FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Humour .....

deanhills
I was asking a friend how Google managed to know what I search on. I'd search on accommodation for a Maldives the one day and the next day ads would show up in my Web mail box referring specifically to the Maldives. He then sent the following YouTube show to me by way of an explanation. Both an eye opener and hilarious at the same time. I'd been completely unaware of how Google had been making inroads on phones as well.

Google Toilet! Plus: A Google Phone Parody!
metalfreek
I loved that video. Thanks for sharing.
chatrack
Hi,
This I noticed with me too. I think they store some, keyword information in cookies
and retrieve them in the next visit.
catscratches
deanhills wrote:
I'd been completely unaware of how Google had been making inroads on phones as well.
Do you mean Android in general? Cause the part about phones in that videos is from The Onion. It's not real.

Here's how Gmail serves you ads: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=sv&ctx=mail&answer=6603

And before anyone cries about privacy issues. Yes, your e-mail provider that stores your e-mails on their servers has access the contents of your e-mails. Surprise?
deanhills
catscratches wrote:
And before anyone cries about privacy issues. Yes, your e-mail provider that stores your e-mails on their servers has access the contents of your e-mails. Surprise?
No one is crying anything. If you check the OP I was intrigued. And then got a neat explanation for it. With plenty of entertainment value in it. Hence the title of the thread .... Google Humour ....
emanuel2
thanks for sharing Smile
catscratches
deanhills wrote:
catscratches wrote:
No one is crying anything. If you check the OP I was intrigued. And then got a neat explanation for it. With plenty of entertainment value in it. Hence the title of the thread .... Google Humour ....
Oh, I wasn't referring to anyone in particular in this thread (sorry if I was making it sound that way). It's just that lots of people tend to oppose Google for storing information about them when it's information that they freely supply anyways. Razz
standready
That is hilarious, dean. Flush your search down the drain!
deanhills
standready wrote:
That is hilarious, dean. Flush your search down the drain!
Right! One thing I've found though, I never look at those ads. It just caught my attention for a brief moment. So not sure how useful all of those ads are anyway. The particular one I saw was actually of the very Website I had been using to search for information anyway. Nothing new. Interesting though.
Very Happy
shivaghimire
I found an interesting matter here. Thanks for sharing.
ProfessorY91
I'm going scream out my 2 cents.

Google isn't the only one capable of using means to track your search results. Many companies use targeted ads in exchange for using their services. Personally, I don't care. I use adblock extensions on Chrome, so I haven't seen an ad for a pretty long time. Also not a surprise is that the clickthrough rates on ads are not very high. If you don't like Google tracking your movements, don't use Google, or use anonymizing software to cover your tracks.

I think a more interesting take on this would be to look at the profile that Google has... of you: http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/

Not so scary and big-brotherish is it? I find it hilarious.
deanhills
ProfessorY91 wrote:
If you don't like Google tracking your movements, don't use Google, or use anonymizing software to cover your tracks.
I've made my peace with that a long time ago Professor. There is good and bad in all of the ads, and with Google ads one of the best things ever for me is Frihost. For me the YouTube show was more about the humour side of things. I haven't done a Maldives search for at least a few days, and the ad still comes up, so in a way that is helpful to remind me I'd better get my act together for my summer holidays.
Very Happy
u16888
Thanks for sharing.