FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Complaint against Adobe!

IceCreamTruck
I would like to write a formal complaint about Adobe, specifically Adobe Reader always needing updates. It's constantly asking to update, and I'm tired of clicking anything Adobe that I didn't specifically want to come up on my computer!!

Honestly... updating too much is spam too! Give us some options here because I don't mind getting the updates but I don't want to have to click anything ... you realize I usually uninstall software that behaves even remotely like this, and I find other options. PDFs don't have to be opened with Adobe and this software isn't doing much for me.

Cut it out Adobe! Stay out of the tray, organize the process, and stop making me do things like click the "done" button after update. Wake up! It's not the 90s any more.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Cut it out Adobe! Stay out of the tray, organize the process, and stop making me do things like click the "done" button after update. Wake up! It's not the 90s any more.
Right on .... totally agreed and my thoughts exactly. You could not have said it better for me. All Adobe software is heavy to start with any way, and specifically why are all these updates needed?
Evil or Very Mad
Nameless
You do know that if you just run AdobeUpdate.exe you can change your preferences and turn auto-updates off ... right?
cybersa
I blocked that application to connect to internet using my firewall.
No more Update.
adri
I don't have Adobe Reader so no problems here. Dancing I tend to ignore those "Update" messages but it does work on your nerves if you need to open something quickly and you get a stupid "Update screen".

I don't like to completely putting off the Update system as they may be some important bugs in the version that I use and that I don't know of. Confused

I like applications that just update without asking. Smile

adri
deanhills
adri wrote:
adri
I prefer to know and also to have the choice. I have not updated my Firefox for example for ages, as the download is so big. I'm still on one of the Firefox 3 versions. Embarassed I probably need to get with it and up to date with Firefox 5. One of the things I tend to procrastinate over until something really significant comes along,. Like YouTube saying I won't be able to access YouTube unless I get up to date with Explorer or Firefox. That was the previous time when I upgraded my two browsers.
Very Happy
gh0strec0n_legit
Me I always update everything. I don't want my computer to get slow at all so I want the latest security and fastest versions of everything. On my old pc I updated so infrequently that when I finally did want to update with windows update I wasn't even able to! Don't know why but I just couldn't and now I'm trying to keep this pc running smooth.
pirate
haha i totally agree with you, those updates are so random and bloody annoying. My overall opinion Adobe Go Away
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:
You do know that if you just run AdobeUpdate.exe you can change your preferences and turn auto-updates off ... right?

Actually, I've tried that, and it doesn't work at all. Sure, it no longer asks me for updates randomly while not using the program, but it still asks me for updates every time I open a PDF.

Also, Adobe, acrobat reader is NOT an important or often-used application; it does NOT need a desktop icon.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Nameless wrote:

Actually, I've tried that, and it doesn't work at all. Sure, it no longer asks me for updates randomly while not using the program, but it still asks me for updates every time I open a PDF.

Also, Adobe, acrobat reader is NOT an important or often-used application; it does NOT need a desktop icon.
My problem is that I never know how important that update is, and if I should choose to ignore it it may impact my downloads. How does one know whether one can do without the updates without wasting time to figure it out?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
My problem is that I never know how important that update is, and if I should choose to ignore it it may impact my downloads. How does one know whether one can do without the updates without wasting time to figure it out?

You need updates when the program stops working. ^.^

Seriously though... I do prefer it ever so much more for a program to give full descriptions of all updates before I agree to let them update. (Like firefox addons do)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
You need updates when the program stops working. ^.^

Seriously though... I do prefer it ever so much more for a program to give full descriptions of all updates before I agree to let them update. (Like firefox addons do)
OK, that makes sense, but by that time I won't know where the update is. My last learning experience was when YouTube forced everyone to upgrade their Explorer and Firefox. I waited until it did not work any longer and then had to go the whole nine yards to upgrade and from then on forwards thought to not get to that point again. Although I've broken my rule with Firefox. I'm sill on one of the Versions of Firefox 3. Do you recommend a full upgrade to Firefox 5?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I'm sill on one of the Versions of Firefox 3. Do you recommend a full upgrade to Firefox 5?

Still on 3 myself.
Didn't like the whole 'simpler and faster' direction they were taking version 4.
I like my feature-rich bloat. (As evidenced by over 100 add-ons and customization to every aspect of the interface.)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I'm sill on one of the Versions of Firefox 3. Do you recommend a full upgrade to Firefox 5?

Still on 3 myself.
Didn't like the whole 'simpler and faster' direction they were taking version 4.
I like my feature-rich bloat. (As evidenced by over 100 add-ons and customization to every aspect of the interface.)
Great, you've just helped me make up my mind, I'm sticking with Firefox 3. Instead of battling with upgrades I'm going to investigate the special features. Very Happy
emanuel2
yeah the adope reader is really crappy, especially all the features which are disable for the free edition make me angry. Therefore, i often use the Foxit reader, which has comment feature and the ability to add text and pcis. Still the disadvantage of foxit reader is the text selection (and following that copy&paste), which doesn't allways works sound...
Ankhanu
Adobe's updater is quite the pain in the ass, isn't it?

adri wrote:
I don't have Adobe Reader so no problems here. Dancing

Mac Preview FTW Smile
I really don't understand why Microsoft doesn't build a PDF viewer right into the OS too; it makes a lot of sense.

adri wrote:

Not me. I'm generally not a fan of automation like that, more often than I care for it results in me getting something that I didn't want. I like to be asked whether or not I want an application updated and/or bandwidth consumed by a process.

ocalhoun wrote:

Same here. It's really nice to know what I'm getting if I'm going to download it. Fairly often, if the information isn't there for what's in the update, or if it's updating something that is completely off the side of how I use the program, I won't download it.
Tesa323
IKR I would have wrote a complaints but its jsut alot of work and they dont even listen :./
Ghost Rider103
Isn't just Adobe, for me anyways.

I have an Android phone, and I use about 10-15 apps. I swear, some people update their apps every couple days. I get notified about an available update every single day and it's quite annoying.

I have no idea why everyone started updating things like this on nearly a daily basis. They need to cool it and come out with one update very few months or so, if that.
deanhills
One thing I can't understand is why Adobe software has to be so HEAVY. And complicated. Almost as though when one upgrades one Adobe software and you have more software on your computer of the Adobe family that they start fighting with one another as well.
Navigator
Weird stuff, it has already updated to 10.3 about three times!
saratdear
I decided to leave Adobe altogether, and go for Foxit reader. Lighter, quicker.
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
I decided to leave Adobe altogether, and go for Foxit reader. Lighter, quicker.
Now I'm learnin .... Very Happy .... I was completely unaware there was something like that. I'll check it out at home tonight.
jmraker
Here's a page that compares the different free PDF viewers
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-non-adobe-pdf-reader.htm

I use foxit but the PDF-XChange Viewer looks nice too.

You don't have to uninstall the adobe reader, just make the better one the default
deanhills
jmraker wrote:
Here's a page that compares the different free PDF viewers
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-non-adobe-pdf-reader.htm

I use foxit but the PDF-XChange Viewer looks nice too.

You don't have to uninstall the adobe reader, just make the better one the default
Excellent link, thank jmraker. I'm going to check through these this weekend. Looks as though they can do much more than my "Free" Adobe Reader can. Very Happy
Asap170
The reason with so many updates is that Adobe Reader's code is crappy so there is always a bunch of security holes in it. One of which made me get a freaking virus. It was a pain in the butt virus to fix, but luckily I had to fix it earlier on a family computer so I knew what to do. Also has anyone notice slowness with Adobe X in web view?
deanhills
Asap170 wrote:
The reason with so many updates is that Adobe Reader's code is crappy so there is always a bunch of security holes in it. One of which made me get a freaking virus. It was a pain in the butt virus to fix, but luckily I had to fix it earlier on a family computer so I knew what to do. Also has anyone notice slowness with Adobe X in web view?
I'd be curious to know more about the virust you got. That would irritate the daylights out of me too.

I'm going to try out the alternatives jmraker suggested. Particularly now that it would seem Adobe has security issues on top of everything else as well.
Asap170
deanhills wrote:
Asap170 wrote:
I'd be curious to know more about the virust you got. That would irritate the daylights out of me too.

I'm going to try out the alternatives jmraker suggested. Particularly now that it would seem Adobe has security issues on top of everything else as well.

Well first off I see your replying to like all my posts. >.<

Anyways the virus was a scare virus. The name sounds nice and that but the virus sucks to get out. It creates a random process with numbers and letters and hides all files. But when you first see it and have it not to view hidden folders your freaking out. So luckily I killed the process before it had enough time. Got in un-hid my folders and ran Malwarebytes.
deanhills
Asap170 wrote:
Anyways the virus was a scare virus. The name sounds nice and that but the virus sucks to get out. It creates a random process with numbers and letters and hides all files. But when you first see it and have it not to view hidden folders your freaking out. So luckily I killed the process before it had enough time. Got in un-hid my folders and ran Malwarebytes.
OK thanks. Now I know what to look out for in Adobe viruses, but I think at the same time I'll just bite the bullet and download their updates. I've had a Trojan virus twice in my computing history and it is a real inconvenience to get rid of. In both cases I had to completely reformat my hard disk and start from scratch. Must say since I've been with Kaspersky in 2009 I have not had an incident yet but if you say Adobe has security issues I'm not going to take a chance with that either.
jmraker
Adobe's PDF reader and the free ones can execute javascript and Adobe's reader has been known to execute malicious media attachments in the past
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2643446
missdixy
I usually use PDFXchange viewer to view my PDFs. I like it because it lets me highlight and take notes XD Very Happy I also get really annoyed with all of Adobe's updates. I always skill them and do them later.
room1301
i can't bear this either.i ususlly use Foxit Reader
pirate
lol still ranting about adobe, although it is terrible and they need to get there act together
jmlworld
There are few workarounds involving Registery modifications. I'm sure there are couple of articles on Adobe's website explaining how to block updates, here's one of them: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402050.html

By the way, it's good to have automated updates running in the background (like that of Google Chrome) without interrupting the user.
ocalhoun
Oh yeah, I forgot one more gripe about Adobe:

Dear Adobe, It is completely ridiculous that in order to download something from you, I must first download and install 'Adobe Downloader' and then download what I want using that.

My OS and browser have several perfectly capable downloading functions (as proven by downloading your downloader), I don't need an entire separate program installed just to download things from you.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
My OS and browser have several perfectly capable downloading functions (as proven by downloading your downloader), I don't need an entire separate program installed just to download things from you.
Here I always thought the down loader was an upgrade. With the limited info I have it's probably dangerous. Adobe could easily be a Trojan horse for lots of other things that I'm not even aware off.
Twisted Evil
Nameless
jmlworld wrote:
By the way, it's good to have automated updates running in the background (like that of Google Chrome) without interrupting the user.

Background updates often do still interrupt the user. Not all programs are exactly considerate when leeching away your internet bandwidth, and if you've customised the program then occasionally things will break after the update.
jmlworld
Nameless wrote:
jmlworld wrote:

Background updates often do still interrupt the user. Not all programs are exactly considerate when leeching away your internet bandwidth, and if you've customised the program then occasionally things will break after the update.

In my knowledge, most updates don't break the user preferences such as colour schemes, settings, etc... All the good programs with the auto-update features check extension compatibilities when installing the updates. Firefox and Chrome, for example, disable incompatible add-ons after the program updates.

End-users do not check the software author website for updates and do not respond to update alerts. Users with outdated software are vulnerable to malware threats and compatibility issues.

Adobe, Google, Mozilla, Microsoft, Apple and their likes were forced to implement the automated updates. If Microsoft implemented an automated update feature in IE6 back in 2001, do you think they would beg people now to stop using the wicked browser?

Guys, you should really be grateful to your software vendors. They're in the mission to protect you. Smile
deanhills
Yeah well, no fine. I was thinking of this thread this morning when Adobe popped up for updating Flash Player. I just went ahead and did it. Was not that bad after all.
Twisted Evil
Nameless
jmlworld wrote:
Firefox and Chrome, for example, disable incompatible add-ons after the program updates. [...] Users with outdated software are vulnerable to malware threats and compatibility issues.

Well which is it, jmlworld? Which is it?! Razz

Although on a serious note, I think the 'dangers' of outdated software are highly exaggerated. Common sense will keep you away from any risks of attack in the first place. Software is not a sandwich; it does not deteriorate in quality over time.
jmlworld
deanhills wrote:
Yeah well, no fine. I was thinking of this thread this morning when Adobe popped up for updating Flash Player. I just went ahead and did it. Was not that bad after all.
Twisted Evil

Well done, Dean. I usually click the update button and continue doing other things like answering emails and few work related things. The worst thing it will ask you is to restart the computer and you can ignore that step.

Nameless wrote:
I think the 'dangers' of outdated software are highly exaggerated.

Are you serious, Nameless? When was the last time you updated your antivirus program or may be website content management system?

Nameless wrote:
Common sense will keep you away from any risks of attack in the first place.

Of course, Nameless, you've the technical ability to avoid or nullify malicious threats from your computer but don't expect the masses to be the same. There are people who do think Google himself is a virus.
Nameless
jmlworld wrote:
Are you serious, Nameless? When was the last time you updated your antivirus program or may be website content management system?

I don't use any antivirus programs (unless you count a script-blocking add-on for Firefox), and to the best of my knowledge haven't experienced any malware for years. Not clicking on the spam or downloading the dubious torrent isn't really technical ability. Sadly, I do agree that there are many, many users who are much more careless.

Anyway, I argue the details here but I do actually prefer automatic updates, largely because I'm lazy.
Josso
Does google docs open pdfs? If so... can you do it with any URL not just files you get sent? Adobe Reader I've noticed getting chunkier...
jmlworld
Josso wrote:
Does google docs open pdfs? If so... can you do it with any URL not just files you get sent? Adobe Reader I've noticed getting chunkier...

If the PDF file is stored in a web-reachable destination a.k.a. online, yes. The API is like this:

Code:
<iframe src="http://docs.google.com/gview?url=http://eapsweb.mit.edu/resources/ugrad_thesis_hndbk.pdf&embedded=true" style="width:640px; height:700px;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The above will load a thesis handbook pdf file from the MIT's website via Google Docs API.
spinout
Good complaint! there is a big load of them updates!

Hm, also windows has the same problem - always updates! Security patches... shit, make something good instead... like the architecture of an apple computer! Smile

I had a dream!!!! ... but it was eaten by VHS and other bad cheap formats like IBM... hehe - althought Sonys PS3 has had fewer updates lately. Goo stuff!
deanhills
I wonder whether some of the updates are to check whether the owner has authentic ownership of the software, i.e. Windows XP. Adobe is free, and that I would trust, but Microsoft to me is another kettle of fish. I'd not be suprised if some of the updates are Trojan Horses for something different?
Ghost900
Abode is great at always updating their software weather it needs it or not. We have talked about the updates at my school as it drives my Adobe Flash instructor crazy how they update the help file every hour or so. The Adobe team thought it brilliant to make it update any time a person posted in the Adobe Help Forums though you can override the updating madness through preferences or other ways.

I normally like to have the latest version of software but when they continually update the software to actually being a bother then I settle for manual updates that I can control.
Josso
jmlworld wrote:
Josso wrote:

If the PDF file is stored in a web-reachable destination a.k.a. online, yes. The API is like this:

Code:
<iframe src="http://docs.google.com/gview?url=http://eapsweb.mit.edu/resources/ugrad_thesis_hndbk.pdf&embedded=true" style="width:640px; height:700px;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The above will load a thesis handbook pdf file from the MIT's website via Google Docs API.

Ah awesome, is there a page somewhere with this code already on it... so I can use a form to put the url in?
pubcresvale
this is not good. Maybe adobe is going to be bad.
cybersa
New way:
Go to
/program files/common files/adobe/

You will find one folder called "Updater".
Rename it some other."Updater_bak"

Then no more update from Adobe.Smile
achowles
I use Sumatra PDF. lighter, loads pages faster and doesn't require constant updates. It seems to render pages better than Reader too.

Generally speaking though, I just don't like Adobe. They're not a nice company to have to deal with.
deanhills
achowles wrote:
I use Sumatra PDF. lighter, loads pages faster and doesn't require constant updates. It seems to render pages better than Reader too.

Generally speaking though, I just don't like Adobe. They're not a nice company to have to deal with.
I'll check it out. Looks really good. Thanks for the heads up. Very Happy
http://sumatra-pdf.en.softonic.com/
asnani04
Update screens are annoying at times, but as they are necessary for the proper functioning of the program, they shouldn't be ignored. Nevertheless, Adobe needs to rectify its excessive updating rituals.
achowles
deanhills wrote:
I'll check it out. Looks really good. Thanks for the heads up. Very Happy
http://sumatra-pdf.en.softonic.com/

To be fair, I haven't tried any other PDF readers out there. I just got fed up with Adobe's reader, found that and stuck with it. It does all I want it to and does it well enough.
deanhills
achowles wrote:
To be fair, I haven't tried any other PDF readers out there. I just got fed up with Adobe's reader, found that and stuck with it. It does all I want it to and does it well enough.
OK. I still have not tried it out, but will keep that in mind. No doubt Adobe is not happy about that. Hopefully they have taken note of the complaints however.
Twisted Evil
ProfessorY91
Nameless wrote:

Even better, I've written a script to run updates for Java, Adobe, and Google at 3am (when and if I leave my computer on. I'm guessing that the same can be achieved with Windows Task Scheduler, if you're savvy enough - but I've never done that.
achowles
deanhills wrote:
OK. I still have not tried it out, but will keep that in mind. No doubt Adobe is not happy about that. Hopefully they have taken note of the complaints however.
Twisted Evil

From the impression I got of Adobe, the last thing they're going to be inclined to do is listen to their customers. We've got free alternatives so I don't think it really matters anyway.
deanhills
achowles wrote:
From the impression I got of Adobe, the last thing they're going to be inclined to do is listen to their customers. We've got free alternatives so I don't think it really matters anyway.
Good point ..... probably how this thread came about in the first place.