FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Updating FAQ

adri
The FAQ is kind of outdated, I think. It doesn't have any information about Coins, domain names, referrals and probably some other frequently asked questions. The FAQ only gives information about frihost.net, frih.net but nothing on frih.org?

Maybe there are some other things that could be added as well? I think that updating the FAQ, will reduce the number of topics about what can be done with Frih$ and Coins.

adri
deanhills
adri wrote:
Maybe there are some other things that could be added as well? I think that updating the FAQ, will reduce the number of topics about what can be done with Frih$ and Coins.
adri
Good point, but maybe it creates opportunities for making a few extra posts. And it always gives a nice feeling for helping people as well. Wink
Bondings
It definitely needs updating, indeed.

I'm not sure if it would significantly reduce newbie questions though - they usually don't search a lot before asking a question (which is understandable in a lot of cases).

I was actually thinking how to update it just a few days ago. I was still doubting how to do it since I wanted to port the FAQ (internally) to the phpbb system so that it is easily editable by all the staff. The easiest option would be a simple post that requires editing, but another option would be to make a topic/post per question and then each question/answer could get a separate page (and be referenced that way).
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
I'm not sure if it would significantly reduce newbie questions though - they usually don't search a lot before asking a question (which is understandable in a lot of cases).
I was thinking that too.

Bondings wrote:
I was actually thinking how to update it just a few days ago. I was still doubting how to do it since I wanted to port the FAQ (internally) to the phpbb system so that it is easily editable by all the staff. The easiest option would be a simple post that requires editing, but another option would be to make a topic/post per question and then each question/answer could get a separate page (and be referenced that way).
I like the last suggestion of having one topic per question. It would also be great if you could incorporate the relevant Bondings official blog posts as stickies. I visualize a question on coins for example and having some stickies up that are linked to your official blog posts, and then the main post that is a short explanation. Smile
adri
I was rather thinking on modifying the orginal FAQ with relevant questions. Deanhills has a great idea too, to give the users some extra links for more information (a.k.a. your blog posts) and they can post any questions in those blog posts.

I remember that there was some kind of modification available to make "adding and removing" of frequently asked questions very easy but it seems that the official phpbb website, deleted the phpbb2 forums. Confused

Anyway, the important thing is that the FAQ gets an update. Smile

adri
deanhills
adri wrote:
Anyway, the important thing is that the FAQ gets an update. Smile
adri
It would be nice if we could get a logo as well or do you know of a Frihost logo that has been posted by someone at Frihost who has been creative? I checked through our main pages and could not find anything. Purpose being to create a signature block so that I can go post in Free Webhost Forums like Freewebspace. I thought if I could post a little less in Frihost and use the balance for checking out Websites where they would be looking for free hosting space, that would be the place to say something about Frihost. Is there for example any original artwork available for the "F" Favicon?
adri
Of course there are logo's but they are kinda outdated. Razz

This is the one that corresponds the favicon:

This is the one that was used for years, here on Frihost, you should probably remember this one:

Those two are two of the logo's that Frihost has used. Smile

adri
Ghost Rider103
I've offered a couple of times to design an official Frihost logo.

Bondings has been quite clear that he wants everything done himself, for learning experience, which is totally understandable.

But the latest logo that Frihost used to use is probably enough. Not to mention, it's a huge improvement from Steve's first logo.

I'd really like to see an actual logo for Frihost. I would be more than willing to help Bondings out in giving tips and pointing him in the right direction. Otherwise, my offer still of course stands to create an official logo. Razz
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Bondings has been quite clear that he wants everything done himself, for learning experience, which is totally understandable.
Aha, I did not get it before, Frihost is Bondings' Sand Box so to speak. OK. Got it. I'm now on the same page ..... finally. Razz

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
But the latest logo that Frihost used to use is probably enough. Not to mention, it's a huge improvement from Steve's first logo.
Embarassed Oops! I must have missed out on that one, which one was that, is it possible to post it so I can download it as I want to make up a signature for me for use in other Forums? If I can get a .png version that would be awesome.

In the meanwhile I'm also working on the ones Adri kindly provided. I managed to make a .png out of the one with my GIMP no less. I like it! The blue is great! Very Happy
saratdear
Just a heads up, Dean, there is no point in linking your Frihost referral link in your signature - registered users wouldn't need it anyway, and I believe unregistered users can't view signatures.
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:

One topic;
First post would be a list of all the questions, with links to each question/answer.
Subsequent posts would be one question/answer per post.

You can link to individual posts like this: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-1035591.html#1035591, so it would all work nicely... and be easy to edit.

That seems the best way to do it to me... Then just redirect the FAQ link at the top to that topic.
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
Just a heads up, Dean, there is no point in linking your Frihost referral link in your signature - registered users wouldn't need it anyway, and I believe unregistered users can't view signatures.
You're absolutely right sarat. I just put it there for Bondings and Adri to check out. Adri has checked it out, and so I will be removing it shortly again. I was intending to use it in a different Forum for advertising, but got the message that signatures with referral links are against Forum rules, makes good sense to me. I'll probably find different ways of using the logo with the referral link, except not as a signature though.
Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Aha, I did not get it before, Frihost is Bondings' Sand Box so to speak. OK. Got it. I'm now on the same page ..... finally. Razz

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Embarassed Oops! I must have missed out on that one, which one was that, is it possible to post it so I can download it as I want to make up a signature for me for use in other Forums? If I can get a .png version that would be awesome.

In the meanwhile I'm also working on the ones Adri kindly provided. I managed to make a .png out of the one with my GIMP no less. I like it! The blue is great! Very Happy

It's the second one Adri posted.

I just meant it's a big improvement from the first frihost logo (the first one Adri posted).

I'd link them in this post, but I'm lazy. Razz
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
It's the second one Adri posted.

I just meant it's a big improvement from the first frihost logo (the first one Adri posted).

I'd link them in this post, but I'm lazy. Razz
Thanks GhostRider, I agree, I really prefer the second one myself, and then when I got rid of the grey background while I was trying to make a transparent background the logo turned into a coloour blue that I also prefer. I'm very happy with the one I have now. Very Happy
Bondings
I have updated the FAQ a bit and ported it to the forum system so that the whole staff (and me) can easily edit it here.

I might change it to a list of questions with each question leading to its own page with answer, but that is a lot more work and will have to wait a bit.
deanhills
Looks great Bondings. If you do have time do you think a question about the ranks could be an idea? I remember when I first joined that was one of the first questions that came up for me. How many posts do I have to make to get to the next rank and what is it called.

Also if there could be a prominent button for SUPPORT that would take the person straight to the support forum if the FAQs have not answered the question? It could also be put up with the links as Support is one of Frihost's greatest strengths.
Very Happy
Bondings
Good ideas for questions for the FAQ, deanhills.
ocalhoun
Looked at the new FAQ, and saw a bit of an issue:
Quote:

Q: What are the 'FRIH$'?
The FRIH$ are a deprecated currency that is now replaced by the Coins. Users that already have coins can still use them for a lot of things.

Didn't you mean frih$ for that red part?

Also, I'd either change it to 'What are frih$ and coins?' or add in another question about what coins are and how they can be used.

The passing mention of coins without an explanation of them is likely to confuse people more than no information at all, I'd think.