FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Big brother is watching closer and closer..

S3nd K3ys
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/06/696.asp

Quote:
The Missouri Department of Transportation will spend $3 million annually on a program to monitor the movements of individuals on highways via their cell phones -- without their knowledge or consent.

Delcan NET, a Canadian company, developed the system which triangulates the location of each driver by monitoring the signal sent from the cell phone as it is handed off from one cell tower to the next. Each phone is uniquely identified and the information is compared with a highway map to record on what road each motorist is traveling at any given time. The system also records the speed of each vehicle, opening up another potential ticketing technology.

When you ask for Big Brother, you always get more than you bargained for!
shr3dd
This is in no way constitutional, an invasion of privacy, a removal of freedom, and a fund raising ploy (if they use it for ticketing). I would move out of state if my state (Virginia) ever did anything like this.
earthchild
one could always ditch their cell phone.
shr3dd
One could, but that still doesn't show dissapproval of government actions. But why not ditch the phone, your freedoms are being taken away anyway.
Nameless
In today's modern society Freedom and Privacy are slowly being fazed out. *sigh*

The solution to this of course would be to not have a mobile phone.
coolpages
yes i totaly agree with you on this fact.
its true...thnks for posting the news
earthchild
agreed, tracking people's whereabouts is creepy. hopefully there will always be a way to avoid this.
DarkYuke
What happened to civil liberties?
S3nd K3ys
DarkYuke wrote:
What happened to civil liberties?

Ask the ACLU
atomictoyz
shr3dd wrote:
This is in no way constitutional, an invasion of privacy, a removal of freedom, and a fund raising ploy (if they use it for ticketing). I would move out of state if my state (Virginia) ever did anything like this.

Read the Constitution.

How can it be an invasion of privacy if your driving around on government owned property broadcasting signals into space?

How does it remove your freedom? Are you not still driving where and when you want?

After you read the constitution and you've found where your rights become limited during times of war then go back and think about things like the patriot act.

After that you will see that the war is illegal because the powers to do so cannot be transferred to the President. There also must be a formal Declaration to go to war by Congress. Article 1, Sect 8.

Isn't modern day politics fun Smile

Peace,
Atomic
ChunkyBustout
Sonn as there is enough public outcry about being tracked through your cell phone, the government will simply say it's part of the Homeland Security Act.
Resident Egoist
Nameless wrote:
In today's modern society Freedom and Privacy are slowly being fazed out. *sigh*

The solution to this of course would be to not have a mobile phone.

Interesting. Now let's push that to its logical conclusions:

"In today's moderns society, Freedom and the right to life are slowly being fazed out.

The solution to this of course would be to not have a life, i.e., commit suicide"

Yep, Great advice!

By the way, who says that you have such a thing as an irreducible "right to privacy"?
gonzo
Big brother has never arrived. Sooooo many people misuse the reference
SNES350
I don't mind things like this (this minor) but the bigger things (like the Patriot Act) are what really make me think about the government. Also using a name like "Patriot Act" on such a nasty law is disheartening...

As of right now I think they won't find out WHO's cellphone it is they're tracking unless something actually happens. Sure they'll have your IMEI (or whatever is used on non-GSM), but still have to check with providers who is using that phone.
S3nd K3ys
SNES350 wrote:
..using a name like "Patriot Act" on such a nasty law..

Have you read what the Patriot Act does? Confused
Gubber
what about having a phone, and having it off most of the time, and just leaving voice mails, and cheacking your phone every time you get the chance
S3nd K3ys
S3nd K3ys wrote:
SNES350 wrote:
..using a name like "Patriot Act" on such a nasty law..

Have you read what the Patriot Act does? Confused

I didn't think so.
waring
Dag, man, this isn't good at all. I think, like, if they have a reason to say that a certain individual should be tracked or something, then i'm down with it. otherwise, no way mang.
xorcist
earthchild wrote:
one could always ditch their cell phone.

But then again they can see that the cellphone is in the same spot for a while.