FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Core Engineering or IT ?

Engineering in IT or Non IT ?
IT
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
Non-IT (Core)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not yet decided
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

bukaida
The high school students, in India, are on the verge of the entrance to the various BE & B Tech courses. The obvious question for the candidate is what to choose. Is it some core engineering like Electrical, Mechanical ,Civil etc or the IT subjects like computer Science, IT, information science etc. The core field has less ups and downs during the recession which comes periodically in IT field. On the other hand the maximum number of jobs available is in the field of IT with good pay packages. So studying a core for four years and then doing an IT job will make the person frustrated. So what is your opinion ? An IT or non-IT ?
standready
Which do you enjoy the most? That you should be your choice. Studying to be in a career that you end up disliking would be a big mistake.
mexiwithacan
In general, I agree with standready that you should just pick what you enjoy the most. However, this may be difficult to accept if you live in a hyper-competitive environment and you don't have confidence that you will rise to the top.

If you're really worried about job placement, maybe instead of picking something you enjoy, you should pick something that you're good at.

This blog post I just found about job placement in education makes three good points that I think apply to all industries:
  1. Be flexible in terms of location.
  2. Pick the major that's most in demand in your region or country, assuming that's where you want to stay.
  3. Whatever the major, make sure you do well in school and in your internships.
ocalhoun
IT professionals are becoming very common -- which drives the price (wages) of them down.
Plus, with better automated systems, and more 'disposable' systems, demand for them is also going down.

An engineering education would be more lucrative and provide a more solidly assured future, I think.

(That consideration, of course, should be secondary to your personal preference as to what you want to do with your life. Better to be poor and happy than to be rich and unsatisfied.)
shomesnehanjan
I am a Non it engineer (Mechanical Engg) but am the founder of an IT frim in india. So in the longer run it is all the same.
menino
Studying core and then doing IT would be ok in the beginning, just to get your feet in the water and see how it goes for a year... as experience in the environment, i.e. if you don't get a core job in the beginning itself.
After a while, you can ask your manager for a transfer to the core department of that company... or keep looking for core jobs until you find one.
The job market is frustrating actually, but be patient and keep your head on straight. Cool
davidv
If you're still having problems deciding maybe you should find a course that provides both IT and engineering as core units so you can experience what it's like first hand, like I have. Now, after almost a year, I can safely say... I love computer science but not so much electrical engineering.
timetorock
Check your likings... make sure what is choose is what you have passion for. Let what u do in future never feel like burden to u and if you can manage to study what you enjoy, you'll certainly work hard and still love it. That's the key to succcess..... don't follow what others say, follow your heart.
johans
Information Technology is a new course while engineering has different field... i am a degree of Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communications Engineering but i did not focus on electronics and Communication i ended up in Information Techonology.. There are many works offered in Information Technology compared with Electronics and Communications Engineering.
ankurthakur
It depends on your choice... I am doing B. Tech in CSE(computer science eng.) from MD University because I am having interest in programming and software stuff.
There are some people who have good skills in computer but they go with electronics or low grade course like BCA.

I would better say that currently most of the jobs are in fields excluding IT like Civil engineering.

IT has got its position too much down after the recession. But I hope that there will be much more scope in IT soon...
johans
Well, I agree..

Quote:
I would better say that currently most of the jobs are in fields excluding IT like Civil engineering.

but i think the demands of work is also depends on what country are you. Here in the Philippines Civil engineering is not that much demand. Information technology is a common and in demand but it also depends your skills because there are many Information Technology graduates that i know which is still struggling to find jobs.
ocalhoun
johans wrote:
Information technology is a common and in demand [...] there are many Information Technology graduates that i know which is still struggling to find jobs.

These two statements seem mutually exclusive.

Not sure about the Philippines, but in the US, IT was in high demand... in the 90's. But then, technology became more reliable and started needing less maintenance, technology became cheaper (making replacement often cheaper than repair), and IT personnel became much more common... which means that it was no longer that great of a field to get into.

Regular engineering, though, has a much more stable demand, and is much less likely to see a crash in demand.
bukaida
The demand of IT is more in developing countries than in developed countries. In a developing country like India, most of the documents still require pens and papers and a physical intervention. However in developed country most of the things are paperless and online. So the scope of developing new software is limited there. The only job is to maintain the existing ones ( that too is mostly done by outsourcing). The job in IT field is really limited here.
johans
i agree with bukaida " The demand of IT is more in developing countries than in developed countries. In a developing country like India, most of the documents still require pens and papers and a physical intervention."

but these also depends on the company you are working in your country. depends on the budget.

what amazed me most is your signature and i like that

"SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE DO NOT DO DIFFERENT THINGS
THEY DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY."

cool