FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Shipping containers and stuff you can do with them

Helios
So I was browsing Youtube videos on the topic of survival and came across this dude who managed to build an underground shelter from a shipping container. After doing some research I found out that this is somewhat popular, but still have decided to post it here... maybe you'll find it interesting as I have!

I think it can be really useful in countries cursed by storms and tornadoes like some US states.

That's nice and all but then there's this fellow:

Now that is just freakin' awesome.
ocalhoun
Actually, shipping containers (unless reinforced) are very poor underground shelters.
In their 'natural' state, they are too weak to withstand the earth pressures around them, and they can collapse without warning... Not something you want from a place you go to be safe.
They are also prone to rust when exposed to the ground on all sides, and unless well sealed before burying, they will rust through in less than 3 years.

They can be used, but you have to reinforce them and carefully apply sealant to the outside, as well as several other modifications... And after that, it's often cheaper to simply build something from scratch.

As above ground shelters though... they are cheap and very useful. Above ground, they won't protect you from bombs, fallout, or tornadoes, but they do provide excellent shelter against everything else for a very competitive price, and are very versatile.
Deboracco
surely this man is crazy, does not make sense this is not a place to stay alive and not for housing, I think it is a hideaway for other Fins.rs
Containers require many adjustments before they become a comfortable home
deanhills
I thought the underground cellar was an awesome production. I had to watch it from beginning to end it was just so well put together, thanks for posting it. This guy must have been filming it all of the way. I'd love to have an underground shelter like that.

I'd researched some of these places before, some people have built some interesting permanent tree houses for example but have not seen a shelter like this before.

Here are some amazing designs for tree houses:
http://freshome.com/2008/01/08/top-8-most-amazing-tree-houses/
c'tair
Like others have said, I think shipping containers don't have enough good qualities to count as shelter. Sure, you can reinforce them and make them rust proof, but that needs more resources to do. If you were in a live or die situation, I think it would be easier to just build a natural shelter or if you really want a home, I think it would be easier to a build a tiny, frugal, living space out of wood/composites.
dan751
Heck, you can make music for shipping containers, it's more a shipping box, but hey, it's still used for shipping. ENJOY!! Very Happy

deanhills
dan751 wrote:
Heck, you can make music for shipping containers, it's more a shipping box, but hey, it's still used for shipping. ENJOY!! Very Happy

You missed out on Bondings' gift to us on 1 April .... hehe ... that's me in the photo (just kidding) Cool

FriHouse, a free house for every one
alamier
I have seen these last years a good amount of low-budget dwellings for, most of all, students. I found it an utterly interesting option, both architecturally, economic and in terms of comfort, as per the people I talked to in Amsterdam.

Here comes some views. Fancy, huh?

These are the student houses in Amsterdam:

ocalhoun
Come to think of it, this:

Could serve a lot of benefit in places like:

If you could just figure out the logistics of getting them there, that is.
fuzzkaizer
not that i wanted to live that much in a container or a shelter below earth... but the link to the tree-houses
(
Quote:
http://freshome.com/2008/01/08/top-8-most-amazing-tree-houses/
) i find a much more inspiring alternative - of course it might not be that cheap.
fuzzkaizer
just came across this comfortable looking container home:

but behind that there's a whole page about container buildings...
http://www.ecocontainerhome.com/category/public-buildings/
as happening with so many things in the internet, something that looks quite special on first sight, after some investigation it turns out to be sort of a commonplace...
deanhills
fuzzkaizer wrote:
just came across this comfortable looking container home:
Looks great. Just wonder whether there is any plumbing connected to the place as I can't see any pipes or a generator for electricity.
Mr_Howl
Saw this on Reddit a while ago: Two Containers
deanhills
Mr_Howl wrote:
Saw this on Reddit a while ago: Two Containers
WOW, that's pretty amazing, particularly the contrast with the original two containers and the creativity to get it as it ended up in. Pretty awesome. Really like the first kitchen.
Iceaxe0410
A lot of these remind me of legos. I used always wonder what it would be like if there were giant sized lego blocks that could be used to build things. I guess shipping containers are probably the closest real life example to that. I remember as a kid, i wanted to build a house made up of legos. I only got far as the 1 sq foot scaled model of a house. I didn't have enough legos to make anything larger, lol. I have to say though, I've been in many containers and they don't seem particular sturdy. They seem fine for temporary storage, but I'd worry a bit about the wear and tear due to the elements.
IndieCthulhu
My step dad actually has built a completely portable granny flat out of A shipping container, he has had it for a few years... they are an awesome way to do things...

i was personally thinking of using a shipping container to build a portable furnace and metalwork shop... turned out to be to expensive at the moment... maybe in the future...

Something else to think about, imagine a house made of them, each container a different room... you could quiet literally hire a crane for a couple of thousand and completely rebuild your entire house... new design and everything add a room between two ect. ect.
ocalhoun
IndieCthulhu wrote:

Something else to think about, imagine a house made of them, each container a different room... you could quiet literally hire a crane for a couple of thousand and completely rebuild your entire house... new design and everything add a room between two ect. ect.

Only if you design the electrical, data, and plumbing hookups between the modules to be universally compatible with each other... a pretty daunting task.
IndieCthulhu
ocalhoun wrote:
IndieCthulhu wrote:

Only if you design the electrical, data, and plumbing hookups between the modules to be universally compatible with each other... a pretty daunting task.

Thats true, but i could simply be made so that where the containers stack (the corners) all the plumbing/electrical fixtures plug in there...
IndieCthulhu
Popup Samsung stores made of 3 shipping containers

ocalhoun
...Very loosely made from 3 shipping containers.

I see very little of the original containers left.
StormEngineCo
Wow that is amazing. Who would of that you can be so creative with shipping containers?
fuzzkaizer
another one, that is not exactly made from a shipping container, but it looks like it was also just a metal box put over a structure - maybe a container could be used in a similar way, given that you cut away the floor or something... anyway, if it's not a-ma-zing, at least it's a nice idea!

http://ummhello.tumblr.com/post/50500867444/caja-oscura-javier-corvalan

you wouldn't use that in a too fresh climate, of course, but in Paraguay it should be a nice habitat.
biolu
Shipping containers are made to be used as containers, not as home, Their structural and material design is also oriented for this purpose.
Of course you can modify it to suit your needs, but you can also do that with a ballistic missile, a plane or any other structure...
fuzzkaizer
once in a while again: a nice shipping container house idea, they call it "G-spot":

http://www.tinyhouseliving.com/a-transforming-container-home-the-g-pod/
and on this "humble homes site" one might find even more container-homes:
http://humble-homes.com/g-pod-transforming-container-home/
π
deanhills
That looks awesome. Just what I feel like for now. No fixed geographic location. Just move one's house to wherever one feels like for the day. Cool
Coralie0222
Cool post etui galaxy tab 4 8 etui galaxy tab 4 7
fuzzkaizer
rather the whole thread is cool, I'd say!
Insanity
I've seen peopel do things with the containers where they do hydroponics, which is growing plants indoors with some special lights and nutrients. They do it all within the confines of the shipping container, which makes it really easy to move things around.