FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Apple or IBM compatible?

deanhills
I'm wondering who have Apple hardware and how they are able to survive in a computer world where IBM compatible computers are the standard hardware? Why did they choose Apple? Are they happy with their Apple desktops/laptops and what are the differences that made them choose an Apple over an IBM compatible? If they had a choice, would they choose the same brand a next time round? Very Happy
adri
deanhills wrote:
I'm wondering who have Apple hardware and how they are able to survive in a computer world where IBM compatible computers are the standard hardware? Why did they choose Apple? Are they happy with their Apple desktops/laptops and what are the differences that made them choose an Apple over an IBM compatible? If they had a choice, would they choose the same brand a next time round? Very Happy

Explain IBM compatible? Razz

I have an Apple laptop, Macbook Pro 15" mid 2010, and I have zero problems with connectivity. Smile It works very good with my all-in-one printers (Canon MP540 and Canon MP520) and it is a lot easier than stupid old Windows. Smile I never had to install a driver or something like that, I just plugged it in, print it out and done. Cool You do need to buy a Mini-displayport to DVI or VGA adapter for connecting to non-Apple screens, but that's no biggie either.

Will I choose for an Apple laptop again? Of course I will, I will never, well at least not for the foreseeable future, change to Windows again, I would rather change to Linux actually if I choose to stay away from Apple.

adri
Ankhanu
I was a Windows user until about 2000, when I started also using various Linux distros part time as well. In 2007 I chose to move over to Mac and I haven't been the least bit displeased with the choice. I just bought my second Mac this year, and don't see why I'd want to switch back to Windows in the future. If I abandon MacOS and Apple hardware, I'll almost definitely go the Linux route.
I opted to switch to Mac for system stability, hardware quality/consistency, aesthetics and (imo) a superior user interface. You can't customize as much as you can with Windows or Linux, but I've not really felt the need to customize MacOS to the degree that I've needed to customize the other OSes, it makes sense as it is and it looks good, so it hasn't felt like a limitation.

In the modern world, compatibility generally isn't an issue between Mac and Windows users. Most of the major software for productivity work on both platforms, i.e. MS Office and the like. Gaming is about the only area that most users might have an issue, but, you can install Windows on Apple hardware to play games if you really must. For professionals, it really depends on your area of work as to which platform is better; for some, they require Mac specific programs, others require Windows specific software (i.e. AutoCAD)... but most can find software for either platform. Traditionally, sciences and arts were somewhat dominated by Mac, but the lines have blurred.
william
Ankhanu wrote:
others require Windows specific software (i.e. AutoCAD)...

Just thought I would mention, AutoCAD is now available on OS X. I think it came out last October. (See here).
Ankhanu
Well there ya go. Maybe I should have used a statistics package like Minitab or something Razz
NitNik
Mac OS X-Computers are very easy to use in existing networks. The most networks (like wlan) are based upon standards Mac- and iOS-Hardware is compatible to. The most external hardware like keyboards and speakers is supporting Mac. And if some hardware isn't compatible to Mac, it is not important: Macs are working out of the box and they have everything you need to work with.

Apple-computers are as easy as windows computers to integrate in existing networks.
Mikiwi93
buy an hp dv6-3141sl is vanilla compatible...doesn't work the wifi card