FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Protostar spewing water

Ankhanu
National Geographic

Apparently a protostar in Perseus is spewing water from it's north and south poles as it forms. The water is being produced at about the same rate as water flows through the Amazon River, and is ejected into space at about 200,000 km/h.
These forming stars may well be seeding the universe with water (among other materials)... neat stuff.

Bikerman
I read it as 100,000,000 times the rate of the Amazon....
Ankhanu
Gah. I'm just full of mistakes the past day or two. Got a cold, so I'm tired and a little loopy Razz
Should have double checked between scan and post *facepalm*
Bikerman
Just getting over a cold myself...bloody nuisance this week of all weeks (this is our final week at college for students to get their BTEC units submitted - ego, as you might guess, it is frantic - students rushing around trying to get lecturers to mark last minute entries, and lecturers rushing round trying to find students who still have outstanding work.
Ankhanu
I hear ya Razz Yours is a bit busier, but, I also got a call with a job offer and will be starting on Sunday; so I'm busting my self (as far as I can focus at least) trying to get a thesis draft submission, finish painting inside my parents' house and general husband/dad stuff (including hosting a birthday party) before I go away... Just feels non-stop; all the while hacking up phlegm, with a nice bit of congestion. Really hope this finishes before I have to hike a few Km to sample sites Razz
Bikerman
Starting Sunday? What's the job? Catholic Priest ? Smile
Ankhanu
Hehe, no, I've been called back to work in the National Park I've done terms with the past two fall/winters, doing public safety, wild fire, responding to wildlife issues, etc. with some ecology/monitoring technician work mixed in (hopefully transitioning to ecology/monitoring tech full time in the fall, but there are questions on that; I'm filling someone else's position, they may or may not come back, blah blah blah).
It's been some great experience the past two terms; a pretty sweet job all-in-all. Lots of different projects, working out in nature... it can be physically demanding, but intellectually/emotionally satisfying in several ways.

Not as satisfying as a shower from a protostar, perhaps, but satisfying Wink
Bikerman
Sounds good. The best I have to look forward to is a mountain of marking and a day trip to Jodrell Bank - (which I'm quite looking forward to, but I've been before)..
Ankhanu
Ooh, that does sound fun (the latter part).