FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

windows genuine advantage

CuddleBunny
A window keeps coming up saying that my copy of windows is not valid. I know mine isn't the real copy, I'm currently using Windows 7 and I just want to remove the windows genuine checker. Last time this happened, it shut down my whole computer and I couldn't start it again.

Any tips of how I can fix this problem?
I've tried using the CMD method and deleting the wgatray.exe and wgalogon.old but it couldn't be located in windows/.../system32

So I don't know what's wrong...
badai
if it's not really necessary to use windows, you can always switch to other free OS.

otherwise, you should buy it.
menino
There is a friend of mine who had the same problem, and I saw how he removed it.
<Information removed. Please do not use Frihost to discuss warez, serialz, crackz or other illegal software. This includes giving advice on where to get such software.>
Bikerman
Asap170
Well you need to be in safe mode, have admin privileges, and make sure the process isn't running. Because it should all be there. It may be a hidden file so when your looking for it you can't find it because it is hidden. Also, if you still can't find it then run a search on whatever drive holding windows is and search for the program. When it finds it you can figure out where it's located easily.
CuddleBunny
Ehh... sorry menino for getting you into trouble just then.
I just realised I'm not quite sure what is wrong with my laptop. I know after a windows update, whatever it was, found out that i was using a fake version of windows 7. I can only know this by the message at the bottom right hand corner of my screen that says something along the lines of "your version of windows is not genuine". Sometimes a message comes up in a window asking me permission to validate my copy of windows.

I've used a program that tries to remove the wgalogon and wgatray and it can't find it. It even said that wgalogon wasn't active on my system. I've also gone to the actual folder to try find the files. Nothing.... So any clue, guys?
flamepjlh
CuddleBunny wrote:
A window keeps coming up saying that my copy of windows is not valid. I know mine isn't the real copy, I'm currently using Windows 7 and I just want to remove the windows genuine checker. Last time this happened, it shut down my whole computer and I couldn't start it again.

I've tried using the CMD method and deleting the wgatray.exe and wgalogon.old but it couldn't be located in windows/.../system32

You should ignore the patch when you were asked whether install or not.        

Sad Sad
FunDa
CuddleBunny wrote:

Use Ubuntu Linux.
Download from ubuntu.org

It is free, and you don't have to continue using a pirated version of an Overprices Windows operating system.
deanhills
CuddleBunny wrote:
I just realised I'm not quite sure what is wrong with my laptop. I know after a windows update, whatever it was, found out that i was using a fake version of windows 7. I can only know this by the message at the bottom right hand corner of my screen that says something along the lines of "your version of windows is not genuine". Sometimes a message comes up in a window asking me permission to validate my copy of windows.

I've used a program that tries to remove the wgalogon and wgatray and it can't find it. It even said that wgalogon wasn't active on my system. I've also gone to the actual folder to try find the files. Nothing.... So any clue, guys?
The exact thing happened to me with the version Windows just before Windows XP. I was unaware I did not have the original licensed operating sofware as I had purchased it as part of an assembled computer from a technician friend. Irony is that the message only started to come up well after the new Windows XP had been released. I think the best thing to do if you don't know how to do it yourself is to have a technician reformat your hard drive and install a licensed copy of Windows 7. Smile
menino
CuddleBunny wrote:

Thats ok Cuddlebunny. I didn't realise that giving advise was also wrong for crackz, but I think the following url is not a crack and not entirely illegal for removing and finding the wga files =
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Windows-Genuine-Advantage-Notifications

But feel free moderator to remove it, if you deem it against the forum rules.

Your completely legal option, would be to go for windows 7, and my advise is to buy it, but before you do, find out if your system will support it.
Windows 7 recommended ram is 2gb but will work with 1 and 1.5gb even.
Windows XP is going to get old, and is still good to use, but if you have to invest, you might as well invest in something new.
Windows 7 also has a "Starter" edition available for slower pc's, so maybe that could be an option for you. I think it is cheaper also.
FunDa
I think more than 10 years after releasing it, Microdoft can afford to give Winows XP licence for very very cheap. Say, around Rs250 ($5).

They don't have to give CDs or DVDs-just the permission to use it as a legal version.

Many people do not buy the original because the cost is wayyy over their budget.

Profits from 11years of sales should be ebough, right ?