FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do not post here!

Bluedoll
Do not post a reply, leave now or face the consequences!

Have you ever noticed if you tell someone on the internet what to do, a lot of people will do the exact opposite. For that reason, I think it is better to offer a couple of choices but highlight a favored one and why. Do you think there are many more ways of attracting people in a preferred direction than trying to control what they do?

Try putting two buttons on your web page but label one that says “do not click here”. I will place my money on the one most pushed will be that one labeled what not to do. What do you think?

Do you think people need to be directed by forceful persuasions or does soft suggestion work too? Which is stronger? If you left this page as instructed tell me (the consequence was you got zero points right?) or tell me about that program you recently installed where you checked disagree in the terms, how the program is working for you?

We always have choices but often we are not sure which way to go or what to do and do appreciate some helpful tips. I do wonder though, how people think when they are on their computer. Do you feel empowered to ‘surf’ with the power of a wave beside you? Or do you feel one wrong decision and you are one step closer to becoming something on the water that is no more?
Nameless
If anything, I would suggest that reverse psychology is less effective over the internet because the target (in most cases) will have more time to think about it and realise something is up. Plus you lose tone and whatnot, so people will be more inclined to go with their instinctual choice rather than be convinced by your cunning (backwards or otherwise) argument.

The "do not click" button isn't really an example, because nobody is going to knowingly put a dud button in unless it's a joke or a crappy attention seeking device.
deanhills
Good point Bluedoll. I'm just thinking about the little box we have to tick to say that we agree with the terms and conditions and how many times I decided not to continue if there were the slightest about whether I'm going to be spammed with anything, etc. etc. I stopped in my tracks. I think I'm the same as you are. The moment someone tells me what to do, and I have the freedom to say no, depending on what I want or trust, I usually move in an opposite direction.

I'm convinced the less barriers we put up with rules and "what not to do", the more positive responses we will get. Smile
jmlworld
I'm not sure where, but I read a report about a research run by one of those bored companies. It was an advertisement placed online with a statement like "Virus warning: do not click here", they were expecting to receive few clicks, but the numbers where huge in their surprise.

This means that people are vulnerable to online punishments by taking ignoring warnings like this. Now, Bluedoll might have hacked the Frihost system and is now collecting the passwords of everyone replying to this thread.

Many of us install commercial software in our computers and most (if not all) of these software have a nag screen demanding you to agree long chapters of terms and conditions specific to that software. We always tick the "I accept the licenses/terms/conditions" check box without a second thought. We then share the software with our wives, kids, parents, friends, local taxi drivers, new girlfriends, bosses, bosses of our bosses, etc... Isn't it violating your software's terms and conditions?

Now think about the opposite, start a new thread with the title "Reply to this thread, please" and let's see the result. Many people would think that you're desperate for attention.
Nintendo
The key to why people act like this commonly is the power of anonymity.

I believe that the way people act when they think they're alone / not being watched is the true value of a person... not the way they act in social conventions. On the internet, noone knows who you are. I could spam the most outrageous abuse on this forum, and still that wouldn't really matter to me would it... I would probably get a ban or something and that would be it.

If you ever use programs such as IRC or join a chat channel for any reason, you will -always- see a group of people saying the most unbelievable things that in person you would never imagine anyone saying. So many not-nice people =x. So i guess in general, the internet is a good way for people to get rid of those bottled and desired negative emotions etc. cos there, noone knows who they are.

Interesting topic! And clearly, people are replying to this topic cos the title seems to be an ironic joke... not serious ;p
deanhills
Nintendo wrote:
The key to why people act like this commonly is the power of anonymity.

I believe that the way people act when they think they're alone / not being watched is the true value of a person... not the way they act in social conventions. On the internet, noone knows who you are. I could spam the most outrageous abuse on this forum, and still that wouldn't really matter to me would it... I would probably get a ban or something and that would be it.

If you ever use programs such as IRC or join a chat channel for any reason, you will -always- see a group of people saying the most unbelievable things that in person you would never imagine anyone saying. So many not-nice people =x. So i guess in general, the internet is a good way for people to get rid of those bottled and desired negative emotions etc. cos there, noone knows who they are.

Interesting topic! And clearly, people are replying to this topic cos the title seems to be an ironic joke... not serious ;p
Agreed. except anonymity can only last for a few seconds, and then one would have to move on, as one won't be invisible any longer. People usually reveal much more about themselves when they think they are anonymous, and this revealing of themselves create something that is completely the opposite of what they intend to be ... anonymous.
sonam
I think reason for this is adrenalin. If someone doing something what is not regular then coming out some NICE (negativ or positiv) feeling. I can do this, who cares. Why I cannot reply, I can.

Sonam
Nintendo
deanhills wrote:
People usually reveal much more about themselves when they think they are anonymous, and this revealing of themselves create something that is completely the opposite of what they intend to be ... anonymous.

That's a really interesting point : ) I think this makes a good balance though. I personally feel that I am able to express myself a lot more online than I do in person; because I lack self confidence. Doing things online provides me almost with a safety barrier... It makes life hard sometimes to say the least... ;p

So this safety barrier perhaps doesn't provide "anonymity" perhaps, but certainly a mysterious identity.
deanhills
Nintendo wrote:
deanhills wrote:
People usually reveal much more about themselves when they think they are anonymous, and this revealing of themselves create something that is completely the opposite of what they intend to be ... anonymous.

That's a really interesting point : ) I think this makes a good balance though. I personally feel that I am able to express myself a lot more online than I do in person; because I lack self confidence. Doing things online provides me almost with a safety barrier... It makes life hard sometimes to say the least... ;p

So this safety barrier perhaps doesn't provide "anonymity" perhaps, but certainly a mysterious identity.
I'm not sure whether I can express myself better, but I do have much less inhibitions though, especially in the small hours of the night. During day time, especially when I'm at work and I have a chance to look at what I've written, I can't believe what I've written! My mindset is completely different in the two settings.
Bluedoll
I am always ... changing ... what I write.

Good idea there fella, make a post that asks for a response then compare the results but what about the people that went away without posting because they were told to? Do they count? Yes, this topic is not very serious as some. Is this allowed sometimes?

Yes, I think so and I am me while online as I am me offline and often in the two places at the same time. d'oh! - that's way too hard to think about!
watersoul
Bluedoll wrote:
[...]Yes, I think so and I am me while online as I am me offline and often in the two places at the same time. d'oh! - that's way too hard to think about!

I'm pretty much the same in online discussion as 'real' life. Everything I post is always true to how I feel at the time, but I may change some minor location/name/details/dates to maintain some kind of anonymity.

Bluedoll wrote:
I do wonder though, how people think when they are on their computer. Do you feel empowered to ‘surf’ with the power of a wave beside you? Or do you feel one wrong decision and you are one step closer to becoming something on the water that is no more?

It all depends on how interested I am in having a robust debate or not.
Internet discussion is certainly less concerning to me than people who I interact with in person though. Being insulted online has far less potential challenges than walking past a group of robbing scum heroin addicts in a shady lane on my way home for example! Wink
spinout
Well. "Do not drop the glass!" - even that works! obvious
loremar
Well, I really did not intend to post here when i read the title while browsing this forum. It was really my curiosity that brought me here and not my defiant attitude. But when i read the thread and the fact that everyone else is posting, so what the heck i posted because there's no reason why anyone should not post here. There was no consequences.

The same goes with the society. If a rule is set, you don't tend to disobey the rule. But when everyone else is doing it, even with apparent consequences, you tend to follow them and disobey the rule. Much like a mob mentality.

The same also goes with the culture of impunity. Corruption, crime, immorality, etc. are some of the results of this kind of culture. Some people tend to disobey simply because many people easily get around with the law.
deanhills
loremar wrote:
Some people tend to disobey simply because many people easily get around with the law.
Or maybe they had been suppressed at some or other point as we see happening now with the Arab Revolt in the Middle East. On the other hand, perhaps some of them are disobeying because they see others around them doing the same. But against the law, not around it.
Very Happy
loremar
deanhills wrote:
loremar wrote:
Some people tend to disobey simply because many people easily get around with the law.
Or maybe they had been suppressed at some or other point as we see happening now with the Arab Revolt in the Middle East. On the other hand, perhaps some of them are disobeying because they see others around them doing the same. But against the law, not around it.
Very Happy

Sorry, not get around but get away. I'm really poor in english.
metalfreek
There is hardly any punishment for doing things online. Online is should I say the most lawless place so people love to break rules and so will they. The state of anonymity is a blessing for everyone on web.