FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wii U

william
Wow, I'm actually surprised there isn't a thread for this. Well, for those of you who don't know, the Wii U is the successor to Nintendo's Wii home console. Due for release mid-2012, it will feature HD graphics, a higher capacity storage medium, and backwards compatibility with Wii titles. Of course the big news is the new controller.

The controller will have a 6" touch screen along with an accelerometer and gyroscope (like the Wii Motion Plus), two circle pads, a D-Pad, face buttons, analog triggers, and digital shoulder buttons.

If you ask me, it is an interesting approach. My only hope, however, is more titles targeted at old Nintendo fans. I would love to see a return of Starfox and F-Zero. The only thing that does puzzle me is that supposedly you are limited to one controller.
Nameless
william wrote:
The only thing that does puzzle me is that supposedly you are limited to one controller.

The tech to support four of the Wii U controllers would have pushed up the cost of the unit[citation needed].

The new controller sounds one part interesting, two parts awkward and fifteen parts there is no way ninety percent of game developers are not going to add irritating gimmicks to their products just because they can if every single other different control method is anything to go by, so I'm not really excited.
weableandbob
It looks cool, although there's some ambiguity as to how powerful it would be (Some say it will be very powerful, able to compete with Microsoft and Sony, but Miyamoto said that it wouldn't be all that great)
LostOverThere
Regards to only having 1 controller? Has that actually been properly confirmed yet? Last thing I heard was Nintendo did have the means to support at least 2 Wii U controllers, but it was more a cost thing than a technical issue.

I'd imagine controllers with a 6" screen that wirelessly stream data from the console are not cheap to come by.

Still, the console could make for some very interesting applications indeed.
william
LostOverThere wrote:
Regards to only having 1 controller? Has that actually been properly confirmed yet? Last thing I heard was Nintendo did have the means to support at least 2 Wii U controllers, but it was more a cost thing than a technical issue.

Well they've just confirmed that the Wii U will support up to two gamepads though initial games will only support one. They also introduced a Wii U Pro controller which shares the same button layout as the gamepad but with a traditional design.
william
The launch seems to be a promising one. Decent title section (even if many are ports) and an acceptable price (though I was hoping for about $50 less for each model, oh well). So how many of you have preordered it? I admit I considered it but decided not to drop $350 until I finish my remaing Wii games. Laughing
darthrevan
I personally don't like nintendo anymore. I liked the original Nintendo mainly because of super Mario and duck hunt . I don't play the new games they have for it, to me they target children more , and I play the more adult stuff LOL. I almost thought about trying the star wars game for the Wii but never did buy he game.
Lishmares
The console looks great, but still i dont think we can call the Wii U a competitor to the Xbox and the Playstation... Then again, i know that nintendo makes consoles designed for the kids so we cant really compare... Anyway i wish we will be able to play old school games like snes (wich was my favorite nintendo console). If we can i will surely buy it otherwise, i dont think it will be worth the investment.
taytay
They haven't advertised for the Wii-U near as much they did the original Wii. I didn't even know it existed until I took a trip to game stop and saw one there. I was very confused! Advertising is what gets people with these kinds of things. I'm a fairly avid gamer and I didn't know anything about it, but I've heard all the speculation on the next Sony Console and the next Microsoft console.. but I had no clue about the Nintendo console, and it's already out too!! shame shame.. Hard to really tell if it's just my shame, or if they really did drop the ball on advertising. So far anyway. Maybe they're working out a few kinks then they'll start the heavy advertising? Who knows
taytay
Lishmares wrote:
The console looks great, but still i dont think we can call the Wii U a competitor to the Xbox and the Playstation... Then again, i know that nintendo makes consoles designed for the kids so we cant really compare... Anyway i wish we will be able to play old school games like snes (wich was my favorite nintendo console). If we can i will surely buy it otherwise, i dont think it will be worth the investment.

I do agree here. For the Wii a few of the N64 Games were available for download, if they were able to get many more(preferably all old games of nintendo make) they would get a lot more consoles sold. I still play my N64 from time to time with friends. The old mario parties and james bond games, especially super smash bros! I'm working on getting a receiver for my computer to let me use my wireless 360 controllers on it, then I can use the nintendo emulator and really play all these old games. It'll work for now, and for free. If nintendo did official releases, I'd buy them in a heart beat!
william
darthrevan wrote:
I don't play the new games they have for it, to me they target children more , and I play the more adult stuff LOL. I almost thought about trying the star wars game for the Wii but never did buy he game.

Lishmares wrote:
Then again, i know that nintendo makes consoles designed for the kids so we cant really compare

Honestly, I kind of blame Nintendo of America for creating that image for the Wii (don't know what the situation in Europe is). They advertised games like Mario Party or Mario Kart a lot more than games like the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (which gave us 1:1 swordplay...which is awesome). Not only that, but they also withhold some excellent games for the North American market. Only after fan pressure did they finally release Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story here (and the former is pretty hard to find for under $80 Sad ) .

Still, I am a PC gamer first and foremost, and neither the 360 or PS3 offered enough new content for me to consider them (and when your average game purchase is only about $5, it's hard to see the value in the same game for a console). The Wii was at least unique, and several core first party titles kept Nintendo's legendary quality. Still, I will agree I was disappointed with the Wii library, not because of the lack of guns or anything, but rather the lack of titles that made me love their older consoles.

They are, however, aiming to make the Wii U more "hardcore" this time around. The launch titles certainly seem to support that and hopefully with enough third party support the Wii U could be considered an alternative to the PS4/720/PC rather than a supplement.

And I totally agree about the lack of advertising for the Wii U. The Wii was very hyped in 2006 and everyone knew about it. Not so much this time around. Still, the preorders are sold out everywhere, so I think they'll do just fine.
taytay
either way. I still want one. As long as I can afford it. It looks like some fun! And comes with an over-sized gameboy! haha.
LostOverThere
So, the Wii U launches in just a few short days. Strangely enough it doesn't feel like it's so soon. Nintendo haven't really been pushing it. But, if there's one thing I've learned it's never to underestimate Nintendo. They like to play things pretty close to the chest, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an aggressive marketing campaign the day the system launches.

Either that or, they realise they're going to be sold out for months anyway, so an aggressive marketing campaign would prove fruitless. What do I know.
subhan1
Wii U looks awesome - completely new idea and techniques Smile
I like the graphics and gameplay - wish I get one Very Happy