FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Phone Carriers and Data Packages

Asap170
Don't you think phone carriers are getting a little ridiculous with their data packages? I want to get the HTC Tropy (Verizon) and the phone is going to cost either $99 or $149 (Not sure which cause I was at Best Buy and it was $99 but now on their website $149) So once I pay for that I have to pay $30 a month. That's $360 a year not including my text and talk. It is for 2GBbandwidth, but come on do a family plan or something with the data package! I don't have a job I basically have an income of $25 a week sometimes more. That's it. And it's only for 2.5 months.

Note for people. Verizon just changed their Bandwidth so check it out. It use to be unlimited.
Ankhanu
Asap170 wrote:
I don't have a job I basically have an income of $25 a week sometimes more. That's it. And it's only for 2.5 months.

Maybe you shouldn't be buying a smartphone?? Seems like a pretty poor/irresponsible financial choice to me.
Bikerman
My thought precisely. I do have a job, earn a reasonable amount and don't have, or particularly want, a smartphone.
If you can't afford it DON'T BUY IT.
deanhills
I'm the same. I've got to watch where my money goes and that is one area where I've never "joined the club". All my friends and colleagues, even those who can't afford it, seem to have either an iPhone or Blackberry. Just to communicate with their friends. For me that's a bit bizarre.

Asap. I must say however, the services in North America are expensive. I remember when I was last visiting Canada that the cost was just too high to consider a short stay SIM card like I would do with any country I would visit. Where I am in the Middle East it is much cheaper. The Blackberry and iPhone services are more expensive though as one has to pay for airtime. But for my cell phone it is cheaper to have a cell phone than a landline phone. Particularly if one did it with pre-paid cards.

Anyway, I've been wondering at the same time whether Frihost may be going "Mobile" one of these days too? Seems to be quite fashionable to make Forum posts from a Blackberry, iPhone or iPad.
Very Happy
Asap170
Ankhanu wrote:
Asap170 wrote:
I don't have a job I basically have an income of $25 a week sometimes more. That's it. And it's only for 2.5 months.

Maybe you shouldn't be buying a smartphone?? Seems like a pretty poor/irresponsible financial choice to me.

I have EnV3 right now and it's a piece of crap. Now there is only like 5 phones that have a keyboard and they are all crappy. Also, I want a touch screen. Cause I am like that!
Ankhanu
The point was that you make very little money, $200/mo. is normally not enough to cover actual needs, let alone delving into materialistic wants. Your priorities seem messed a bit.

My phone only has a keyboard!! With your income you're lucky to have a phone at all, let alone one with a keyboard. You seem to need basics more than you need conveniences. Conveniences are what you spend your excess money on. Why not wait until you have excess money to waste instead of likely putting yourself into tight(er) financial situations. Want a touch screen all ya like, but it's stupid to buy one when you have no money.
Asap170
Ankhanu wrote:
The point was that you make very little money, $200/mo. is normally not enough to cover actual needs, let alone delving into materialistic wants. Your priorities seem messed a bit.

My phone only has a keyboard!! With your income you're lucky to have a phone at all, let alone one with a keyboard. You seem to need basics more than you need conveniences. Conveniences are what you spend your excess money on. Why not wait until you have excess money to waste instead of likely putting yourself into tight(er) financial situations. Want a touch screen all ya like, but it's stupid to buy one when you have no money.

Well I did have excess money but I spent most of it. Bought two computers at $700 a piece in the past 7 months...
Ankhanu
Knock yourself out, yo.
deanhills
Asap170 wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Well I did have excess money but I spent most of it. Bought two computers at $700 a piece in the past 7 months...
Sounds great Asap and made me think along computer specifications lines. I've started a new Computer Hardware Wishlist thread in the Hardware and Electronics Forum.
standready
Ankhanu wrote:

Very well said, Ankhanu, but living well beyond your means seems to be the American way.
foumy6
well they seem to be a lot better now because i got the optimus v for about $100 and my plan is unlimited text, web, and data with 300 mins and I only pay $30 a month $25 for the plan and $5 for the insurance and this is with no contract going through virgin mobile.

I do however know that my plan is no longer available and the cheapest you can get now is $35, but luckily for me I am grandfathered in Smile
william
foumy6 wrote:
well they seem to be a lot better now because i got the optimus v for about $100 and my plan is unlimited text, web, and data with 300 mins and I only pay $30 a month $25 for the plan and $5 for the insurance and this is with no contract going through virgin mobile.

I do however know that my plan is no longer available and the cheapest you can get now is $35, but luckily for me I am grandfathered in Smile

Yeah, this was probably the best smartphone plan available in America. I mean, they'll start throttling you after 2.5 GB of data transfer, but only to 250 kbps (which is still very usable). No overage charges like Verizon and AT&T. And the Optimus P500 is also a surprisingly good phone. It's a shame they raised the price, but then again it's still a lot better than other offerings.

Right now, I feel if you want a smartphone data plan, get the Walmart T-Mobile plan. It's $30/month for 100 minutes (just use VoIP if you want more), unlimited texting, and unlimited data (throttled after 5 GB). Best part is that you can bring any GSM phone (unlike Virgin Mobile). It is one of the few inexpensive data plans we have these days. And unfortunately, unlimited data seems to be a thing of the past. Sad
Robert_Redbeard
I have a Net10 Slider. $50 a month unlimited everything. Not exactly a smart phone. But it does the job I need it to do. I only really text and make a few calls a day. I can access my facebook and most mobile sites I need to access.

Being a cook, it does come in handy. I can look up repipes for stuff people want me to make that I don't currently have. It has saved my butt more than once when I have only had a couple hours notice to make something I got a request for.

They do have a smart phone. But it will be next year before it is availible in my area. The way around it would be to have it shipped in from another area and register a number with that zipcode. My current phone is set up that way. Since most of my friends live out of this area I got a number in their area so they don't have to call long distance.
rammy
I think this phone carrier is so expensive. I suggest you to get VoIP service . VoIP is a good way to save money. It is very effective service. For more information you can visit our site below.
coolclay
I would consider Republic wireless they seem to have one of the cheapest services available with unlimited everything. It's also a non-contract company so you just have to buy the phone, then it's $20 a month for everything. Far better than most prices out there. For me though I'll stick with my pay per minute Tracfone. I spend maybe $50 a year on it. Good luck with your search, and for goodness sakes don't spend more than you have on a stupid phone!
playfungames
Data rates are really expensive for mobile phones for those people who do not have a secure stream of income. I know because here in a completely different country, I can't even afford mobile data because of its high cost for a good service. I would soon be running out of mobile balance if I were to use internet normally on my phone with mobile data. So, I just chose to use wifi data and only use my mobile to make calls and send text sms'es. I sometimes use it for internet access and that's it.