FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

US military spending > Next biggest 17 countries combined

HalfBloodPrince

Source: The Economist

Just wondering what people think of this. Also interesting is that countries like China, India, and Russia, which share borders with numerous potentially hostile neighbors, spend only a small fraction of the United States. Its neighbors? Canada and Mexico...

I guess this is what happens when an empire goes guns blazing into dead-end conflicts.
deanhills
If I were from the US I would be proud of my country, I'd also feel safe, I'd rather that the US be in a situation like this than Iran or China. Cool

Quite interesting what the expenditure is in Saudi Arabia though, it's double that of the United States.
liljp617
I think we should remove our bases from Europe and various other places around the world because a large portion of them of unnecessary. We get out of the Middle East because we're accomplishing nothing of value there. We tried, good effort, let's move along.

Of course we just passed a $650 billion defense bill yesterday.
catscratches
deanhills wrote:

Quite interesting what the expenditure is in Saudi Arabia though, it's double that of the United States.
If you look another time at the graph, you'll see that Saudia Arabia's estimate is the only one that "includes public order and safety". That might very well have something to do with it.
deanhills
catscratches wrote:
deanhills wrote:

If you look another time at the graph, you'll see that Saudia Arabia's estimate is the only one that "includes public order and safety". That might very well have something to do with it.
Aha .... I thought there might have been a catch in it. Thanks for pointing it out. Cool
handfleisch
catscratches wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Yes and the US military spending statistics don't include many other military-related expenditures, for example the entire Veteran's Affairs department, military pensions and nuclear weapon research:

Quote:
This does not include many military-related items that are outside of the Defense Department budget, such as nuclear weapons research, maintenance, cleanup, and production, which is in the Department of Energy budget, Veterans Affairs, the Treasury Department's payments in pensions to military retirees and widows and their families, interest on debt incurred in past wars, or State Department financing of foreign arms sales and militarily-related development assistance. Neither does it include defense spending that is not military in nature, such as the Department of Homeland Security, counter-terrorism spending by the FBI, and intelligence-gathering spending by NASA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_States#Programs_spending_more_than_.241.5_billion

Include all that stuff and the US military budget is even more obscenely gigantic
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
Quote:
This does not include many military-related items that are outside of the Defense Department budget, such as nuclear weapons research, maintenance, cleanup, and production, which is in the Department of Energy budget, Veterans Affairs, the Treasury Department's payments in pensions to military retirees and widows and their families, interest on debt incurred in past wars, or State Department financing of foreign arms sales and militarily-related development assistance. Neither does it include defense spending that is not military in nature, such as the Department of Homeland Security, counter-terrorism spending by the FBI, and intelligence-gathering spending by NASA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_States#Programs_spending_more_than_.241.5_billion

Include all that stuff and the US military budget is even more obscenely gigantic
Thanks for pointing it out handfleisch. I can imagine when it gets to comparing Defense budgets from one country to another internationally it must be very difficult to compare apples with apples.
ocalhoun
You think -- just maybe -- it might have something to do with fighting two wars at once, as well as keeping up all activities that were going on before that?

Before the beginning of the Afghan war, US military spending was below $300 billion, which would still be greater than the next 4 countries combined, but not the next 17.
End those wars, and military spending could easily be reduced dramatically.
achowles
deanhills wrote:

That is as a percentage of their GDP. So the US spends 4.8% of their GDP on the military. Saudi Arabia is spending 10.4% of a drastically smaller sum on their military. But that is still significant given the many humanitarian problems the country is faced with.
coolclay
I am sure the economy has something to do with that large imbalance. For example military spending increasing do to wars etc, and the GDP shrinking at the same time. I just find this knew labs service from google called public data explorer, it's pretty awesome here is the US and China GDP graphs. http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:USA&dl=en&hl=en&q=us+gdp+graph#ctype=l&strail=false&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:USA:CHN&ifdim=country&hl=en&dl=en
Josso
http://mike.shannonandmike.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/death-and-taxes-2007-by-mibi.jpg - death and taxes, I'm sure many of you have seen this. heh, NRO twice budget of CIA why does that not surprise me.

This is ours... for some comparison... I think you'll find it's setup rather differently.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/UKExpenditure.svg
Looks like they might have to rethink that yellow pie slice right there soon...
catscratches
^ For anyone interested, here's a more updated version of that: http://www.wallstats.com/deathandtaxes/

... and that's downright terrifying.
gandalfthegrey
Idiotic waste of money... especially considering that China now owns the U.S. because of its overspending, mainly spent on our military.

Who do we need to defend ourselves from? The collection agency (aka China)? Are we just going to nuke each other to oblivion? Does that make you feel safe?