FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you teach?

Helios
Well, we have a "how do you study?" topic so I thought we should have a "how do you teach?" one as well. I'm not making it a sticky yet, because I want to see if this thread gains any popularity first.

Anyway, I've been assigned to train a new engineer at my department and since I'm not a teacher by profession, I'd like to have some tips from the pro's in here Smile
davidv
Helios wrote:
Well, we have a "how do you study?" topic so I thought we should have a "how do you teach?" one as well. I'm not making it a sticky yet, because I want to see if this thread gains any popularity first.

Anyway, I've been assigned to train a new engineer at my department and since I'm not a teacher by profession, I'd like to have some tips from the pro's in here Smile

During High School and even now at University I had loads of friends ask me for help, in fact... one time I taught an entire class a topic in High School... and I was a student just like them. Sometimes I find teaching actually a good method of studying as well. You're iterating and exercising what you know and that kinda reinforces your knowledge.

Most of the time when I'm helping others, they generally have very little knowledge about what they're suppose to learn. Rather than going from the very beginning (you know, the excruciatingly detailed stuff), I give them a general idea and then slowly fill in the gaps. The good thing about this is that once they start learning the more specific stuff either by filling the blanks themselves or by me telling them what it is, it's a lot more within context.

I also try to make them think. I tell them what happens when x,y,z but I don't explain why, instead I make them think. When people figure out something themselves, it's more likely they'll understand it and remember it.

Visually, I try to draw arbitrary algorithmic diagrams to explain how to do something or how something is done. I then explain why that's the way it's done (of course after they had a shot at figuring it out themselves).

So if you combine it all together, making them think, giving them a general idea opposed to the specific details and explaining to them what something is, why it's the way it is... after a few attempts, they'll start to understand and then your mission as teacher, is complete Smile

There are some cases where friends of mine are embarrassed to ask for help because they think they'll be judged and looked down upon. I try to tell them that everybody needs help sometimes and that I won't judge them or laugh at them if they get a question wrong. There are other cases where they just don't get it... Of course, those cases need to be dealt with a little bit differently as well.
myuzor1
Teaching is a wonderful area of our life as it means the way or manner you you impart knowledge into someone.

I am a proud teacher because i see the kids practicing what i teach.

Any one can be a teach for as long as he or she can:

1. he or she can talk.

2. Can explain the subject matter

3. Can impart the subject matter

4. Can prove the full understanding of the subject matter.

5. Can explain the aims of the subject.

6. Can make use of the in-structural aims to explain himself.

I trully believe that teacher should also be well trained.
iiinvest
I'm currently teaching English in South Korea and have been doing so for a few years.

What is there level of understanding of the topic?

Present the material in a memorable manner. I do this by trying to shock the group with interesting facts, pictures, activities, etc,. Ask most people things they remember the most and they will tell you of an experience linked with an emotion, not a mundane fact learned in 6th grade History class.

Break down the material into small bite sizes that the students can understand. Make sure they understand by asking them.

Keep in mind some students learn better through different senses (visual, aural, kinesthetic).

Wrap up the class with a review and make sure to keep the new topic a part of daily conversation. You don't want your student to become a part of the "use it or lose it."
therimalaya
Although i'm not a professional teacher, I was a student experience of more than 22 years. Giving lots of example and encouraging students in participating in different practical programs will give them a detail and memorable impression of the facts. Further, with this method, they will enjoy the work and enhance there creativity.

Giving them some simple notes would help then in there exam as well. Some people think that they should be strict with the student so that they will obey them and will understand the things they taught. But that is absolutely false and absurd. One should be friendly and interactive with the student to be a good teacher.
webpinoy
Different people teaching different ways.

For me the most important things are:

- Explain things understandable.
- Make learning funny.
- Find new ways for the student HOW to learn.
- Look always for questions of the student.
Mrs Lycos
Probably it was mentioned in the "how do you learn" thread, not all people learn the same way, so as a teacher you would have to adjust to how your student learns best.
Some are "visual learners", some "aural learners", some "do-it-yourself learners". So maybe one learns just by reading or looking at the pictures and diagrams - some have photographical memory- others understand better by listening to you, even if you repeat word by world what's on the text, some others need to write it down, or put it to test to understand it fully, manipulate things.

So it's up to you, to figure out how your student learns best, and take ti from there.

Another thing I should mention, is that I completely disagree with "studying should be funny". Students need to learn to focus, to pay attention, and that's a skill we have to make them develop. By the time they're in university learning derivatives, and the teacher is not "fun" then what? we will not have any engineers?

If we're talking about children, we have to prepare them for life, and life is hard, and life many times is not fun. There's a time for fun, and a time for concentration, study, and silence, a time to play, and a time to think. If they can't separate that when they're young, if we don't teach them that, then what can we expect when they're adults? that they'll learn that by themselves?
chatrack
Hi,

I start a topic with checking previous knowledge
Telling historical stories related to topic, giving examples from daily life
related to physic topics which is intended to deal with.

Students will remember things which they see or work with.

Make the students attentive and keep them interested in topic.
bukaida
I am teaching the future engineers for the past 10 years. Thats what I do for living. Teaching is an art ( and science) which depends on individuals. A teacher in engineering has to make him/her self constantly updated about the latest development and technology. Moreover keeping the 60-70 people interested for 1 hour in a sole performance, day after day, is not easy.

Another expert person in this forum is Bikerman who also has a huge experience in this field. May be he can share some of his tips here.
yannpapa
I am giving a lot of in-class assignments and I try to give a lot of questions when lecturing that students try to find the answer and if they cannot I give them more and more hints until they find it.