FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good & Bad aspects of Dashain festival celebrated by Hin

shivaghimire
Good aspects of Dashain festival of Hindu
i. Entertains all: children, adults and old
ii. Relatives meet and become close with each other.
iii. If anyone in the family or relatives quarreled, fought in past year, they end their disputes and become close.
iv. There is continuity of tradition.

Bad aspects of Dashain festival of Hindu
i. Many innocent animals are cut down.
ii. People play cards and gambling where they loose their properties and many even loose their home which can destroy their own and family life.
iii. They use lost of money even by taking loan .i.e. the use money out of their capacity.
iv. It brings happiness in one side but other side it becomes tension in poor family.
submission
hmmm, you are right, every thing has good and bad effect, its up to you what you want to opt.
ocalhoun
You know... you could have a bit of reform and keep the good while getting rid of the bad.
i. under the 'bad' section, in particular...
Quote:

Now, many Hindus people are against sacrificing innocent animals. According to Hindu religious texts regarding animal rights, nothing is mentioned of animal sacrifice to appease Gods and Goddesses, who would never approve their own creatures being slaughtered in their name. Human beings are killing those innocent creatures for their own selfish motive. It is against Hindu religion and way of life, in reality. The respect that must exist for fellow living creatures must be maintained. Hindu religious books Speak of co-existence with all the other living creatures for a better world. So, killing animals as sacrificial offering must be stopped. Celebrate Dashain the vegetarian way. Save animals, save the eco-system.

It's a shame that some put themselves badly in debt in order to go, but if family ties are that important to you, I suppose you're prepared to make some sacrifices for them.

...If the family being together brings more tension than happiness, then simply stop doing it. ^.^

Though, as far as the gambling goes, I have no problem with that. If you are gambling and you bet more than you can afford to lose, you're an idiot... And there's no way anybody can prevent an idiot from losing his money on one foolish thing or another.
Bikerman
My major criticism of Hinuism would be centred on the caste system. This seems to me to entrench discrimination and priviledge by giving it a religious justification. It is also, I think, deeply racist. Take India as the illustrative example (India has the largest number of Hindus in the world by a massive margin). In the Indian caste system it is almost axiomatic that those of a 'higher caste' will also have lighter skin.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
My major criticism of Hinuism would be centred on the caste system. This seems to me to entrench discrimination and priviledge by giving it a religious justification. It is also, I think, deeply racist. Take India as the illustrative example (India has the largest number of Hindus in the world by a massive margin). In the Indian caste system it is almost axiomatic that those of a 'higher caste' will also have lighter skin.
Looks as though I'm in agreement again although I don't see it as racist. More like a cultural paradox. Just incredibly macabre and sad at the same time considering the many Hindis that have committed suicide as a result. I lived in Durban, South Africa for a while and as a student worked in the Public Prosecutor's Inquests Office and that was pretty revealing of the consequences of this caste system.
shivaghimire
Firstly, I am not an idiot that I loose lots of my property in gambling. I even don't involve in gambling. I too follow Hinduism and I celebrate this festival. Yes, I am non-vegetarian but we don't do sacrifice of innocent animals in my home. I try to be vegetarian but I like non-veg food so much, what can I do? I can't kill my want and desire. But I don't cut the innocent animals with my hand, promise.
Bikerman
I bet you are not a Dalit though....
shivaghimire
Bikerman wrote:
I bet you are not a Dalit though....

Need not to bet.. you are right sir..
Bikerman
I wonder if you would hold the same view of Hinduism if you were? I suspect not....
saratdear
Bikerman wrote:
I wonder if you would hold the same view of Hinduism if you were? I suspect not....

And what is that 'view' you are talking of?

Caste discrimination did exist in India, and on a large scale. But that was decades before. Now you might find it, but not on a large scale, and certainly not in the big cities. The only places where it might come up is really rural places.

Source: Indian, Hindu, non-dalit.
Bikerman
saratdear wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

And what is that 'view' you are talking of?

Caste discrimination did exist in India, and on a large scale. But that was decades before. Now you might find it, but not on a large scale, and certainly not in the big cities. The only places where it might come up is really rural places.

Source: Indian, Hindu, non-dalit.

You think so eh? Apparently your Prime Minister doesn't agree, and nor do several surveys and studies.

a) 3/4 of the population live in rural areas.
b) It is certainly still very prevalent
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0306/feature1/
http://www.hindu.com/2009/01/08/stories/2009010853480800.htm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1542669/Caste-system-still-blighting-India.html
http://www.dsnuk.org/other/Submission%20to%20the%20Trade%20and%20Industry%20Select%20Committee.pdf
saratdear
a) Yup. Approximately 75% do live in rural areas - however you have to consider that the line between village and city is blurred. I live in an area which comes under a village - but in reality I am closer to a small town - and I do not see any caste discrimination going around in and around my area. The same goes for many other places around India.

b) Here are some pages which suggest it is not that prevalent.

http://www.mahavidya.ca/hindu-social-organization-and-values/changing-attitudes-regarding-the-indian-caste-system/
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/30/world/asia/30caste.html?pagewanted=2&ref=asia
http://indianchristians.in/news/content/view/311/48/

My point is that online sources are not any more credible than personal experiences.

In places of India where education and reason have replaced old values, we have done away with untouchability. It does exist - but not as much as say, 50-75 years ago. Earlier, if you belonged to a 'high' caste, you were highly likely to be financially well-off and vice versa. Nowadays no such divide exists. If you have money, irrespective of your caste, you are good to go.
Bikerman
Well, the first link doesn't say that. It does say that the importance is diminishing, but if you look at the actual stats there are still between 20 and 40% who don't embrace the change - and in a country the size of yours, that is a LOT of people.
The second link says similar - that it is diminishing, but it doesn't say it isn't widespread still.
Quote:
Today, discrimination continues, with some studies suggesting that those with familiar lower-caste names fare worse in job interviews, even with similar qualifications. The Indian elite, whether corporate heads, filmmakers, even journalists, is still dominated by the upper castes.
From across India still come reports of brutality against untouchables trying to transcend their destiny.

The third is a local story concentrating on 3 villages - not really much use as an overview.

I've not got an axe to grind about India - it is, in many ways, doing extremely well and progressing rapidly. I really hope that caste DOES die out completely, but I don't think you are at that point yet.
saratdear
To be frank my point was the credibility of the online sources - and not the information contained in them. With a sensitive topic like this there are bound to be differing articles which we can't take at face value.

Bikerman wrote:
I've not got an axe to grind about India - it is, in many ways, doing extremely well and progressing rapidly. I really hope that caste DOES die out completely, but I don't think you are at that point yet.

Totally understood. I've not misunderstood you in any way. I wish the caste system dies out as well, but as you said it isn't gonna happen in the near future.