FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

screen resolution

Rheac817
mine won't change from 800x600. i want it to the 1064x768 and it wont change. what could the problem be? my memoryc ard?
izcool
You might need to get the latest driver for your video card in order for it to work. You can get free drivers from www.driverguide.com use the username "driver2" and the password "all" to get in without registration. Take note that some older monitors (mostly 15" monitors) won't work well with higher screen resolutions, in my experience. So be careful before you play about with them. If that does happen to you, you might be able to have it restored if you wait for about 15 seconds when it asks you if it worked properly. If you don't get that, then the solution would be to hook it up to a newer monitor (mostly 17" monitors) and changing the screen resolution to what it was before.

- Mike.
Rheac817
thanks alot. i'll try it out
TheGeek
sounds like either

A: Your drivers are bad like the other guy said.

or

B: if you havent had it in the resolution before using the exact setup you have now including the monitor, its possible that the monitor doesnt support that high of a res. Though highly unlikely, i have seen this as the cause plenty of times before.
budazz
hmmm i think the refresh rate needs to be change..

try to right click the my computer then find the hardware - monitor - refresh rate adjust it to 60 instead of 85

but if the refresh rate is already to 60..

you need a driver update... Very Happy
travian
budazz wrote:
hmmm i think the refresh rate needs to be change..

try to right click the my computer then find the hardware - monitor - refresh rate adjust it to 60 instead of 85

but if the refresh rate is already to 60..

you need a driver update... Very Happy

I don't know if he has an LCD, but I have always heard that you should leave LCD's at 60 Hertz, or less. I don't exactly know why, but I do know that LCD"s don't refresh as fast as CRT monitors.
brosta
Rheac817 wrote:
mine won't change from 800x600. i want it to the 1064x768 and it wont change. what could the problem be? my memoryc ard?

its 1024x768. Go to device manager find the name of your componets and go to their website and download the latest software.
Prabhu Raj
Hi i am having the same problem. so i can help.
There are 2 things to check.
1. check if your display adapter is compatible with the screen resolution.
2. check if your monitor is compatible with the screen resolution.

Only on both cases supporting that higher screen resolution update your driver. before updating use driver guide tool kit to back up your existing driver.

Another cause may be display driver might not be installed. so find the display adapter manufacturer and go to their website and download the driver and install it.

Have a nice day.
dandollinger
There is a small possibility that your graphics card may not support anything higher than 800X600. Some older cards have this disability. It most likely is not the case. Post the model of your card so we can be more specific on what may be the problem.
xray757
i got another possible explanation:
last time i re-installed windows 98 on an old pII-350mHz, i couldn't change resolution higher than 640x480. After trying a couple of different drivers I came to the idea, that I should install the motherboard drivers for AGP. That was it! The videocard couldn't function correctly because the AGP-Slot wasn't working!
bananaphone
Try changing drivers, then refresh rate.
Otherwise - buy a new monitor!!Laughing
manas
Try updating your display drivers.If it doesn't work your monitor may not be supporting.Which OS do you use?
savnt
I doubt its the monitor. It could only be your graphics card, or your driver.... and if it is the card... whew. God help you, because no amount of work you do will.

If it is the driver, open the computer, look at the card. If the card is on the motherboard, look at the motherboard. Somewhere on there is a name... like nvidia...

Go to the website of the name you see and hopefully you can dig up an updated driver.

If none of that works, the card is shot. Could be the memory on the card.. could be the processor. Either way, get a new card. For most new games, I would suggest something with at least 128 meg mem on the card.
bjwok
there is always ebay too for a cheap second hand card... or even a new one at half the price... i just got a dell 24ich wide screen monitor and had 'issues' trying to run it in full 1900 x 1200 resolution, but after a quick search on ebay i found a cheap geforce card that has done the trick...