FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

(Unofficial) Creative Short Writing Comp. - vote now!

Who wrote the best short story?
Bikerman
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
truespeed
100%
 100%  [ 5 ]
watersoul
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
standready
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bluedoll
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Nameless
One hundred words. One hundred coins.

Their topic? The end of the world. Vote!

For the full competition details, click here. All entries have been quoted below for your convenience. They're no more than one hundred words each, so check them all out and vote for who you think deserves to win the 1000 frih$ bonus prize!

Bikerman - Endings wrote:
A billion years since mankind received the unkindest cut of all
Did the sun take notice of the loss, and, angered at their fall,
It swelled with indignation to a huge red glowing ball,
'Till first Mercury then Mars were lost within the giant's sprawl.
Now the long dead bones of man, sublime, in the fiery final call
And wreathe the boiling earth, at last, a fitting funeral pall.

Bikerman - Junction 7A wrote:
X250-Alpha, 'controller' for this unremarkable galaxy, was curious. Her instruments showed a Type 1 civilization (Class M planet) had entered a crucial period - Junction 7A, the transition from supernaturalism to rationalism. She could not recall the probability matrix, and was briefly curious, so she thought to the search engine & retrieved the data, just at the moment her instruments indicated the former Class M planet was now a Class N.
She sighed briefly, before mentally updating the computer:

truespeed wrote:
Says on the news its the end of the world today
Coronation Streets even been cancelled
First time in 50 years.
Five minutes to go before the meteor hits
The size of Wales they say
Be ironic if it hit Wales.
I should be with family,but i wanted to spend my last moments alone
I have said my goodbyes
I just wanted time to think
Time to get my head around it
But i haven't got time
Not any more
I can hear it coming
This really is it!
........................... "Mum"

watersoul - 1st entry wrote:
He opened his eyes with the effort of a newborn, struggling, trying to focus on his new world.

The empty beer cans stared back at him conspiratorially

Even in their crushed and discarded state on the carpet, they retained a judgemental reflection of the slowly brightening morning light, reminding him, again, that he’d messed up...again.

“I guess the sky wasn’t falling in after all” he slurred aloud, with an image of Henny Penny in his mind.
It almost forced a smile...almost, but the world was still there, and now it was mocking him by its existence.

The cans remained silent

watersoul - 2nd entry wrote:
[COMPOSE MESSAGE]

Hi Mam, tried to phone you loads but its ‘network busy’ every time. I wish I could be with you now, I’d hug you to bits and tell you how much I’ve always really loved you. You gave me my life and taught me how to be a good human being, nurturing strong self belief in my heart... I just wish that strong belief hadn’t taken me so far away from you now. I’ll try to phone again, but if I can’t get through I just hope this text does, with all my love, as always xxx

[SEND]

standready wrote:
"ET phone home!"

Bluedoll - Marriageable Endings And Wishes Of True Love Beginnings wrote:
I created it.
Beautiful was my world.
Love gave me joy,
and joy kept me company
then that stolen knowledge brought a transition
to my virgin innocence,
my gifts were abused and damaged,
because left for me was a robbery,
then so much despair.
The rapist
dealt a loveless blow.
You, you send me not your flavour,
for my end is with you, you
and I have already decided,
my beginnings will be for another
and another kind of tomorrow.

I'd kind of hoped there would be a bigger turn out. ;_;
Helios
I liked both truespeed's touching story and Bikerman's "Junction 7A" which is really good.

I'll vote for truespeed whose story kind of touched me more Smile
No offence Bikerman!!!
deanhills
I also like Truespeed's submission. Mostly because I felt the end in it.
Bikerman
Helios wrote:
I liked both truespeed's touching story and Bikerman's "Junction 7A" which is really good.

I'll vote for truespeed whose story kind of touched me more Smile
No offence Bikerman!!!

LOL...none taken. As I said, I entered only to keep my writing muscles active and I don't want to be considered for any prize. If you enjoyed the story then that is prize enough.

PS - I voted for truespeed Smile
watersoul
I voted for truespeed as well, it was written in a really interesting way.

These lines made me smile...
Quote:
The size of Wales they say
Be ironic if it hit Wales.

...and it's not because I'm Welsh, I just thought it was a really clever play with words/sayings which made me smile Smile

(My second choice would have been Bikermans 'Junction 7A' story, it remined me of a story I'd read before and I've been searching through my books to find it!)
Ankhanu
I also voted truespeed's, though I also quite enjoeyed Bikerman's Junction 7A and watersoul's 1st entry... I want to like Bikerman's Endings too, but the AAA rhyme scheme put me off (sorry, dude, like the theme though Wink )
Bikerman
Ankhanu wrote:
I also voted truespeed's, though I also quite enjoeyed Bikerman's Junction 7A and watersoul's 1st entry... I want to like Bikerman's Endings too, but the AAA rhyme scheme put me off (sorry, dude, like the theme though Wink )
Yes, I wasn't pleased with it either - poetry is something I am very weak at - my verse tends to be too 'mechanical'.
Bikerman
watersoul wrote:
(My second choice would have been Bikermans 'Junction 7A' story, it remined me of a story I'd read before and I've been searching through my books to find it!)
If you do then let me know. I have a pretty big SF collection (never counted the books but it must be well into 4 figures) and I think I have everything that Asimov wrote (including his straight science books). I'm not conscious of having used an actual story of his, but I certainly tried to imitate his style.
truespeed
All 5 votes,well theres a first for me. I went for the obvious end of the world scenario,i was going to do another story less obvious,something a long the lines of someone who has worked all their lives losing their job,the thing that gave them purpose,taken away.

As for the other stories i liked bikermans Junction 7A,it displayed well the insignificance of our planet and man,just another planet falling victim to the death of its parent star.

I also like watersouls second story,as i said in another thread,it reminded me of the 9/11 voicemail messages left by those in the tower to members of their families,knowing they were about to die and leaving a goodbye message.