FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is spotting?

CuddleBunny
I was wondering what the difference was between spotting and a normal period. Do you only spot when you're pregnant? Do you spot when you break your himen? What colour and in what quantity does it come in? Is there an obvious difference between spotting and having your period????
LittleBlackKitten
Spotting should be pinkish and light, almost like the day right after the flow stops on a regular period, only pink and not dark brown. If you suspect that you are having a regular period and you are pregnant, you need to see a doctor IMMEDIATELY. Other signs of miscarriage, threatened pregnancy, causes, symptoms, and other information can be found here.

http://www.medicinenet.com/miscarriage/article.htm

But if you're experiencing a flow-like bleeding, go to the hospital immediately.

If you have just had sex for the first time, there is bleeding and spotting associated with it, but only the day of ONLY, sometimes the next day. If you are spotting on your next period after having sex, if it's more than a few days after, I would be concerned that you have a pregnancy.
CuddleBunny
Thanks for the insight littleblackkitten! Smile
i'll be sure to check your link out for additional information.

I'm not pregnant but i was just wondering the differences between spotting and regular period. I didn't know what spotting looked like and it seemed as though, normal women didn't spot unless they've broken their himen or if they were pregnant.

thanks for clearing that up Very Happy
you sound really knowledgeable in this area
LittleBlackKitten
I spend a lot of time looking up symptoms of medical things when I'm bored. It just tends to stick. People tell me I know too much, haha.

But yeah, spotting is about 10% of a regular period and should be pink. A broken hymen should bleed red, but not for days. If you're bleeding for days, it's something to really worry about. Spotting is normal in a pregnancy, now and again, sometimes for some women, monthly. Some rare pregnancies never lose a period, hence why you see those "I didn't know I was pregnant" shows on TLC.
CuddleBunny
you know how you said that there were women that were pregnant but still got their period. How common is that???
LittleBlackKitten
Fairly uncommon, probably one in a million, or something similar.
yagnyavalkya
Here is a link with some information http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/pregnancyandchildbirth/205266.html Spotting is a term used to mean bleeding that is light and is occurring at a time when a woman's period is not expected.