FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Math in webpages

saberlivre
While the major browsers are slow to implement MathML, several interesting alternatives have emerged.
One is MathJax www.mathjax.org, which allows the math to be seen in the content of your webpage.
Just put this in the <head> section
Code:
<script type="text/javascript"
   src="http://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js">
</script>

and write the latex (or mathml) code in the body
Code:
$$\begin{aligned}
\nabla \times \vec{\mathbf{B}} -\, \frac1c\, \frac{\partial\vec{\mathbf{E}}}{\partial t} & = \frac{4\pi}{c}\vec{\mathbf{j}} \\   \nabla \cdot \vec{\mathbf{E}} & = 4 \pi \rho \\
\nabla \times \vec{\mathbf{E}}\, +\, \frac1c\, \frac{\partial\vec{\mathbf{B}}}{\partial t} & = \vec{\mathbf{0}} \\
\nabla \cdot \vec{\mathbf{B}} & = 0 \end{aligned}$$

and the Maxwell Equations are displayed

Laughing
Dialogist
That's pretty cool but it won't validate and it's probably not cross browser/platform either. Which in turn will hurt your seo. Robots sometimes won't crawl pages that their spiders can get trapped in and also I hear that well written valid syntax is a calling card to search engine agents that you're somebody who can be (more) trusted (than your competitors). This is why wiki uses images of the math symbols and other hacksys like embedding fonts which is generally practice too. I mean it won't hurt your page, probably improve the user experience. But the user experience depends on being visible and if you're not in good standing with search engines, you don't really have any users. Just my two cents.
saberlivre
Great advice. Thanks, Dialogist