FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HEAT problem

hive
hi!

I am with problems here with my hardware. I've changed my ram mem from 256 DIMM (ooold) for 2X512 DDR. So I had to change the voltage in my mobo from 2,5V to 2,6V because it wasn't working.
So it worked but something is overheating, say that because my OS freeze everytime and boot, especialy when I am watching a DVD...
My video card (GF 2 128) seems to hotter than before but I dont know if it is the real problem . Crying or Very sad
Someone?
TheGeek
it does sound like its a voltage problem.

Its possible that your computer doesnt support DDR memory since its so old. Chances are though, that when you bumped up the voltage to the memory, it bumped the voltage to your video card or processor as well. You might go in and try to exactly locate what part is getting overly hot and then try to go into the BIOS and see if the voltage there is higher than it should be.
Donutey
well, its impossible to put ddr memory in a non ddr board... (different physical shape, though if you used a hammer... lol )

sometimes larger memory modules can make a board become unstable. If anything, you might want to lower the voltage down, and try to boot with a slower memory speed or loosen the timings...
TheGeek
Donutey wrote:
well, its impossible to put ddr memory in a non ddr board... (different physical shape, though if you used a hammer... lol )

sometimes larger memory modules can make a board become unstable. If anything, you might want to lower the voltage down, and try to boot with a slower memory speed or loosen the timings...

good point, i never thought to think that they might not even fit. Its possible that the slot is bigger than the memory stick. If this were the case, it would technically "work" then the system would figure out something is wrong and do what its doing.
NuniPio
whats the model of the mobo? you can check if the ram is compatible from its website if the ddr ram did fit in properly, which i highly doubt Confused
otiscom
If I were you I would not turn it on again until you have done all the checks alredy given.

Otherwise it WILL prove costly!
SoftStag
hive wrote:
hi!

I am with problems here with my hardware. I've changed my ram mem from 256 DIMM (ooold) for 2X512 DDR. So I had to change the voltage in my mobo from 2,5V to 2,6V because it wasn't working.
So it worked but something is overheating, say that because my OS freeze everytime and boot, especialy when I am watching a DVD...
My video card (GF 2 128) seems to hotter than before but I dont know if it is the real problem . Crying or Very sad
Someone?

By changing the voltage, you will have (depending upon the mobo) changed the voltage for other items, ie AGP card and possibly processor. This will lead to instability. I would suggest that you revert to the old config and check your mobo manual for compatibility. If you can give the model of your mobo in the forum I might be able to find out for you.
gonzo
hive wrote:
I had to change the voltage in my mobo

uhhhh why? This is typically done by overclockers. Does not your motherboard support SPD?
drpiga
Which mobo do you have..That is important part to get a right answer