FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

(Unofficial) Creative Short Writing Comp. - with prizes!

Nameless
One hundred words. One hundred coins.

Your topic? The end of the world. Go!

~ Details ~
* To enter, post your original piece of creative writing in this thread.
* All entries must total one hundred words (or less) and follow some interpretation of the topic. You may write in any form - narrative, poetic or otherwise.
* Each poster is limited to two entries each. You may modify your entries at any time before the closing date.
* Entries close seven days from the time of this post.
* Winners will be chosen by myself based primarily on the strength of their emotion. A public vote will also be taken for three days, after which prizes will be announced and distributed.

~ Prizes ~
First prize is the grand sum of 100 coins!
Two runners-up will each be granted the power to change my avatar or signature, lasting one month.
The most popular entry will also be awarded 1000 frih$.

Give it a shot! I've nearly gone twice over the limit in this post; I'm sure you can finish an entry worth reading. Smile
Bikerman
An entry for fun (no coins please - I just liked the idea and wanted to see if I could write anything decent).

Endings by Bikerman
A billion years since mankind received the unkindest cut of all
Did the sun take notice of the loss, and, angered at their fall,
It swelled with indignation to a huge red glowing ball,
'Till first Mercury then Mars were lost within the giant's sprawl.
Now the long dead bones of man, sublime, in the fiery final call
And wreathe the boiling earth, at last, a fitting funeral pall.
truespeed
Says on the news its the end of the world today
Coronation Streets even been cancelled
First time in 50 years.
Five minutes to go before the meteor hits
The size of Wales they say
Be ironic if it hit Wales.
I should be with family,but i wanted to spend my last moments alone
I have said my goodbyes
I just wanted time to think
Time to get my head around it
But i haven't got time
Not any more
I can hear it coming
This really is it!
........................... "Mum"
deanhills
You're not leaving us Nameless are you .... Confused Giving away all of your coins and Frih$ sounds almost like the last act of a dying man .... particularly if the subject of the competition is about the end of the world no less. Crying or Very sad
Nameless
deanhills wrote:
You're not leaving us Nameless are you .... Confused Giving away all of your coins and Frih$ sounds almost like the last act of a dying man .... particularly if the subject of the competition is about the end of the world no less. Crying or Very sad

What? No. I just noticed that my coins had reached 100, and thought this would be something fun to do with them. The topic is actually based on a short piece of writing I did a while back; I was playing with the idea of understated endings but spent way too much time messing with syntax to produce anything really emotional. So now you have this!
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
deanhills wrote:

What? No. I just noticed that my coins had reached 100, and thought this would be something fun to do with them. The topic is actually based on a short piece of writing I did a while back; I was playing with the idea of understated endings but spent way too much time messing with syntax to produce anything really emotional. So now you have this!
OK great ... what a relief ... phew!

OK, I'll see what I can come up with. The offerings so far have set quite a high standard. And I can't quite visualize the end of the world, too busy having fun with the part in between the beginning and the middle to be able to see the end, if indeed there is one. Very Happy
Bikerman
Here's a second attempt in the style of an old hero of mine - Asimov:

Junction 7A Bikerman
X250-Alpha, 'controller' for this unremarkable galaxy, was curious. Her instruments showed a Type 1 civilization (Class M planet) had entered a crucial period - Junction 7A, the transition from supernaturalism to rationalism. She could not recall the probability matrix, and was briefly curious, so she thought to the search engine & retrieved the data, just at the moment her instruments indicated the former Class M planet was now a Class N.
She sighed briefly, before mentally updating the computer:
watersoul
He opened his eyes with the effort of a newborn, struggling, trying to focus on his new world.

The empty beer cans stared back at him conspiratorially

Even in their crushed and discarded state on the carpet, they retained a judgemental reflection of the slowly brightening morning light, reminding him, again, that he’d messed up...again.

“I guess the sky wasn’t falling in after all” he slurred aloud, with an image of Henny Penny in his mind.
It almost forced a smile...almost, but the world was still there, and now it was mocking him by its existence.

The cans remained silent
watersoul
[COMPOSE MESSAGE]

Hi Mam, tried to phone you loads but its ‘network busy’ every time. I wish I could be with you now, I’d hug you to bits and tell you how much I’ve always really loved you. You gave me my life and taught me how to be a good human being, nurturing strong self belief in my heart... I just wish that strong belief hadn’t taken me so far away from you now. I’ll try to phone again, but if I can’t get through I just hope this text does, with all my love, as always xxx

[SEND]
truespeed
watersoul wrote:
[COMPOSE MESSAGE]

Hi Mam, tried to phone you loads but its ‘network busy’ every time. I wish I could be with you now, I’d hug you to bits and tell you how much I’ve always really loved you. You gave me my life and taught me how to be a good human being, nurturing strong self belief in my heart... I just wish that strong belief hadn’t taken me so far away from you now. I’ll try to phone again, but if I can’t get through I just hope this text does, with all my love, as always xxx

[SEND]

Surely thats more than 160 characters. Wink
watersoul
truespeed wrote:

Lol, yep, but modern phones do allow more than 160 these days...and I wasn't posting a tweet! Wink

*edit* It was 100 words though
standready
"ET phone home!" Laughing
truespeed
watersoul wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Lol, yep, but modern phones do allow more than 160 these days...and I wasn't posting a tweet! Wink

*edit* It was 100 words though

Good idea though,it kind of reminded me of those answer machine messages released after 9/11,for them it was the end of the world and those were their last messages.
deanhills
standready wrote:
"ET phone home!" Laughing
My favourite so far!
Very Happy
Bluedoll
Marriageable Endings And Wishes Of True Love Beginnings

I created it.
    Beautiful was my world.
    Love gave me joy,
    and joy kept me company
    then that stolen knowledge brought a transition