FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Kick-ass optical illusion

Bikerman
I recently compiled a vid of some optical illusions. I was particularly struck by the Einstein hollow mask illusion and decided to buy one. It arrived this morning. I was expecting to be slightly disappointed - as is usual when expecting something amazing. Not a bit of it. It is astonishing - by far the best optical illusion I have ever seen.
For those who don't know what I'm on about here is the promotional vid*

It's actually better irl than the video...

* note - I'm not trying to sell this product - it isn't cheap and I have no interests in the company or any other financial connection/inducement.
Josso
I remember these! Just googled the place in the lake district that I saw it at. They look much better when you are looking at them with your own eyes, I've got some hd video of this somewhere that I took... may have to dredge it up...
standready
That is so cool, Bikerman. Thanks for sharing. Now, I just need a window.
Nameless
That doesn't seem that impressive to me; I can think of a few flat painting I've seen which pull off the same simple perspective trick nearly as well. I wish I could see some of these in person instead, they're much cooler IMHO.
Bikerman
It is very impressive close up. You can stand a couple of feet away, knowing you are looking at a hollow mask, and your eyes just won't see anything except Einstein moving as you move....
It is only when you get really close that your brain suddenly does a double-take and the actual mask suddenly clicks back into vision.
chatrack
Hi,

It is interesting to see, such a shape can give good 3D effects , even in 2D videos. The shape turns more rapidly than the surrounding background, in just opposite direction, giving a real view.

In normal face of the mask from front, when it turns - face turns in the same direction as the background. but face to left , but background to right. It is making some unusual experience in our mind, making it Different feeling.

I tried with some similar shapes, it work good when viewed with one eye.
Bikerman
Yes correct. If I stand in front of it, it looks directly at me. As I move to one side it turns faster than me and I end up with a partial profile view.
psyberphreedom
that is cool
Asap170
That is pretty cool.
loremar
If you really look hard and think that it's hollow you'll really see that it's nothing but hollow. Especially if the nose exceeds the side.
emanuel2
looks great Smile
Aredon
For me it would switch between being apparently hollow and following me. Still a very cool illusion.