FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

3 photos for a Nature Competition

wellerchap
Critique welcome, if you have any comments....
The stipulations are the subject matter must be naturally occurring (plants/animals/birds/scenery) & pretty much unaffected by man.

Jackdaw

Upper Swaledale, North Yorkshire

Female Mallard
deanhills
The landscape is amazing. And perfect. Wow! Great shot. That's the absolute best one.

I'd have liked some more background with the branches behind the Blackdaw. Feels like too much Blackdaw in the photo. The female mallard is a much better pic. Great photo. Would have been nice if the water could have been more in focus and shiny and maybe the mallard a little more centred in the photo.
wellerchap
Thanks Dean...I have a feeling the judge may not want landscapes - just birds/animals, so I may get marked down on that one....the Blackdaw's a Jackdaw Very Happy and the mallard has the best photographic detail...the offset is to give it artistic value (on a "third" and all that), but I agree there's too much room for the bird to "look into".
emanuel2
the first photo is not so special, but the duck is well captured
wellerchap
I think the problem with the first shot is the background's too busy - and over all the problem I'm up against is that lots of my clubmates go out on field trips to target particular shots - the winner will probably be a hawk swooping down, tallons outstretched, just about to scoop up a startled rabbit, all played out in front of a stunning sunset!
Shocked
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
Thanks Dean...I have a feeling the judge may not want landscapes - just birds/animals, so I may get marked down on that one....the Blackdaw's a Jackdaw Very Happy and the mallard has the best photographic detail...the offset is to give it artistic value (on a "third" and all that), but I agree there's too much room for the bird to "look into".
They are exceptional in detail however, did you submit them for the competition?

It's a pity you could not submit the landscape photo. It is pretty awesome.
Very Happy
wellerchap
I did use the landscape dean, but the judge thought it was all a bit unsharp Rolling Eyes

Here's 1st, 2nd & 3rd, just to show what I'm up against Crying or Very sad

uira
Did you take those photos? They look really amazing. A beast of a camera you must have Smile

Really good Smile

pd: I didn't like the 1 winner. Too edge-sharp in my opinion TBH.
wellerchap
No, I took the top three shots in this thread - other members of my camera club took the following three.
LegendVPN
I like the third pic, the Female Mallard.
Btw, how did the competition go?
wellerchap
I did OK, but didn't get near to winning - those 3 above took the prizes, and rightly so...I hardly ever SEE dragonflies, let alonr am near enough to them long enough to take a stunning photo !
deanhills
The photo of that owl is STUNNING! Wonder how many photos the photographer had taken to get this one perfect shot? Cool
Parkour_Jarrod
The picture of the owl did deserve it it is astounding, but personally i loved the landscape and the lighting created by the cloud coverage on that day
deanhills
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
The picture of the owl did deserve it it is astounding, but personally i loved the landscape and the lighting created by the cloud coverage on that day
Agreed. The landscape is awesome. Better anyway than the dragon flies.
Tinamathur
I think you share the best picture of my life ever seen.
Great pics. It is so nice .I have not any argument about these pics.They are so beautiful.
Thanks for sharing this post.
wellerchap
Why thank you, though if you think these are the best pictures you've ever seen, you really must look at more Very Happy
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
Why thank you, though if you think these are the best pictures you've ever seen, you really must look at more Very Happy
Exactly what was going through my mind. Am dying for more Wellerchap pix! Very Happy

I particularly like your landscape studies and travel pix. As well as photos of your scooters. Do you remember that macabre photo you took of impaled bats? Twisted Evil I can't remember where you posted it.

Aha .... found it - A Strange and Rather Barbaric Custom:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-942530.html#942530

OK. They're not bats - moles?
wellerchap
Two factors are affecting the amount I get out these days, Dean....one is the cost of fuel, making it prohibitive to do any more than just short journeys, or the commute to work...and the second is the scooter I'm currently using is dull & (in my eyes) unattractive, so the interest not there, nor is the sense of satisfaction riding it 100 miles or so to somewhere new.
Having said that, Stripey George's resurrection is on the menu for Spring this year, so you never know.....
I'd forgotten about the moles, but now you mention it, the pie was delicious Shocked
kenxeiko
Yee, that Owl picture is awesome..
I like the landscape, and it's hard to take picture when the own almost landed to the ground

Btw wait, i think that owl wanted to catch a mouse maybe? lol Laughing
kmontano
Awesome photos. Great job!