FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Retrieving files from your iPod.

davidv
For the past 3 hours I've been trying to find a way to extract music from my iPod. I searched the internet to find a solution and this was what I ended up doing. I know there's a lot of people that's trying to do this and finding it really difficult... some, near impossible. So I thought I'd just post how I did it and maybe this could help you.

First I'd like to point out, my iPod is an iPod touch 2nd gen, v4.2.1.

NOTE:
- I had to jailbreak my iPod in order to do this -- I'm going to assume that it's already been jailbroken. I'm not entirely sure if you can still do this without the need to jailbreak, you'll have to do some of your own additional research.

Step 1.

Open Cydia and on their home page go to "Copying Files to/from Device".

Step 2.

There should now be a bunch of different links that allows you to retrieve files from your iPod. I downloaded and installed the OpenSSH app.

Step 3.

Now that you have OpenSSH installed, you then need to find out what your iPod's IP address is. To do this, go to Setting > Wi-Fi.

Step 4.

Now that you know what your iPod's IP address is, you need to download PuTTY and WINSCP. Just type it into Google. It was at this point that I realized it's the exact same way I use to remotely access my University files at home.

Step 5.

Open up PuTTY and where it says "Host Name (or IP Address)" go ahead and type in your iPod's IP address. Make sure the port is set at 22 (it should be the default).

Once you've done that, a prompt will come up, click yes (it took a while for the prompt to pop up for me, this could be the same for you). Login as root and type in alpine as the password.

Code:
login as: root
root@192.168.0.2's password:
Davids-iPod:~ root#

That's the result. Notice that nothing will appear when you type in your password.

Step 6.

This is the last step. Open WINSCP. Type in the IP address as the host, root as the username and alpine as the password. Again, make sure the port is 22. Now all you have to do is navigate your way to the directory which stores all the music.

Code:
/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music

That's where all mine were. You may also notice that the file names of your mp3 files are a bit funny looking. Not to worry though, once you've copied them over, the title and artist names are still there. Only the file name has been changed.

Anyway, that's how I managed to get all my music back. I hope this helps.
Fire Boar
Nice tip. Is step 5 (and downloading PuTTY) really necessary? Of course, it's nice to confirm that you can get in, but WINSCP has its own SSH client.

Still, I'd do it that way anyway if I were using Windows since PuTTY (or Cygwin with openssh-client) is an invaluable tool for a Windows computer to have.
kirii
i think there is some software that was created just to extract files from apple products.
For example,Pod to Mac which i'm using now,however it is not a freeware.
try to google it and you will find more of them
FunDa
I simply connect to a Windows computer and search for *.mp3

The file names are weird, but I can copy the mp3 files into the computer and play them. The Artist and Song Name Tags are proper, so they are shown in Winamp and Windows Media Player
neelgo
Nice tips
cielo
There's a tool that can transfer files from iPod to computer and vice versa. It's called iBackuper. After I've found it I don't use iTunes at all - it's very easy to use and does it job well. However you should note that iTunes still should be installed on your computer in order to use this tool. But it gives you lots of advantages, that's why I'm using it now every time I need to tranfer music to or from my iPod.