FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the difference between IRC and Messenger

Possum
Hi

What is the difference between IRC and Messenger. Hows does Google chat on Gmail work.

Do they all use the same protocol?
Peterssidan
No they don't use the same protocol.

By Messenger do you mean Live Messenger? Live Messenger uses protocol MSNP.
Google talk uses protocol XMPP.
IRC is the name of a protocol, and you need an IRC client to use it.
Ankhanu
What Peterssidan said Razz
Aside from that, IRC and IM clients offer "completely" different chat experiences.
The advantage of IM services is that there's no real freedom in how to set it up; they use their network and everyone's connected to it, and they do one on one chats reasonably well.
IRC, on the other hand, offers lots of potential networks, chat rooms (channels) and individuals to talk to... but if you want to talk to someone specific, you both have to be on the same network, which can take some organization before hand. Of course, IRC offers a greatly superior group chat function (channels) that IMs have not been able to replicate at all, IM group chats are nightmarish. One on one chat via IRC is just as good as the group chat function. Really, the only down side of IRC is that it offers choices that can be a little confusing when you're first starting, with multiple networks, channels and people to connect to. IMs stream line that offering just one.

Obviously, I think IRC is better in almost every way Razz

I suppose if you're into video and voice chat, IM clients are the way to go, as IRC does not support them. Personally, I dislike both of those, so it's a moot point.
pirate
i use both, IRC seems to be more secretive about personal info as there is no signing up. providing your using someone else's chat. but yer i use both and both have there plus points
Peterssidan
pirate wrote:
i use both, IRC seems to be more secretive about personal info as there is no signing up. providing your using someone else's chat. but yer i use both and both have there plus points

On the freenode irc network you can register your nick if want be the only one using that nick. Some channels requires your nick to be registered but most don't. I don't know about other networks.
Blastr
IRC and "Messenger" are total different things. You could compare it to the difference of a little twitter-post and a html-email.
I'm using IRC, because it's more "pure" and not so overloaded with unnecessary functions.
IM is some kind of a swiss army knife: More functions, more everything, but some kind of "bloatware", too...but for not so technophile persons it's a much easier way to chat.

On Wikipedia is a comparison of the most important IM protocols. Smile
loyal
IRC is only good if you're bored or there's a specific chatroom who discuss a topic you're interested in...otherwise, there's just loads of empty rooms on many servers.
MSN is specific...but i guess you can find new friends on IRC, like on forums.
SultanMA
Quote:
IRC is only good if you're bored or there's a specific chatroom who discuss a topic you're interested in...otherwise, there's just loads of empty rooms on many servers.

YES!!
Ankhanu
SultanMA wrote:
Quote:

YES!!

I met my wife through IRC Razz
Josso
IRC more reliable + you can anonymize your IP... and yeah you don't *have* to register to the server.

The bad thing about live messenger is that every update just makes it more chunky and ridiculously dumbed down.
loyal
Ankhanu wrote:
SultanMA wrote:
Quote:

YES!!

looooooool
don't tell me you were another one of those guys on IRC messaging every person with a female nick Razz
Ankhanu
loyal wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

looooooool
don't tell me you were another one of those guys on IRC messaging every person with a female nick Razz

Hehe, no. Neither of us was actively looking for someone, and, personally I don't think it's a particularly good medium for finding a significant other... it just happened to work out quite nicely for us by accident Wink
SultanMA
I think messenger is a hybrid client server protocol, like skype. It is when u are a client and there is another client, and u connect to him via the server.

IRC is client to client protocol, so u are suppose to know your opponent.

hope it's helpful.