FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Want to learn English

shivaghimire
I think I am quite poor in English or I not confident. I can write something but I can't speak well. My mother tongue is Nepali and there is less practice in speaking English so I want to practice English. English language will help me a lot in my future very much so I want to start learning English now. You may know many such sites which teaches English. I hope you will help me to learn English more than this. Waiting your reply.
Thank you.
Asap170
From what you just type there are a few errors in your writing, but nothing major. Do you have issues with pronouncing words and what not?
deanhills
Why not try ESL: English as a Second Language. It is a free course.

There are also many YouTube courses that you can check out by Googling them.
cybersa
This thread will help me also. Smile
Boz my first language is Tamil.

@deanhills
Thanks for the links. Smile
vidafenomenal
keep talking will be better,
shivaghimire
Firstly I thank Deanhills for the link, I will try my best. Thank for others for giving me suggestions. One day I hope I'll be perfect in English and could talk to you perfectly in good and nice words. I'll follow the link now and start practice.
deanhills
shivaghimire wrote:
Firstly I thank Deanhills for the link, I will try my best. Thank for others for giving me suggestions. One day I hope I'll be perfect in English and could talk to you perfectly in good and nice words. I'll follow the link now and start practice.
The more you use it the easier it will become. Also good to drill the grammar and all the tenses through lots of repetition. Until it becomes second nature for you. Very Happy
loremar
I suggest you watch a lot of american tv shows. I did that before and it works. Not only that you can learn how to pronounce better but you can also learn some idiomatic expressions and even slangs. Try to watch some comedy shows as well so you know how to use and understand english in a humor; that will give you some personality as well. You should try that; it really works better and fast than spending money for some formal lessons.
ms_j
loremar wrote:
I suggest you watch a lot of american tv shows. I did that before and it works. Not only that you can learn how to pronounce better but you can also learn some idiomatic expressions and even slangs. Try to watch some comedy shows as well so you know how to use and understand english in a humor; that will give you some personality as well. You should try that; it really works better and fast than spending money for some formal lessons.

I absolutely agree! That's what I did (and still do). I learned English in school, but for the first 4 years of learning English I had some really bad teachers. So at that time all I had was TV and movies. Force yourself to watch them without reading subtitles. Chatting on forums also helps a lot. And for the pronunciation all you can do is speak out loud. Practice makes perfect. I'm not saying that my English is perfect, but it's not all that bad, I think.
SonLight
The site Deanhills mentioned has a few interesting activities on it. I found one quiz that will be difficult for a native English speaker to complete:

http://www.eslgo.com/quizzes/crazypvocab.html

I suppose if you've seen the movie (I haven't) the words might come naturally; for the rest of us it's a long word list and they don't seem to be the first words you think of when you read the clue!

If anyone wants to try it, feel free to discuss it here. I will be happy to explain items as best I can. If you want to try a simpler quiz or exercise, I'm open to discussing them too.
deanhills
Looks a bit crazy, agreed. Probably a section that even I would give a miss. It contains really crazy questions. Very Happy
SonLight
deanhills wrote:
Looks a bit crazy, agreed. Probably a section that even I would give a miss. It contains really crazy questions. Very Happy

All of them do have valid answers. I got 32 out of 37. It would have been a lot easier if there was a simple way to mark which words had been used already. A drag-and-drop interface would make this type of puzzle a lot more interesting.

For someone whose first language is not English, this will probably be a real challenge, but worthwhile to improve vocabulary. Use a dictionary and ask questions here if some of them don't make sense.
deanhills
SonLight wrote:
For someone whose first language is not English, this will probably be a real challenge, but worthwhile to improve vocabulary. Use a dictionary and ask questions here if some of them don't make sense.
Agreed. But it may perhaps be more beneficial to start with the doable parts of the Website first. Great score! I'll try it tonight when I'm back at home. Very Happy

Ha! Just tried it and I scored 37 out of 37. But it was definitely not easy. I copied all the words, lined them up, then memorized them more or less as I started to fill in the blanks, then ticked them off. I had to think about some of them.
Bluedoll
Step # 1 Get empty tea cup, fill with earl grey, add your preference of milk, lemon, sugar etc.
Step # 2 Lift cup up to your mouth holding with thumb and finger pointing smallest finger into the air
Step # 3 Repeat to yourself three times before drinking, “I am better than anyone else in the world because I am Eng-lash.”
Step # 4 If someone says something to you, say, “NoN-since, you bloody-well dan’t know what yer talking a bout.”
Step # 5 Then ask yourself why you want to?

Laughing
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
Step # 5 Then ask yourself why you want to? Laughing
Is this relating to the crazy people vocabulary puzzle or just generally trying to work on improving English? The puzzle is quite fun, you should try it. It took me quite a while to do, as some of the meanings don't quite match the words, but it's like a puzzle, in the end one can match the words by elimination. What's that saying about there always being more than one way to skin a cat .... Very Happy
the-guide
deanhills wrote:
Why not try ESL: English as a Second Language. It is a free course.

Thank you very much for the link, that's very useful for me too.

kirii
My mother tongue is chinese,so my english isn't that good/fluent also.
btw for threadstarter,i would suggest you to read more english newspaper,and most importantly,speak english with your friends
sudipbanerjee
English as Second Language (www.eslgo.com) is a very good site. It will helpful to me.
Arty
Music is a good way to learn a language. I know a lot of people who have learned Japanese by listening to music.
deanhills
Arty wrote:
Music is a good way to learn a language. I know a lot of people who have learned Japanese by listening to music.
Right! As well as watching movies in a foreign language.
Very Happy
malaysia
to shivaghimire, my opininon, u can open google translate. it is easy language translation tool.
u can choose ur own language, translate it to english and also listen it pronunciation. enjoy it.
deanhills
malaysia wrote:
to shivaghimire, my opininon, u can open google translate. it is easy language translation tool.
u can choose ur own language, translate it to english and also listen it pronunciation. enjoy it.
The translator is not always very effective, as it may come up with words with different meanings. Particularly in the case of English where one word can mean many things. It also can't teach you English grammar.
airh3ad
I admit i have a poor English but i understand what's the meaning sometime the way i speak is poor and my grammar. no worries at all there is a Google translate and i have my dictionary to help me improve my English.
Insanity
You can look for online partners to Skype with and talk to in order to improve your English.
cresvale
just speak loudly, then you will feel it. Smile
deanhills
samuelarnold wrote:
You should try to speak English always without frustration of making mistakes.
Good point. Which I think comes mostly the more regularly you use it. The best part is when you are not conscious of whether you make mistakes and that encourages you to speak more freely.
Draught
See as possible of speaking & writing English with some grammatical mistakes @ first time will make some speedy communication with fluent in such a practice in the future..
The_unnamed_label
shivaghimire wrote:
I think I am quite poor in English or I not confident. I can write something but I can't speak well. My mother tongue is Nepali and there is less practice in speaking English so I want to practice English. English language will help me a lot in my future very much so I want to start learning English now. You may know many such sites which teaches English. I hope you will help me to learn English more than this. Waiting your reply.
Thank you.

I improved my english in no time using social networks and skype/msn with english or american people.
is there any thing you particularly like? if so I'd suggest you to try and meet people who share your interest and spend time chatting with them... real time conversation with natives is the best in my opinion..

good luck Smile
congra
i think if you usually go to forum like this site ,you can improve your english quickly. reading others' posts and try to answer their questions.
metalfreek
Well the first thing to do is to start some study of English literature. You can watch English movies and TV series to improve your listening skill. I am also not a native English speaker so during my learning process I used to listen to BBC world News on Radio most of the time and I think that habit helped me improve my listening skill.
chatrack
Hi,

1. Read loudly, text books
2. Make a speech in front of mirror
3. Talk to others in English
faten
many people said that listening to an English news will help..

best regards
rajpk
for this purpose you should try to speak English with others...reading and writting is basic things..only matter is to speak english.
and if you want only read write, this will be easy to read forum posts and write replies to these post.
but as i said to you you should concentrate on speaking English. also you can use messngers to make voice chat with people.
you can speak with your friend on everyday issues. and from Google and you tube you will find lot of links to learn english.
but these will help on listening of english
you can join institute also to learn english

so keep in mind these suggestions , after this you can able to
Read/write
Speak/listen

important is speak and listen
thanks