FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how to use unix on a windows PC

aavlooperated
is there really anyway of possibly using UNIX on a Windows-based computer or PC? or would i just have to get myself a Linux-based PC instead?
Fire Boar
There is no such thing as a "Windows-based computer". Unlike the whole "Mac OS only runs on a Mac" thing that Apple are touting, Linux and Windows both run on PCs. The only thing that makes computers seem like "Windows computers" is the fact that someone at the shop pre-installed Windows for you.

Short story: you can install any UNIX-based operating system, such as Linux or FreeBSD, on any computer that is currently running Windows, provided you have the necessary access (ability to load the installation media).
NitNik
BSD, Linux and Solaris runs perfectly on PC's.
If you're unsure how to install an Unix, try this. Wink
menino
Unix will work on a PC, if you have the appropriate drivers, and most Unix drivers are mainly made for servers, unless you are lucky enough that the built in drivers will work on the PC you install it on.

Linux distributions will work on most PC's or Laptops today, such as Ubuntu, Slackware, Debian, Fedora, RedHat, etc.

If you want both Windows and Linux at the same time, you can install a virtual machine, and you get free ones at virtualbox.com, which is from Sun Microsystems co., or Oracle now, as SUn is bought by them.
Virtual box will then run your Linux distro and if you really like it, then you can opt to reinstall the system with Linux.

Alternatively, you can Install Windows first,a ndt hen install Linux afterwards, which will let you dual boot to either Operating System, but you cant use them at the same time.
AlessandroG
You can use a Live Usb
billlam
I have a [UNIX 7 for x86]'s .iso file but I couldn't make it work on virtual pc 2007
rjraaz
billlam wrote:
I have a [UNIX 7 for x86]'s .iso file but I couldn't make it work on virtual pc 2007

Please specify what the error or problem you are facing with that and version of your windows.
kta_fh
Use Oracle VM Virtualbox. Download it here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads.

Guidelines:
    * create a separate partition in your PCs hard disk for the virtual machines and .iso images
    * download your favourite Linux distribution Live CD .iso image
    * create a virtual machine using virtual hard disk(s) with static size, reserve at least 20GB disk space for a VM
    * also, configure at least 1GB of RAM to your virtual machine
    * attach the .iso image to your virtual machine's CD drive
    * start the virtual machine and when possible, install the Linux distribution into your local virtual disk
    * detach the .iso image from the virtual machine's CD drive
    * reboot the virtual machine
    * choose to download and install gcc and make into your Linux (you need them next)
    * from VirtualBox control panel (at the screen edge) select to mount the extensions into your virtual machine's CD drive
    * let your Linux find out there's something runnable in the CD drive and let it install the extensions (drivers) into your Linux

Now you should have your Linux running full screen with mouse support in a virtual machine.

If the mounted extensions .iso does not auto-run in your Linux, navigate to the CD drive contents and try to start the "auto-run" script manually.
rodexa
I use openSUSE on my Windows XP. You can install openSUSE in different ways. For more information:

http://software.opensuse.org/121/en