FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Friend's Steam/Games Not Working

weableandbob
Today, my friend bought a few games that were on sale during the Steam Summer Sale, among them Deus Ex and Monday Night Combat. However, he has problems running both those games. Deus Ex suffers from a very bad framerate (not sure of the exact number, but he says that it is unplayable). Monday Night Combat, on the other hand, refuses to start. When he launches the game, the "Preparing to launch Monday Night Combat" box appears for a second and then disappears without running the game. He has verified the files, updated his video card drivers, and restarted Steam/his computer several times, and nothing has changed.

Any ideas on fixing this?
Josso
Is his machine past minimum spec? I say past because I had a Steam copy of GTA IV, I also had a normal DVD copy of GTA IV... why? you ask... well, I can play the disc copy ad mid-range graphics but the Steam copy I was lucky to get 15 fps on the same settings. Depending on your CPU and a few other things stuff doesn't run well with Steam in the background.

I would say update the game, but if it's on steam presumably it's auto downloaded the latest. I know it's tempting (price wise usually) but I would recommend in the future not buying games from Steam I've made the same mistake.

Checked the usual stuff? Virus scan? Whats the CPU like outside of the game?
weableandbob
It's definitely not crappy hardware: he has an HD 5870, a Core i7, and 6 gigs of RAM. He has Steam set up to automatically download all the updates, so that should be all fine. His CPU is fine outside games.