FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's the oldest song in your music library?

Nameless
Most of the music I listen to comes from 2000 onwards, with a scattering of favourites from the 1990s. I have exactly three songs from the 1980s and the oldest two are from the 1970s: "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" (Bachman–Turner Overdrive, 1974) is narrowly beaten out "Piano Man" (Billy Joel, 1973).

What's the oldest song you regularly listen to?
Ankhanu
Aside from classical compositions (the recordings of which are modern anyway), the oldest stuff I listen to with any sort of regularity would be La Quintette du Hot Club de France. Great early swing jazz fronted by one of the greatest guitar players to live and a fantastic violinist. Guess that would place things around 1934.

Sumptuous.
standready
I think my oldest is a jazz album (remember those things?) by Erroll Garner titled "Concert by the Sea" from 1955. I played few tunes from this album when I perform.
Afaceinthematrix
I think some of my oldest albums (in order from oldest to not as old but still pretty damn old):

Blizzard of Ozz - Ozzy (1980)

Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden (1982)

Show No Mercy - Slayer (1983)

I also have a lot of other old school thrash albums (Reign in Blood (Slayer), South of Heaven (Slayer), Ride the Lightning (Metallica), Bonded By Blood (Exodus), The Gathering (Testament)), a lot of old school death metal by bands such as Deicde, and then a couple of Pantera albums. Most of the music I listen to is from the 90's but a lot is from the 80's and 2000's. Some good bands of the 2000's are Skeletonwtich, Bonded By Blood, Warbringer, Ensiferum, Blackguard, etc...
Radar
Yeah, I could probably also find out some baroque/classical/romantic pieces. Other than that, not sure. The oldest recording is probably from somewhere in the 80s.
Ankhanu
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I think some of my oldest albums (in order from oldest to not as old but still pretty damn old):

I also have a lot of other old school thrash albums (Reign in Blood (Slayer), South of Heaven (Slayer), Ride the Lightning (Metallica), Bonded By Blood (Exodus), The Gathering (Testament)), a lot of old school death metal by bands such as Deicde, and then a couple of Pantera albums. Most of the music I listen to is from the 90's but a lot is from the 80's and 2000's. Some good bands of the 2000's are Skeletonwtich, Bonded By Blood, Warbringer, Ensiferum, Blackguard, etc...

Really?? No old Sabbath?
IceCreamTruck
Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, and the oldest that I like Ella Fitzgerald. This is excluding classical music which predates everything else by far.
Afaceinthematrix
Ankhanu wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Really?? No old Sabbath?

My Sabbath is too old school lol. I was looking at my library on my computer - which implies that I own the CD (I don't download music). However, I have Sabbath on on cassette and so I don't know how to put it onto my computer. One of these days I will re-purchase them on CD and then they will make it onto my computer. However, there are a few albums ahead of them I want to purchase first.
Ankhanu
Gotcha Smile
You can use the line-in jack with any recording software, and tape player to record to mp3 from tape. It's a fair bit of work, but, it's doable. You will get tape hiss, however, which is fine if that's what you're into Wink
IceCreamTruck
Ankhanu wrote:
Gotcha Smile
You can use the line-in jack with any recording software, and tape player to record to mp3 from tape. It's a fair bit of work, but, it's doable. You will get tape hiss, however, which is fine if that's what you're into Wink

This is good advice. Use a walkman to play the tape, and then get a male/male headphone cable and put that into your line in jack on your computer which is usually blue. The rest is software. Sure, you won't have full CD quality this way, but it's not much of an improvement especially since most MP3s don't actually use the full compression capability of MP3 compression. You can check this on files by the bit rate -- low bit rate is low quality, and often times if you listen you can tell. Full compression MP3s have deep sound and good base, but poor quality sounds metallic and distant.

The jacks on your computer may not be color coded, but most computers built after the 90s are, and the color code is: green -- headphones, pink -- microphone, and blue -- line in.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you can hear the walkman play over your speakers, and if you can't then check the volume settings (click advanced) and check to make sure the line in has full volume (adjust to your liking with the speaker volume). I am not totally positive, but the volume of the line in can affect recording quality (volume always low on recording) so set this to max especially if you are recording at that time. If you can hear it play, then you can record it.

Get to this step and then we'll work on what software to use. Hopefully there is resident software on every computer to make the recording, like windows media player, but I don't have this part memorized. I've only copied a couple things to computer this way, and memory fails me at the moment on how to exactly get it done, but we'll figure it out when we come to that part.

PS. if you are able to do the recording then it will probably ask you what bit rate you want, but high bit rate is just going to produce large files that capture all the short comings of transferring tape to digital media. Choose a lower bit rate and you may test a couple time to see the quality on one song before attempting the rest because you may want to up the quality or lower it further for space reasons. Full quality MP3s are still actually quite large in size, so keep this in mind as you won't be providing all the sound to fill out a high level of quality. Low quality may actually cover the static/pops/fizzes of analog tape some whereas high quality MP3 recording of tape will let you hear every detail that it is a tape recording.
Ankhanu
High quality VBR is good for decent quality at a lower file size. Basically, it adjusts itself between lower and your high quality level throughout the track, going low where high isn't necessary.

Audacity is decent free open source recording software to get this done.
Josso

Raymond Scott - the older stuff is 38, twilight in turkey, toy trumpet etc
davidv
But of course.

Listening to it right now Cool. Highway to Hell - AC/DC, 1979 (oh god I hope I got the date right)
tomisme
In fact I have Elvis's song, "Heartbreak Hotel"[1956], but your question is the oldest that I regularly listen to.

Then it would be every song from Please Please Me, The Beatles 1st UK album [1963].
D'Artagnan
well if youre using windows youre probably wrong Razz

windows comes with a Beethowen symphony Razz (i'm not sure about 7)
Ankhanu
D'Artagnan wrote:
well if youre using windows youre probably wrong Razz

windows comes with a Beethowen symphony Razz (i'm not sure about 7)

But when was it recorded??
rocking
AC / DC - Back In Black is the oldest tune in my libary.
Most of the music in my libary is new metal/punk/rock from the last 15 years.
catscratches
I generally don't listen to old music. My oldest album would have to be Sun Ra's Space is the Place from 1973.

(I just noticed that, for some reason, I have a lot of music from 1985.)
Dialogist
I have a copy of Plainsong floating around somewhere. I think I was sampling it for some project. I don't listen to it or anything and I'm sure the recording is relatively modern, as modern as recording is anyway, however the song is somewhere in the dark reaches of my computer so I guess it's in my collection and it dates back to 3rd Century A.D. Which I guess, makes it the oldest song in my collection.

It has a lot of competition though, as most of my music collection predates some of the poster's oldest songs posted in here. I don't own any music recorded post '97. Saying that, I don't know of any music recorded post-'97. And that's being fair, because the stuff I own and like from the 70's, 80's and 90's are all sound of the sixties throw-backs anyway. Umm, besides some of the Hip Hop I still check now and again, which, if I'm using the same rationale in dating as I did with the Plainsong, you can probably originate that back to African tribes who invented music before we even had a cuneiform to make note of it.

I discovered pretty early on in my musical passions, that music is a lot like an ugly person. The further back you go, the more attractive and enjoyable it gets.
drunkenkoz
One of the oldest songs I have is; Right Said Fred - Im Too Sexy.
gverutes
Buddy Guy - In the Mood
rogue_skydragon
"Sunny Side of the Street" by Benny Goodman and Peggy Lee...1947!
welshsteve
It's probably an Elvis song, or maybe Chuck Berry.
Blummer
Some jazz records, made before World War II.
nepalstar
Hum...! really interesting topic to think about... "What's the oldest song you regularly listen to?"

I usually like to listen the old song "I spend a little time with you. I want a little more. Good times, bad times, give me some of that." specially the part of "Good Times Bad Times Give me some of that." is really nicely sang by G. Rishard. Jr., Whenever I listen this song that takes me to the old days while I was learning Computer and memorize me friends of that time Suresh Khanal, Sanjay Shrestha, Dilip Dongol, Devendra Bajracharya, Sudansingh Maharjan and someone special...!

Really nice song..!
ankur209
Its of Bob Marley !! Smile Razz
Vaidio
Once in while I listen to old style Rembetika. It's greek music that appeared in the 1930. It was mostly performed by low-lifes. Great music.
Tuvitor
Probably my Bob Dylan stuff or my early Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd.
zZuiL
We Used To Know - Jethro Tull Very Happy i think its from the 50s or 60s.. idk lol
chartcentral
Current oldest song on my music library is Air Supply's "Making Love Out of Nothing at All," way back 1983. Smile
asnani04
The oldest song in my music library is "In the End" by Linkin Park from their debut album "Hybrid Theory". It was, an is, an awesome song that I still listen to with passion. The rap from Mike Shinoda coupled with the chorus from Chester Bennington and the great drums and the guitar make it a song worth listening to. Hail Linkin Park! Very Happy
Smile
I hope they bring it on with their next album, whenever it comes.
william
Though I can't seem to find it right now, at some point I had Au clair de la lune for the sole reason that it was the first song recorded in human history (that we know of). It was recorded on a photautograph in 1860, about 20 years before Edison and his gramophone. It was only about 10-20 seconds long, but it actually sounded better than I had expected. It was digitized about three years ago, so I just had to check it out.

Other than that, I have several classics (though of course they were recorded much later on). The earliest music I have that I occasionally listen to is by Elvis. However, I have a ton of music from the late 1960s and early 1970s (and I listen to it almost every day). I just recently bought The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. Wink