FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wi-Fi in entire office

_AVG_
Hi, I need to set up WiFi in my entire office (which encompasses two floors of a building). Preferably, I'd like to use only one Primary Base Station (and if possible, only Apple Products since my office uses only Macs). I currently have an incoming wired Internet Connection in one of the rooms (should I introduce more in other rooms as well or is it possible to wirelessly transport it to the rest of the office?). Also, due to extra thick concrete walls (and lots of shelves of books, etc. the average network range gets reduced by about 50% in the office).

Any suggestions?
menino
You can use Access points, and both wired as well as wireless Access Points.
Wired is preferred to get more bandwidth. You can use wireless, obviously, if you dont want the wired hassles, but from experience, it would be preferred to go for wired, as it sometimes can be more convenient, and use wireless as a backup, in case the wired connections do not work.

A good product is Netgear and they come in white as well, and almost looks like an apple product.

For internal office where there are lots of obstructions, you can try and put the wireless access points on the ceiling, i.e. just above the fall ceiling, or underneath it also, to get better coverage.
There are also separate antennas that act as signal boosters to get more coverage.
Asap170
menino wrote:
You can use Access points, and both wired as well as wireless Access Points.
Wired is preferred to get more bandwidth. You can use wireless, obviously, if you dont want the wired hassles, but from experience, it would be preferred to go for wired, as it sometimes can be more convenient, and use wireless as a backup, in case the wired connections do not work.

A good product is Netgear and they come in white as well, and almost looks like an apple product.

For internal office where there are lots of obstructions, you can try and put the wireless access points on the ceiling, i.e. just above the fall ceiling, or underneath it also, to get better coverage.
There are also separate antennas that act as signal boosters to get more coverage.

I believe you need to make sure it's setup with the same network name and password and everything so that it will switch over when you enter a new area.
deanhills
menino wrote:
you can try and put the wireless access points on the ceiling, i.e. just above the fall ceiling, or underneath it also, to get better coverage.
That's exactly where ours are at work, above the fall ceiling. They did it in bits and pieces, one floor at a time.
BadBBilly
menino wrote:

Look for a highGain Omni directional 9dBi or Greater Antenna hooked into a Wireless AP Booster for superior signal strength & distance.

You will be amazed at the signal distance/quality gained from this setup.