FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Directory (Cost x coins and DoFollow)

GoldenEagle
Can we revitalize the directory by making it cost an entry fee in coins (yay another way to spend them, making them more useful) and making the links dofollow?

I'm sure if you set the value at the correct number, you'll have enough buy-in for people to use the feature, but it won't so accessible to be abused.
cybersa
Nice Suggestion.
I welcome this.
deanhills
I thought there was an entry fee, or am I wrong?
Ghost Rider103
There is an entry fee. However getting a directory listing is only available with purchase of Frih$.

I think he's asking to be able to get into the directory using coins. Which would make sense, as new users would have no way of getting onto the directory unless they did something in the Marketplace for Frih$ (or the contest forum).
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
There is an entry fee. However getting a directory listing is only available with purchase of Frih$.

I think he's asking to be able to get into the directory using coins. Which would make sense, as new users would have no way of getting onto the directory unless they did something in the Marketplace for Frih$ (or the contest forum).
OK, I get it, it's just something that needs to be modified so that one can pay with both Frih$ as well as coins?
Ghost Rider103
Yep. I believe Bondings has a plan to make everything Frih$ are useful to also make Coins useful for as well.

When (if I'm even correct) this will be done I have no idea.
loremar
That's a good suggestion. And the directory needs some cleaning. Too many broken sites. I want to see the best sites that frihosters made.
SonLight
If there were a fee of at least one coin per month, there would be some incentive to keep only active sites in the directory. I would suggest the ability to sign up for longer (or even unlimited) time, but with the coins being charged as used, and allowing cancellation at any time. A test for an active site could also be done, with the directory listing suspended and the user notified if it was inactive.
ocalhoun
SonLight wrote:
A test for an active site could also be done, with the directory listing suspended and the user notified if it was inactive.

Could be resource intensive for the server(s), and it may be difficult (for a script) to distinguish between a valid site and an 'under construction' page.
rajpk
i think this suggestion is good
Peterssidan
I like the idea that you can pay with coins also but I'm not sure if I like a monthly fee. There is already the bidding option that you can use if you want to spend your Frih$. Don't forget that Coins is much harder to earn than Frih$ was so not all members can afford monthly fee.

If a potentially new user looks in the directory and finds that most of the sites are dead he might think this is because the free hosting here sucks or is not working properly and decide not to try. Therefore I think it's important to clean up in the directory from time to time.
ocalhoun
Peterssidan wrote:
Coins is much harder to earn than Frih$

Well... not really... now it's almost impossible to earn Frih$.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
Coins is much harder to earn than Frih$

Well... not really... now it's almost impossible to earn Frih$.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
You've made my evening!

I guess the only way one could earn Frih$ is by starting a Bank and barter Frih$.

PS: Great new signatures! Completely NEW? Like the philosophy in them.

Peterssidan
You missed one important word
Peterssidan wrote:
Coins is much harder to earn than Frih$ was

My point is that Frih$ was earned for every post and by just keeping your points above zero you earned some. To earn coins you need to post more than the required amount or you will earn nothing at all. This is a big difference.
ocalhoun
Peterssidan wrote:
You missed one important word
Peterssidan wrote:
Coins is much harder to earn than Frih$ was

I DID miss an important word!
Sorry about that...
Peterssidan
I think ocalhoun is making fun of me. The blue horses are cute so no need to feel sorry.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
I think ocalhoun is making fun of me. The blue horses are cute so no need to feel sorry.
Sorry Peterssidan, I also missed the point and you're dead right with this. I even wrote about it too I think that the Frih$ was a really great record of the level of my posting activity. I'm actually sorry we moved to coins from that point of view. Would have been great if we could have earned both Frih$ and Coins and the Coins only be used for certain more expensive items like Website domains.
Asap170
Personally I don't think anyone uses the directory... I would only check the directory if I was really really bored and just happened to be on Frihost roaming around.
Ghost Rider103
Asap170 wrote:
Personally I don't think anyone uses the directory... I would only check the directory if I was really really bored and just happened to be on Frihost roaming around.

A lot of people have added their websites to the directory.

Whether people still bid for top listing I'm not sure. I used to bid every week for the top listing and remember getting in some bidding battles with some people for the top spot.

Now however I haven't been advertising too much so I haven't bothered to bid. But if I ever need to focus on getting visitors again, I'll definitely use it.
ocalhoun
Asap170 wrote:

Personally, I consider the directory not particularly useful for directly getting traffic, but useful in that it is a link from a reputable site, which improves SEO ratings, and therefore makes your site slightly more likely to get traffic from search engines.

...I may be a bit skewed on that though, since my website had* such a narrow clientele that broad-based advertising to random people would be unlikely to gain any new interest.

*Yeah, it's down now... Perhaps my SEO was a bit too good, and now somebody scalped the domain name away from me when it came up for renewal.
SonLight
ocalhoun wrote:

*Yeah, it's down now... Perhaps my SEO was a bit too good, and now somebody scalped the domain name away from me when it came up for renewal.

Sorry to hear that. I looked at it and it appears to be a parked domain, so I thought maybe there is still some chance of salvaging it. Looking at the whois data, though, it appears it was renewed in July after being eligible for cancellation and/or renewal in April.

whois data wrote:
Created On:28-Apr-2006 19:35:54 UTC
Last Updated On:11-Jul-2011 21:23:05 UTC
Expiration Date:28-Apr-2012 19:35:54 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Wild West Domains, Inc. (R120-LROR)
Registrant ID:CR85266133
Registrant Name:<removed for privacy, but not likely to be Ocalhoun>

Will we be seeing your site at another address soon, perhaps ocalhoun dot frih dot net ?

Meanwhile, back at the directory thread Surprised

Part of the suggestion was to have a dofollow link in directory listings. If I understand correctly, the listing currently is nofollow which does not help the SEO rating. If Bondings allowed a dofollow link, he would be giving away some of the frihost site's good reputation, and should not reasonably be expected to do so without some significant compensation.

As I understand it, you can now get __in__ the directory for free, but to get __near the top__ you have to outbid others who also want to be near the top. Obviously bidding was originally in Frih$, and it needs to be changed to allow a bid in either Frih$ or Coin$ at the official exchange rate.

One way to handle the 'dofollow' optional feature would be to continue positioning the entries as they are now, but giving the option to buy upgrade of the link at a set price.