FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Awesome Government Website - US Defense.Gov

deanhills
I spent some time working my way through the US Defense.gov Website and am totally bowled over by it. I'd never have thought that the military could come up with something as perfect in all aspects of Web design, layout, content including up to date information, etc. as this Website. It's a real treat to work through. One can even check to see where the Defense Secretary is on any given day of the week. What is particularly great is the archiving of photos and press releases. One can basically go back to 1994 and make a study of the of US Defense. I'm almost certain it would take at least a few months to get a handle on the wealth of information it contains.

Anyway, whoever designed and are maintaining the Website have to be tops in the Industry. It this Website is an indication of the efficiency with which the Department is managed, then thumbs up for the Department. Only thing I'd really be curious to know is how much this Website would have cost to to be designed. Can imagine there has to be several staff, maybe even a whole Department working on it, some major resources have been invested in it.
Very Happy
jwellsy
That's a good source of public domain photos.
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
That's a good source of public domain photos.
Definitely. And very well organized too.
Smile
Da Rossa
Dean! I didn't know you're behind that website! Admit it!! Look at your advertisement! Lol Very Happy

Yeah, I liked the layout.

is this a kind of a response to China, India and Russia builing their cyber-armies ("blue army" in China's case), towards the american people to make them feel safer?
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Dean! I didn't know you're behind that website! Admit it!! Look at your advertisement! Lol Very Happy
Darn! Looks as though I have just been busted .... he he ...
Twisted Evil
Da Rossa
I got you. Now seriously: are you, or are you not involved?
jmlworld
Governments do not care about the design, information architect and usability of their websites. The US government websites had the same outdated and boring design until Barack "the geek" Obama took over. He had one of the most talented designers in his presidency campaign who designed the logo and website of Barack Obama.

Now check the White House, Discovery and Defense, they're all slick, modern, information oriented, social media integrated and fast loading.
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
I got you. Now seriously: are you, or are you not involved?
Seriously no. I can't even remember how I happened to land at the Website. I think I was Googling the new Secretary of Defense and then was completely bowled over by the Website and must have spent easily 45 minutes checking through some of the stuff. Maybe the Defense picked up on my curiosity or something .... Very Happy

jmlworld wrote:
Governments do not care about the design, information architect and usability of their websites. The US government websites had the same outdated and boring design until Barack "the geek" Obama took over. He had one of the most talented designers in his presidency campaign who designed the logo and website of Barack Obama.

Now check the White House, Discovery and Defense, they're all slick, modern, information oriented, social media integrated and fast loading.
And I guess they're the ones with the largest budgets too? Twisted Evil
Da Rossa
Seriously I loved the design. Can you tell what was the platform or other resources used, Joomal, a very tunned WordPress, simple notepad, what? Razz
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Seriously I loved the design. Can you tell what was the platform or other resources used, Joomal, a very tunned WordPress, simple notepad, what? Razz
I think there must have been millions of dollars put into the Website and maybe all of it was originally coded. Definitely not WordPress.
jmlworld
Da Rossa wrote:

The White House and SBA websites are running on slightly modified versions of Drupal. Recovery.gov was initially running on Drupal too, but it seems that they're using an in-house CMS at the moment.

It's encouraging to see government institutions and and departments using open-source to power up their websites. Kudos to the U.S. government.

Also the British Prime Minister's office website (Number 10) uses WordPress. The website has beautiful and unique design. Kudos to the U.K. government too.

deanhills wrote:
I think there must have been millions of dollars put into the Website and maybe all of it was originally coded. Definitely not WordPress.

Only .NET enthusiasts charge such large sum on governments and corporations. Open source community are not that mean. May be they put a budget of 200,000 - 700,000 into these websites, but I can't see millions spent on an open-source project.
Navigator
jmlworld wrote:

Only .NET enthusiasts charge such large sum on governments and corporations. Open source community are not that mean. May be they put a budget of 200,000 - 700,000 into these websites, but I can't see millions spent on an open-source project.

Defense gov is asp.net, I can see hundreds of thousands of dollars spent in those websites, which must include support for all their social media identity, editorial staff, news staff, the admin interface, audio and video production, etc...
deanhills
Navigator wrote:
jmlworld wrote:

Defense gov is asp.net, I can see hundreds of thousands of dollars spent in those websites, which must include support for all their social media identity, editorial staff, news staff, the admin interface, audio and video production, etc...
If you check through the Website you have to be right. It seems like a daily job for a team of people. There must be an investment in a few salaries of expert IT people, writers, editors, etc.
jmlworld
deanhills wrote:
Navigator wrote:
jmlworld wrote:

If you check through the Website you have to be right. It seems like a daily job for a team of people. There must be an investment in a few salaries of expert IT people, writers, editors, etc.

I agree with the daily labour expenses. I thought we were talking about the initial site development, design and hosting. It seems the government hosts on their own cloud though.
deanhills
jmlworld wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Navigator wrote:
jmlworld wrote:

I agree with the daily labour expenses. I thought we were talking about the initial site development, design and hosting. It seems the government hosts on their own cloud though.
Right! It seems to have evolved kind'a. Like the way you put it about "own cloud".
Laughing
Navigator
deanhills wrote:
jmlworld wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Navigator wrote:
jmlworld wrote:

Right! It seems to have evolved kind'a. Like the way you put it about "own cloud".
Laughing

And I am assuming top class installations and equipment, staff and security.
deanhills
Navigator wrote:
And I am assuming top class installations and equipment, staff and security.
Absolutely!
Twisted Evil
Da Rossa
By the way: has the United States build up his own BLUE ARMY yet?