be better choices methinks...
quex
More of the former, less of the latter. Please shovel any debate (that might develop) into whatever forum it ought to be in -- I was just pouncing on a perennial favorite topic of mine. :3
yagnyavalkya
Bikerman wrote:

That is the same book I mentioned in my post
Ankhanu
yagnyavalkya wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

A critical review of the link would demonstrate that it contains a critical review of the book you mentioned in your post. I think the idea was that you should read it critically.
yagnyavalkya
Ankhanu wrote:
yagnyavalkya wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

A critical review of the link would demonstrate that it contains a critical review of the book you mentioned in your post. I think the idea was that you should read it critically.

Got it
georgyileony
Some TV Docus claim that the Germans had flying saucers techniques developed in II World War, and were flying around in it. Area 51 should be the U.S. test place for captured German flying objects.

Neutral
ocalhoun
georgyileony wrote:
Some TV Docus claim that the Germans had flying saucers techniques developed in II World War, and were flying around in it. Area 51 should be the U.S. test place for captured German flying objects.

Neutral

Why would they only take the round ones there, when they evaluated and tested the other captured German technology much more openly?
georgyileony
ocalhoun wrote:
Why would they only take the round ones there, when they evaluated and tested the other captured German technology much more openly?

What do you think?
ocalhoun
georgyileony wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

What do you think?

I think that the Germans did experiment with round, 'flying saucer'-like aircraft during WWII, but that they didn't work very well. -- They experimented with a lot of things* towards the end of the war, as they were starting to get desperate for a miracle weapon that could turn the tide of the war back in their favor.
(The USA also experimented with such craft during the cold war, and also had disappointing results; some flew, but none of them outperformed conventional helicopters or airplanes.)
Which leads to two possibilities:
1: Prototypes and designs for these craft were mostly destroyed before they could be captured.
2: Some were captured, evaluated, found to be practically useless, and then mostly forgotten by history.

*Some of those things, like aircraft carriers, jet planes, nuclear power, and ballistic missiles would turn out to be very good ideas. Other things, like superguns, flying saucers, rocket-propelled interceptors, and 100-ton tanks did not turn out to be very good ideas.
silverdown
They should allow tours an stuff and could help pay back the government with admission fee's... as well as hook up the white house with rooms for bed in breakfast!... hey it an potential idea!
psychorollercoaster
dunno...i just like 2 think its a big scam....but a v intriguing one Wink
Dennise
Joe Kittenger was a U.S. Air Force colonel assigned to an AF aerospace medical research facility in the late 50s/early 60s. He is best know for his record setting jump at 102,000 ft. from a high altitude balloon. This jump and others were part of early research in preparation for the American space program.

On one of those jumps (part of project Excelsior I think) an equipment failure resulted in gross distortions in Kittenger's head and facial features. He suffered no permanent effects. On landing however, Kittenger's feature distortions were quite apparent and superficially seen be the media. Because funding for future similar missions were dependent on the success of that jump, it was in the interest of of the program's managers to keep the jump failure hidden. To that end, the media were rushed away, but not without a few pictures taken of Kittenger's mishap.

To this day, many people are convinced that on that day, poor old Joe was actually an ET as 'evidenced' by his swollen head. Certainly NOT true.

In Kittenger's excellent autobiography Come Up and Get Me, you can read the details of the above in the colonel's own words.