FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Entire ghost city appears over Chinese river!

jmlworld
I don't know if its reflection or something else, but it's interesting. The Daily Mail have a report with evidence photos and videos about this mirage city.

Quote:

Ghostly: High-rise office blocks and flats were seen by residents who said the mirage was the
most spectacular of a recent crop that have hit the region
~ Source.

Do you think this is another hoax by the Chinese press or a very bad joke by the Daily Mail? I checked the published date and it was not April though Evil or Very Mad
bukaida
The picture is nothing but pure photoshop effect. It is very difficult to catch the picture of a mirage.
deanhills
bukaida wrote:
The picture is nothing but pure photoshop effect. It is very difficult to catch the picture of a mirage.
That was my immediate first impression. First UFOs, now invisible cities, what next? Very Happy
Bikerman
No, it could be real. It does seem, at first, to be too detailed, but this IS a pretty outstanding example, which is why it is newsworthy. I think it might have been 'enhanced' a bit, but the basic mirage is probably there. It is a 'superior mirage' - well documented - just a very good one (at least that's my opinion).

Here's the gen, plus some photos of other examples...
http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/mirages/mirintro.html

and this site has some nice images of Finnish mirages
http://virtual.finland.fi/public/default.aspx?contentid=160069&contentlan=2&culture=en-US
coolclay
Doesn't look like anything special to me, just look likes a city with fog. I've seen some cool mirages over the years. Most of them are over water because of it's reflective properties, but I've seen some cool ones. Once it looked like a sailboat was flying through the air, it was awesome!
Nameless
Daily Mail Reporter wrote:
Ghostly apparition of entire city appears over Chinese river... but is it just a mirage?

I cannot take any news seriously that presents itself as a question. An ideal reporter should be reporting facts, not posing mystical questions when there's an obvious scientific explanation. You know, right there after "some suggesting" that it's a vortex to a lost civilisation. Was it just a slow news day, so they thought they'd throw in the suggestion of magic to liven things up?

Tomorrow: Eery ocean teleports dozens of miles inland, spookily cloaking the land in inescapable shadows and raping the mouths of dozens of innocent children playing outside... but is it just rain?
Bikerman
Plus it should be said that the paper concerned seems to be the Daily Mail (at least here in the UK).
(This is not a good thing, for those unfamiliar with our papers. The Dail Mail is given to rather simplistic politics, extreme social conservatism, and moral outrage. It has a poor reputation for quality factual journalism. The facts are not the first thing on the minds of many of its employees, methinks).
http://www.mailwatch.co.uk/
menino
It looks like a hoax of some kind.
I saw a mail which had videos also of it, and people passing by and watching it, but I would think that it would cause a stir, and traffic would stop to see it as well.
Doesn't look authentic, and I am skeptical of it at the moment, but will wait for more info.

But perhaps its a hologram of some kind, which the Chinese are probably experimenting with.... but then that testing would be on CNN or BBC even, I would think.
Bikerman
Why go for a speculative explanation when you have two perfectly reasonable explanations already?
That makes no sense to me. Two possibilities
a) It is genuine. This would not be anything that has not been seen before. This type of mirage is, as I said, well documented.
b) It is a hoax.

We don't need half-baked 'theories' about lasers and holograms. Good old Ockham should be your guide - when faced with competing explanations, go for the one with the fewest additional entities/assumptions.
menino
Your right Bikerman, that was a half baked theory, and I guess I was thinking out loud (on this post).
It is better to get the facts straight and post, based on that, with references, but sometimes I go overboard.
inuyasha
Well, the news seemed not to attract public attention in China at all... Besides, the photo seems nothing special to me. I can't really figure out where the river is. Sad
deanhills
inuyasha wrote:
Well, the news seemed not to attract public attention in China at all... Besides, the photo seems nothing special to me. I can't really figure out where the river is. Sad
The source article in the OP says it's the Xin'an River in Huanshan City in East China. Does that seem familiar to you, or do you think the river is maybe not from China? Maybe a hoax?
Smile
deanhills
I had some fun with doing a Google image search. It produced over 300 hits for the photo.

The explanation in the Website Technical-Gadgets.com looks like a good one:
Quote:
Scientists have quashed the vortex theory, however, with a far simpler explanation for the incredible sight. They believe it may have been a mirage, caused when moisture in the air becomes warmer than the temperature of the water below.

When rays of sunlight cross from the colder air into the warmer air they are refracted or bent — creating a reflection in the air that looks similar to a reflection in water. It’s a common sight for many travellers to wet areas. But one is more likely to encounter puddles of water that disappear when you get close than entire cities floating on rivers.
loremar
I just can't imagine how prehistoric people would react if they see a floating city on the midst of a river. Laughing Thank God we have science to explain this kind of phenomenon. Otherwise, we would think that the evil spirits are invading from the side of another world.
deanhills
loremar wrote:
I just can't imagine how prehistoric people would react if they see a floating city on the midst of a river. Laughing Thank God we have science to explain this kind of phenomenon. Otherwise, we would think that the evil spirits are invading from the side of another world.
That's a good thought! They'd probably think it is the last signs of the world and maybe the world will come to an end on 21 December 212. Twisted Evil
Josso
Yeah as the saying goes I don't read newspapers I read the daily mail.

How is this supposed to happen exactly. Can mirages be straight? If so that's pretty cool that would explain some ghost stories.

Ah actually no wait I've got it, the chinese are just testing their new secret hologram technology. They are going to use it as their first fallback plan in world war 3
deanhills
Josso wrote:
Ah actually no wait I've got it, the chinese are just testing their new secret hologram technology. They are going to use it as their first fallback plan in world war 3
I thought Iran would be getting first dibs at WW3? That may also be the last WW Shocked

But no, I don't think there is anything secret about it. Looks as though the scientists have a good explanation for it. Very Happy
loremar
You can't be certain. China has been acting very aggressively lately makes you wonder if they get this confidence from some secrets they're having. China just get into my nerves. I can't help but be restless. Anxious
deanhills
loremar wrote:
You can't be certain. China has been acting very aggressively lately makes you wonder if they get this confidence from some secrets they're having. China just get into my nerves. I can't help but be restless. Anxious
Right, if my country had been in as close proximity to theirs, I'm sure we would have felt the same way.
Very Happy
inuyasha
deanhills wrote:
The source article in the OP says it's the Xin'an River in Huanshan City in East China. Does that seem familiar to you, or do you think the river is maybe not from China? Maybe a hoax?
Smile

Sorry to have had you misunderstand. I mean, I can't see a river in the picture.
I searched for the videos on the news just now. It's not a hoax~~ Very Happy as far as I'm concerned~
deanhills
inuyasha wrote:
Sorry to have had you misunderstand. I mean, I can't see a river in the picture.
Embarassed I misunderstood too. Maybe the mist is covering the river ... Very Happy
achowles
Nameless wrote:
I cannot take any news seriously that presents itself as a question.

Welcome to the Daily Mail. Razz