FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SPAM - not just canned meat!

Helios
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_%28electronic%29 wrote:
Spam is the use of electronic messaging systems (including most broadcast media, digital delivery systems) to send unsolicited bulk messages indiscriminately.

I encourage all faithful FriHost users to report any users/post with various links and text that's used for promoting and advertising.
Most of the time I'm here I'm locking spam posts and banning spammers... it's annoying, you see, and those posts add unnecessary ugliness to our boards Sad

A typical spam post:
Quote:
As more potential clients turn to internet technologies, to get information on your services, form a relationship with you and then finally turn those relationships into sales, your internet presence will play a very crucial role in the success of your business. However, while choosing a professional website design (<-- link to some website which sells designs) firm to get you the above mentioned presence, it is better not to go to large corporations.

Be wary and help us out guys, the report system is a wonderful thing Smile
Read more about it if you don't know what I'm talking about: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-67984.html

For those of you who already actively report - thanks.

Josso
Ah my bad, saw one the other day and forgot about the report button... even though it's right next to quote.

Embarassed
Nameless
This thread is now a spam thread!

Very Happy
Bikerman
I'll add (oops) my voice to that. I check the reports routinely when I logon and it saves SOOO much time for the mods if people have reported spam.

I'm a dog lover, as some people will know (and others will accuse), so please don't make me do it...
deanhills
Helios wrote:
I encourage all faithful FriHost users to report any users/post with various links and text that's used for promoting and advertising.
I see, so this is the thanks we "faithful" Frihost users get for hitting the report post over and over AND OVER again, sometimes simultaneously for literally years now? You don't thank them, you just go on demanding more.

Tch tch .... I'm so NOT impressed ..... !

To be truthful, I've given up over the last two weeks or so doing that. For me to keep on hitting the report spam button I've actually got to see those spams disappearing. Sometimes they seem to linger beyond the point of irritation. So why bother reporting them if no one is paying attention, nor seem to appreciate our efforts of reporting them either?
Helios
deanhills wrote:
Helios wrote:
I see, so this is the thanks we "faithful" Frihost users get for hitting the report post over and over AND OVER again, sometimes simultaneously for literally years now? You don't thank them, you just go on demanding more.

Tch tch .... I'm so NOT impressed ..... !

To be truthful, I've given up over the last two weeks or so doing that. For me to keep on hitting the report spam button I've actually got to see those spams disappearing. Sometimes they seem to linger beyond the point of irritation. So why bother reporting them if no one is paying attention, nor seem to appreciate our efforts of reporting them either?

I'll quote some stuff from this thread:
Bikerman wrote:
when I logon and it saves SOOO much time for the mods if people have reported spam.

I think he's thankful...
Myself wrote:
the report system is a wonderful thing

... meaning that I'm thankful for the reports.

Oh we are very very thankful for the reports, be sure of that, and we do remove as much of the spam as we can. I wish we could eliminate it, but the force of the spam is growing stronger Sad

Err... I'm also not demanding anything.

PS I thank you personally, sir Deanhills, for the many times the report button was touched by your mouse marker! Very Happy
cybersa
I'm going to report all spam thread in our Firhost.
It will help the moderate.
Starting this work today.
deanhills
Helios wrote:
PS I thank you personally, sir Deanhills, for the many times the report button was touched by your mouse marker! Very Happy
I don't need any thanks for myself Helios, I'm hardly the only one reporting spam. You can get us to report as much spam as you like, but it still needs a Moderator to kill the spam. The only time when I see spam disappearing fast, after I have reported it, is when Ocalhoun is around. mOrpheuS, is also on to spam on the double when he is around and I'm certain Bondings too. Ocalhoun also patrols the areas on the Board that are notorious for spam. You can see his anti-spam footprints all over the board. Now that kind of dedication is what motivates me to push the report button.
menino
I think moderating spams is an arduous task.
I personally have the task of handling emails spams on a daily basis, and mostly the mails held as spams are actual spams, but then a few mails are legitimate business mails, and have to be released. The system takes time to learn the legitimate ones, but still, there are new business emails held from new business contacts.

Moderating any given system is resource intensive, and can get boring, and I know the moderators are doing a great job.

A suggestion would be to move the "reported spam" posts into another category (call it HELD SPAMS, if you want), and then the moderator can evaluate it all at one go, but at least the rest of the users will not see the spams.
standready
If you see this reply "I like eggs with my spam!" then a topic has been reported. There are many other 'TOS' violations that should be reported as well. Kindly help the Mods!

Trying to make our community safer one report at a time. Smile
Bikerman
deanhills wrote:
I don't need any thanks for myself Helios, I'm hardly the only one reporting spam. You can get us to report as much spam as you like, but it still needs a Moderator to kill the spam. The only time when I see spam disappearing fast, after I have reported it, is when Ocalhoun is around. mOrpheuS, is also on to spam on the double when he is around and I'm certain Bondings too. Ocalhoun also patrols the areas on the Board that are notorious for spam. You can see his anti-spam footprints all over the board. Now that kind of dedication is what motivates me to push the report button.
LOL...but bikerman, of course, is a lazy bugger and doesn't do his share?
Fortunately the logs are available to the mods, so they can quickly see just how much spam I ROUTINELY delete on an almost daily basis.
Quote:

A suggestion would be to move the "reported spam" posts into another category (call it HELD SPAMS, if you want), and then the moderator can evaluate it all at one go, but at least the rest of the users will not see the spams.
This is in fact what we do. We move spam, and other postings which are in breach of the TOS, into a folder called 'Spamcan'. It isn't visible to normal users but that is where we park any 'removed' postings.
Helios
deanhills wrote:
Helios wrote:

Glad to hear that. Indeed the mods you've mentioned are great guys Smile
I agree with you that there should be more moderators to battle the SPAM. Unfortunately choosing one is very difficult, that's why we don't have many moderators.
I also edited the main post a bit.