FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Incense...?

quex
While I understand it has been a staple in many religions and cultures worldwide for well over a thousand years, I have recently read some stuff that suggests incense could be a carcinogenic (cancer-causing) pollutant. Studies were generally performed in environments where incense some was exceptionally high, IE temples and clergy that inhabit them... but this makes me wonder, of the common ingredients of incense, are any known carcinogens even without being directly burned? Myrrh, aloewood, sandalwood, patchouli, ambergris, makko... are any of them carcinogenic before combustion?

If you use incense, are there any that you avoid because of health risks you have read or suspect?

And on a lesser note, does anybody have any recipes for making incense at home, or any good sites for buying authentic stuff? I'm trying to find a way to scent my house with almond without using those artificial alcohols and sugary crap they sell in cheap head shops.
deanhills
When I first started working in the UAE there were quite a few people burning incense in their offices. Then about within a year of that it was banned as a fire hazard. I never realized it was carcinogenic. Incense is used in almost every household in the area where I am living. As people like perfume smells.
quex
deanhills wrote:
When I first started working in the UAE there were quite a few people burning incense in their offices. Then about within a year of that it was banned as a fire hazard. I never realized it was carcinogenic. Incense is used in almost every household in the area where I am living. As people like perfume smells.

Regarding incense as a fire hazard, what burning method do they use in the UAE? (I watched an elderly Buddhist monk in Iwate prefecture accidentally set his sleeve alight with a burning trail of cedar chips once.)

Got any myrrh on sale around your part of the world? :) Very hard to find in the west.
Ashebrook
I burn incense from time to time. My fave is Nag Champa. I find it lifts my mood. Smile
quex
Quote:
My fave is Nag Champa.

I love Nag too. It's the perfect mix of earth and flowers... not too sweet or thick.