FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best FTP software’s for webmasters

rolandgill
I would just like to hear opinions and experiences of fellow webmasters. What do you think is the best FTP software both free and commercial?
cybersa
FileZilla no other for free version.
xSteam
cybersa wrote:

I've tried many FTP's the last few years including Filezilla and FlashFXP, but I must say Filezilla it's trully the best one. With Filezilla you can transfer multiple files simultaneously which makes the transfer faster (I personally transfer only 2 files simultaneously because some hosts limit it, but it allows you to transfer up to 10 files).
Besides, Filezilla's frequently updated and definitely easy to use.

So, in my opinion Filezila is the way to go.
SultanMA
I think u don't need a FTP software..

Hope u find the good one and share it here. thanks.
ogah
cuteftp is good
also available portable cuteftp
pirate
filezilla works best for me, never had any problems and like someone else said it is updated regularly so i would recommend that.
Josso
Yeah agreed Filezilla is good - is fast and easy to use. Used SmartFTP for quite a few years, but it got completely ruined and not really free any more. Used to get half transferred files and all kinds of weirdness.
mgeek
Visicommedia has ACE FTP free. The professional version is better though.
cnkele
rolandgill wrote:
I would just like to hear opinions and experiences of fellow webmasters. What do you think is the best FTP software both free and commercial?

I think I choose flashfxp.
It works best for me.
also cuteftp is useful ftp software.
inuyasha
I'm using cuteFTP, whose user interface is really great. Unfortunately, there's no free version of it.
kirii
filezippa,cuteftp are good..
i would recommend a good ftp software too,mostly used by china web masters
that's leap ftp Laughing
brianj
filezilla off course, but any multithreaded FTP client is good to me
u16888
I've used AceFTP, SmartFTP, and CuteFTP.

CuteFtp is good but not free, so I'll recommend Filezilla, its free n good.
codersfriend
ogah wrote:
cuteftp is good
also available portable cuteftp

yeah I use that too (the portable actually haha).. more convenient than filezilla .. you can set which folder would open when you access an ftp server
chartcentral
I'm using FTP Surfer from Whisper Technology Ltd. Smile
ms_j
I use FileZilla. It's great!
pirate
filezilla seems to work best for me, never had any problems and always seems to be really fast compared to others that iv tryed.
ogah
inuyasha wrote:
I'm using cuteFTP, whose user interface is really great. Unfortunately, there's no free version of it.
for free version use portable cuteftp
ProfessorY91
cybersa wrote:

There are other free SFTP and FTP clients, but FileZilla takes the cake because of ease of use.
socials
Filezilla is the best, faster and easy to use. This program just do what you need, transfer files at high speed.
mgeek
Coffeecup also has its FTP software. The nice thing about it is that one could edit documents from it. But of course, if one already has EditPlus, that won't be necessary.
welshsteve
I choose Filezilla everytime. Reliable, fast, simple to use and most of all FREE!!
Arty
SultanMA wrote:
I think u don't need a FTP software..

Why not? How else are you going to transfer files to your website without using a clunky web based uploader?
dude_xyx
It's hard to find alternative which can beat FileZilla. There are other good FTP software with their own specialties. But FileZilla has all these feature.
haola
I recommend filezilla,and it is best.
Asap170
I use FileZilla every day. I love it. It also gives you nice error messages to debug stuff.
ak97
I use and recoomen Filezilla. It is good,stable, free and open source.
vidafenomenal
also vote filezilla.
nivinjoy
Filezilla is the best and the most user friendly...
Radar
To say something different, I quite enjoy Cyberduck.

I'm guessing it may not be for everyone, but it works quite well for me.
nivinjoy
Radar wrote:

Cyberduck..?? Hearing it for the first time. I just googled it and found the website for it. It is available at this link:

http://cyberduck.ch/
mgeek
Radar wrote:

Good for you. I installed it and tried it and found it wanting. But of course if you find it functional, then who am I to dissuade you from using it.
Cheers!
dude_xyx
Never heard of this Cyber duck software. What makes it better than FileZilla ?
nepalstar
Till now I haven't use FTP software but through the forums and blogs I came to know that Filezilla is ideal for FTP, with Filezilla we can transfer multiple files simultaneously but some hosts limit it.

So, I'm gonna try Filezilla...! if you found any good software than Filezilla plz share with us...!
mgeek
dude_xyx wrote:

Actually, I think that it isn't better than FileZilla. Nor is it better than AceFTP Free.
pioneer987
rolandgill wrote:

I was looking for free PHP IDE With FTP support, but could not find anything,
But I started using Aptana IDE for coding and Total Commander for uploading files to the server.
Uploading files to the server to see how it works, when you are still building the website is quite time taking thing to do.
I use XAMPP server to test my website on my localhost.

Hope it was useful.
CraigHF
Best experience I had so far has been with Flezilla!
portoskt
filezilla is good enough for me
bannercy
http://www.webmaster.sheersoftware.com/best-ftp-software/
I have put together a good list of the best FTP client software. This thread was help among other resources so I thought I reply here.
Hexes
I'm a linux user and I've got two favourite ftp clients.
GUI:
Filezilla - its free, its fast, its reliable. Official website: http://filezilla-project.org/
Personally i don't like programs with GUI that's the main reason why I abandoned filezilla.

Console:
LFTP - that's my way to go. It's very reliable client. I can say it's rock solid. Some users probably will say that lack of the gui is the main disadvantage of this client but for me it works perfect. I don't need all those fancy buttons and controls. I need a powerful, fast and free ftp client. If your needs are the same then lftp will definitely suits you.
portoskt
i always use filezilla for this purpose, and i dont need anything better
sukhjinder
I started with Filezilla and liked it. I find it better than WinSCP. the reason I say this is because FileZilla better recovers from broken connections. BTW both are free.
meiz
Filezilla Portable. Arrow
Blummer
Don't know what to say, I myself use Filezilla. When editing files directly on server, I used an external editor and there you go. I think it's just perfect.
ankur209
I am using FILEZILLA from last two years and is quite satisfied with it !

It has got a simple understandable usr interface where even a novice can learn how to simply upload and access the server panel ! Cool
kmontano
On my windows systems I always used Filezilla with great results. When I moved to Mac recently I began trying out different clients, namely Cyberduck. I really could not figure out the interface and found it to perform below my standards. I ended up going back to Filezilla on my Mac. It seems to be the only suitable free solution.
miteY
I go with FileZilla because it is popular and has awesome support
ilmkidunya
Cute FTP is the best and fastest
mgeek
ilmkidunya wrote:
Cute FTP is the best and fastest

Back in the early 2000s I used to work with CuteFTP and CuteHTML. Right now I couldn't say that CuteFTP is "best and fastest".
dude_xyx
mgeek wrote:
dude_xyx wrote:

Actually, I think that it isn't better than FileZilla. Nor is it better than AceFTP Free.

Well nothing to be excited about then. I never had to find an alternative for Filezilla ever since I have started using it. It used to save passwords in a just ordinary file which was a bad flow but all you had to do was not letting it to save your passwords. It's the best way to keep security up anyway.
portoskt
after i use many of them, filezilla is my favourite
Chellesei
I haven't tried those payed FTP clients so I can't really say which one.
But for free versions, I like FileZilla is the best. Very Happy
therimalaya
Simple, lightweight, free- filezilla is the one we need
nivinjoy
The Final Verdict..

FILEZILLA

Nothing else can pose a threat to its position.. Very Happy
mrdecoteau
I use Core FTP LE. It is very minimalistic but is easy to use with a nice, simple interface.
jcreus
I've only used FileZilla and I'm happy with it. It works more than fine, with many features.
tamilparks
FileZilla FTP Client is the best FTP software
gaconex
FileZilla is the best

Overview
FileZilla Client is a fast and reliable cross-platform FTP, FTPS and SFTP client with lots of useful features and an intuitive graphical user interface.

Features
Among others, the features of FileZilla include the following:

Easy to use
Supports FTP, FTP over SSL/TLS (FTPS) and SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
Cross-platform. Runs on Windows, Linux, *BSD, Mac OS X and more
IPv6 support
Available in many languages
Supports resume and transfer of large files >4GB
Tabbed user interface
Powerful Site Manager and transfer queue
Bookmarks
Drag & drop support
Configurable transfer speed limits
Filename filters
Directory comparison
Network configuration wizard
Remote file editing
Keep-alive
HTTP/1.1, SOCKS5 and FTP-Proxy support
Logging to file
Synchronized directory browsing
Remote file search

and it's free
Navigator
Filezilla has worked good for me (butI can't really say I have much ground for comparison as its the only one I have used)
tamilparks
gaconex wrote:
FileZilla is the best

Overview
FileZilla Client is a fast and reliable cross-platform FTP, FTPS and SFTP client with lots of useful features and an intuitive graphical user interface.

Features
Among others, the features of FileZilla include the following:

Easy to use
Supports FTP, FTP over SSL/TLS (FTPS) and SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
Cross-platform. Runs on Windows, Linux, *BSD, Mac OS X and more
IPv6 support
Available in many languages
Supports resume and transfer of large files >4GB
Tabbed user interface
Powerful Site Manager and transfer queue