FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

He killed his 2 kids and he could be free in 45 days

pll
Yup, here's a story which doesn't make me proud of my country today, I know it's not a "WORLD NEWS" but I think people will get horrified with what just happened.

Here's a link so you can read the full story :
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/07/05/quebec-turcotte-verdict.html

Wrap-up :
His girlfriend cheated him.
He tried to kill himself by swallowing window cleaner.
The guy killed both of his kids.
He went into court and was charged for first degree killing for both of them
The jury just took the decision that he was NOT GUILTY FOR MENTAL ILLNESS (because of his troubled marriage)

How can a cardiologist could get mental illness?
What he will get ?
He will be evaluated by psychologists and could be free in 45 days if he seems not dangerous for the society.

It makes me mad. If he had been judged in the United-States he'd get something like 25+ years of jail.

Thoughts ?
deanhills
If anything, I hope that he will never be able to practise medicine again. If there is indeed an abnormal reason why he killed his kids, who is to say he will always be normal when he is tending to patients?

I feel sorry for the kids. And the poor mother. I guess people do strange things when they have been betrayed, but killing your own children, particularly by stabbing no less instead of poisoning them the way he chose for himself. You've got to be pretty far gone and totally crazy to do that. Perhaps this guy needs to be locked up permanently in a psychiatric home. Or if not, at least be prevented from looking after others.
Nameless
a) Your title is misleading, he'll probably be judged unsafe to the public.
b) Why wouldn't a cardiologist suffer mental illness?
c) Without actually seeing the trial, he does sound pretty crazy, yeah. Better locked up in a nuthouse with the chance of recovery than locked up in jail and maybe causing problems there.
menino
It is indeed sad to hear about innocent children being victims, and even worse is when they are victims of their own family.
If he is a cardioilogist and suffers mental illness, then he will be a liability to his patients.

I think it might be termed as temporary insanity, brought about by the recent stress that came about with his girlfriend. (Perhaps she did not want to marry him, because he had kids, and he took it out on them). I think most people love thier kids more than their spouses, but that is just my opinion.

Temporary insanity is usually also given as excuses for people undergoing trials, to allow them to be freed from jail.

This does not happen in your country only, its happening all over the world. In fact at this point of time, no news is good news.
pll
Nameless wrote:
a) Your title is misleading, he'll probably be judged unsafe to the public.
b) Why wouldn't a cardiologist suffer mental illness?
c) Without actually seeing the trial, he does sound pretty crazy, yeah. Better locked up in a nuthouse with the chance of recovery than locked up in jail and maybe causing problems there.

a) Title changed
b) He could suffer from that but a cardiologist should know how to control his stress...
c)I don't think there's a change of recovery for someone who killed 2 kids.
deanhills
pll wrote:
(c)I don't think there's a change of recovery for someone who killed 2 kids.
Definitely not the violence with which he had killed them. Has to be a serious screw loose to have done that. And if he is supposedly sane afterwards, then when he looks at his own behaviour, that would have to horrify him so much that it could only unbalance his behaviour. I don't know how anyone who has committed a gruesome act like that could even think about continue living, unless there is something drastically wrong with themselves?
ocalhoun
pll wrote:

b) He could suffer from that but a cardiologist should know how to control his stress...

That's ridiculous.

Not all craziness is caused by stress... certainly not all by cardiovascular stress.
(Or else we'd see people going crazy all the time when they work out, when working out seems to actually help prevent many types of mental illness.)

Even without that, knowing that you're stressed doesn't necessarily make you less stressed, or even give you the opportunity to be less stressed.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Even without that, knowing that you're stressed doesn't necessarily make you less stressed, or even give you the opportunity to be less stressed.
I'm sure however when he was committing that deed that there was no stress involved at all. Stress I think is when we are thinking about what to do, the more conflicted we are, the greater the stress levels. This guy just went over the edge where there was no thinking or reasoning at all, just acting. I remember there was a murder case in Calgary once where a woman murdered her husband who I think was having an affair. She shot him a few times and also admitted to the killing, and then with really shrewd lawyers it was found that she was in a disassociated frame of mind where she could not be held responsible for what she had done. She was also sent for psychiatric evaluation like this guy had been.

I'm almost certain this guy will be able to practice medicine again provided he gets the right lawyers. His license expired during the course of the investigation and trial, but with the right lawyers, but since he was let off, I'd imagine the Medical Board cannot see what he did as criminal. Would be interesting to see whether he will be able to take up where he had left off. His wife seems to be able to do that. Must be horrific for a mother who was out having a good time with her boyfriend skiing for the weekend to wonder what could have been if she had been with her kids instead that weekend. Surely she must have known there was something up with this guy?
pll
I mean he should be able to control is emotions... Not only stress!
pll
Sorry for the double post, but the court will go in appeal of the judgement because they think he can't stay in liberty
deanhills
pll wrote:
Sorry for the double post, but the court will go in appeal of the judgement because they think he can't stay in liberty
That's good news though isn't it? Does this mean he will be in a mental institution?
rieljames
he killed 2 kids and how come they need to think twice if he is dangerous.?
silverdown
Well if you kill children or anyone, swallow chemical i say that a once way ticket to a nut house without a roundabout trip out.... 45 days... that just wrong i guess illl go kill some ppl now and drink some motor oil....

For the literal people IT SARCASM!

Disclaimer: Use of sarcasm is a sarcasm joke for the release in 45 possibility and I would never harm a living soul! Exclamation
inuyasha
That's just an exception. Canada looks still fascinating~
I'm a bit confused by your post. The cardiologist was cheated and thus went mad? That's why he conducted suicide and killed his two kids? He's probably got mental illness, but I don't think that's a good excuse for what he has done. To my mind, the decision the jury took is indeed ridiculous.
deanhills
inuyasha wrote:
That's just an exception. Canada looks still fascinating~
I'm a bit confused by your post. The cardiologist was cheated and thus went mad? That's why he conducted suicide and killed his two kids? He's probably got mental illness, but I don't think that's a good excuse for what he has done. To my mind, the decision the jury took is indeed ridiculous.
Right. That is more or less how it happened, but I can't help wonder whether he was a little mad before anyway. He doesn't seem to be able to take rejection very well, some of that has to be evident in how he works as well.
pll
deanhills wrote:
That's good news though isn't it? Does this mean he will be in a mental institution?

Yeah he will be in a mental institution and will have a retrial soon.

I think I also forgot to mention that he had the best lawyers in the province of Quebec, that should've helped him to get out of all this story.
Hello_World
You know, if he is not found stable, he could actually stay in the institution for the rest of his life. Going to a mental institution is not really the soft option people think it is. I find it hard to believe they'd let him out after 45 days. And if he did, he would have to live a very secuded life, every time he was found by the public he'd be bashed.
Da Rossa
pll, don't be that uncomfortable. Seeing beyond, really, you should be proud of your country. Let me explain:

In your country juries are educated. They understand the meaning of "beyond the reasonable doubt". Also, they give a decent importance to metajuridical facts that can interfere in a trial, specially scientific discoveries. Here in Brazil such a defense thesis would never sell, but this is even worse: in your case, the very quality unfolded as a disadvantage in the concrete case, while in here, real innocent people could never rely on those kind of evidence and expert testimonies to find a verdict of acquittal. It is safer in there: a perp walks, but no innocent gets in. In here, perps walk and innocents still get in Sad
metalfreek
No matter what his mental state was at that moment no one should be forgiven for killing innocent children. This man should be send to mental hospital or Jail for the rest of his life depending on his condition.
ocalhoun
metalfreek wrote:
No matter what his mental state was at that moment no one should be forgiven for killing innocent children. This man should be send to mental hospital or Jail for the rest of his life depending on his condition.

Everyone should be forgiven.
Don't deal out punishment for revenge.
Instead, take whatever measures are necessary to prevent future occurrences, and then forgive.
metalfreek
ocalhoun wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

Instead, take whatever measures are necessary to prevent future occurrences, and then forgive.

Its not revenge but its Justice to the mother. Killing innocent children is a crime that should never be forgiven. If he is mentally disturbed, then he is a danger to the society and if he is not insane then, punishment should be a life in prison.
Da Rossa
Quote:

I must second that will all my heart.
Yes, I've been a victim of a crime myself, and my Country's system is a joke. But forgiveness is a must for the ones who honestly ask for it. Unfortunately, the Justice System cannot just accept a forgiveness request, there must be a juridical security.
ocalhoun
metalfreek wrote:

Its not revenge but its Justice to the mother.

Reciprocal justice is just a fancy word for revenge.

The perpetrator should not be punished, he should only be restrained sufficiently to prevent him doing it again.

The only possible argument for harsh punishment is to serve as a deterrent to others... but this is generally not very effective at preventing future crimes.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
The perpetrator should not be punished, he should only be restrained sufficiently to prevent him doing it again.
The Canadian justice system works along those lines. I'd expect however that his "punishment" would be in line with ensuring the safety of others, so I'd imagine his removal from society until he has been rehabilitated would be essential for that.
achowles
If he's genuinely mentally ill then fair enough he doesn't belong in a prison (although I don't see how a jury is qualified to make that decision). But then if he's that mentally ill then there's no way they should even be allowing for the possibility of him being released in that kind of time frame. It would take him many months if not many years to recover to the point they could consider releasing him, knowing he's no longer a threat.
emale
I am so sad that for discussing this terrible news, How can it be like these?
Really, So sad ,so sad!!
emale
What you are saying? Faked ? Or REAL?!!!
shivaghimire
A common but a bit different. In my country too a man killed his two daughters. Mother is in Israel in order to work. The man thought that to make these children educated and to make them happy his wife need to go abroad for work so that he is far from his wife. He found the children the reason so he killed them.
Can anyone imagine that a father could kill his own children thinking that his wife is far, what a shame.
Yes, these murders, suicide, fights are increasing here why? Are only shown reasons had made this? No. There is mental pressure, tension, may be we are being unhealthy physically, mentally and socially. We human beings are not able to be as equal to animals, we are to much down.
ocalhoun
shivaghimire wrote:

Yes, these murders, suicide, fights are increasing here why? Are only shown reasons had made this?

First of all, are they increasing, or are we just seeing increased news reports about them?
There are a number of ways that such things could seem to be on the rise, without actually increasing any.