FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nuclear power gets a boost in France

deanhills
Looks as though France has no problem with the nuclear disaster in Japan. And I say good for France. France is in the process of investing 1-billion Euro for building a new generation of nuclear reactors.
Quote:
France will invest 1bn euros (0.8bn) in nuclear power despite warnings after the Fukushima disaster in Japan, President Nicolas Sarkozy says.

The new investment will include a boost for research into nuclear safety.

The French nuclear giant Areva is developing the fourth generation of reactors. France gets 80% of its electricity from nuclear power.

Earlier this year neighbouring Germany, Switzerland and Italy voted against nuclear power, following Fukushima.

The BBC's Christian Fraser in Paris says that as president of the G8 and G20 industrial groups, Mr Sarkozy has been pushing for an international standard on nuclear safety.

"We are going to devote a billion euros to the nuclear programme of the future, particularly fourth-generation technology," Mr Sarkozy told a news conference.

Source: BBC
silverdown
him very interesting... thanks for sharing i like reading about other countries Very Happy
coolclay
Good for them, Nuclear power is a great alternative as long as the mining involved in Uranium extraction isn't as bad as it's been in the US!
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
Good for them, Nuclear power is a great alternative as long as the mining involved in Uranium extraction isn't as bad as it's been in the US!
I'm curious, why has it been bad in the US? Are you talking environmentally? Smile
pirate
Nuclear power should just not go ahead, it is all round bad and is not renewable. When it goes bad, it is extremely bad harms a wide area of the world and not just the surrounding area.
deanhills
pirate wrote:
Nuclear power should just not go ahead, it is all round bad and is not renewable. When it goes bad, it is extremely bad harms a wide area of the world and not just the surrounding area.
I'm all for nuclear power, except I'd like them to do it better, and I think they are getting better at it. Using oil is definitely worse in the long run. Countries get invaded for it, and it is a great source of air pollution. Just for starters Very Happy
Sw4k1ll4r
Interesting read... I bet France is doing this as safety caution.
Josso
Well in the UK in 97 we had 26% nuclear power, now around 18... we get a lot of out power from France though, probably just as well.

Nuclear power is OK as long as it's done properly, all accidents have mostly been ancient stations.
deanhills
Josso wrote:
Well in the UK in 97 we had 26% nuclear power, now around 18... we get a lot of out power from France though, probably just as well.
Ha! would be interesting if the UK should become that much reliant on France for power. Twisted Evil