FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[Mac] Are you buying Lion?

adri
Just a simple question for all the Macintosh users, will you buy Mac OS 10 Lion? I probably will, after seeing the Apple Keynote and the demo's in the keynote, I'm totally convinced of buying it. And it's only 29,99$ in stead of 129$ which makes it even better. Very Happy

It is a shame though that they won't give a physical disk and it is only available in the Apple App Store, especially if you still run Leopard. Confused (I have Snow Leopard though Razz )

So, will you update?

P.S.: I posted a blogpost which contains the Keynote: http://www.frihost.com/users/adri/blog/vp-126247.html

adri
Ankhanu
I haven't watched the keynote, but I did take a peek at the info on apple.ca highlighting the major features.
I'm not entirely sold on it, but I will likely upgrade. If I dislike it, I'll move back to Snow Leopard. The iOS-like aspects are kinda questionable to me; they work nicely on a mobile, but, I have reservations concerning their utility in a full OS.

adri wrote:
... it's only 29,99$ in stead of 129$ which makes it even better. Very Happy

So was Snow Leopard if you bought an upgrade disc... which was actually identical to the more expensive full install disc. Razz They just changed the label and charged two different amounts for them. Very sneaky, Apple. Very sneaky.

Kinda curious if you can save the install files to a backup to avoid downloading it with each install...
adri
Ankhanu wrote:
I haven't watched the keynote

I wasn't convinced too before watching the keynote but the demo's were awesome. The new Apple Mail search function is stunning and Versions seems to be a nice feature to have at all times, especially if you're still studying.

I bought my Macbook Pro in July with Snow Leopard already on it, by the way.

Quote:
Kinda curious if you can save the install files to a backup to avoid downloading it with each install...

Although I have unlimited bandwidth, it would be nice to have it on my external hard drive.

adri
Ankhanu
adri wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
I haven't watched the keynote

I wasn't convinced too before watching the keynote but the demo's were awesome. The new Apple Mail search function is stunning and Versions seems to be a nice feature to have at all times, especially if you're still studying.

I'll have to give it a watch.

adri wrote:
I bought my Macbook Pro in July with Snow Leopard already on it, by the way.

Just bought mine in March; it's a nice step up from the '07 13" MacBook I'd been using.

adri wrote:
Although I have unlimited bandwidth, it would be nice to have it on my external hard drive.

Yeah. I can't see this being less than 7-8Gb... even with unlimited bandwidth, that will take some time to acquire each time. Having it locally would streamline the process greatly.
billymeter
I plan on buying it. But I've been using my Linux machine for a while now instead of my MacBook.

As for not having a Lion disk, it seems you can burn your own after you download it (at least the the developer version of Lion you can).

http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/08/create-burn-bootable-mac-os-x-lion-install-disc/
Radar
I think so. Almost purely out of curiosity and the low price.

I am cautiously optimistic about the overall effect of the changes.
clydejaw
Quite a rip off if you ask me - not many features worth caring or being excited about. I think they've only made the current applications (garageband, imovie/iphoto etc) better and all these new gimmicks like finger gestures, new spaces, etc. Although I'm not complaining - work will be paying for my Mac's update anyway Very Happy! Does anyone else have the newest Macbook Pro?
adri
clydejaw wrote:
Does anyone else have the newest Macbook Pro?

I have the Macbook Pro 15" mid 2010. Confused What size is yours?

I don't think it is a rip off. Ok, there is actually not a lot that changed on the OS but more on the apps, that's true. But I like the new Apple Mail, Versions, full screen applications and Mission Control. I think it is worth the 30 bucks. Smile (I would have doubted a lot more if it was going to be 130$ Think )

Luckily for you, your boss pays. Razz

P.S.: I see you are quite low in points, you can ask a reset. Razz (Apparently, not a lot of people know this Razz )

adri
Ankhanu
clydejaw wrote:
Quite a rip off if you ask me - not many features worth caring or being excited about. I think they've only made the current applications (garageband, imovie/iphoto etc) better and all these new gimmicks like finger gestures, new spaces, etc. Although I'm not complaining - work will be paying for my Mac's update anyway Very Happy! Does anyone else have the newest Macbook Pro?

I've got the current 15" MacBook Pro; I love it.

Lion looks like a pretty hefty rework of the interface and how the OS behaves... now the change from Tiger to Leopard were almost all front-end, but here we're seeing a major restructure.
kirii
yes definitely!!
just bought it yesterday and I'm using it now Laughing
Ankhanu
I've got it downloading now. We'll see how it is some time tomorrow, after I do a good backup, and install.
adri
Well I was going to buy Lion yesterday but sadly I figured out that it doesn't support my bank card. Sad So now I'll have to go to the bank to arrange a prepaid credit card or something like that. >.>

But anyway, in the meantime, I have been browsing the web to figure out how to do a fresh Lion install and I already found decent information. (Video tutorials FTW!) So now I'm backing up files et cetera so I can begin right away when I get my (prepaid) credit card. Smile

A good video for a clean Lion Install (+ making a physical copy of it):

adri
Ankhanu
Nice.
I just made a bootable USB flashdrive with it using this:
http://lifehacker.com/5823096/how-to-burn-your-own-lion-install-dvd-or-flash-drive

Gonna go through and make sure everything I want backed up is backed up, and get on with the install.
Ankhanu
I completed the install on Saturday without a hitch from my flash drive; full format/fresh install.
The install took less than 30 minutes; it felt more like a Linux install than MacOS (or Windows) in how quick it went by. The install was pretty simple, as to be expected, with the usual user inputs along the way to get things ready to go once the OS boots.

Once booted up, the OS looks like, well, OS X Wink There are some minor tweaks, squared buttons rather than ovoid, different default background, and some of the default settings are a bit weird. They've implemented a natural scrolling feature, based on scrolling on a touch screen (i.e. drag up on the track pad to scroll down), which I disabled; it works nicely on iPhone, but it's simply awkward on a trackpad or mouse. I don't think many users have cared for it, based on snippets I've seen online. With a little exposure, I'm sure it would feel natural, but, right now it certainly feels awkward.

I haven't noticed much different in the basic operation of the OS, the main differences are in the interface.
.: Launch Pad, I had some reservations about when I'd initially heard about it, but, it's pretty decent. It's an iOS style icon menu to launch apps with a default 3 finger+thumb pinch gesture to open (also in the dock by default, I removed it). It works quite nicely, and since you can customize the placement of apps within (and create sub-folders), it's a pretty convenient way to access your apps that you use most, while keeping your dock nice and tidy!
.: Mission Control is essentially a rework of Expose and Spaces. By default the gesture to activate is a three finger swipe up (I changed it to 4 fingers). It displays all windows currently active in the current desktop, with each open desktop (Space) at the top to. It makes selecting a window or Space pretty quick and easy. The loss of (Snow) Leopard style spaces is a little annoying, but it's not too bad. Without accessing Mission control, a 3-finger left or right swipe will take you to the next Space, including the Dashboard.

Problem I've noted: the Preview app is buggy, which is a shame, since I tend to use it a lot. Opening a PDF or image will cause it to occupy 100% of the CPU, even multiple cores, until the app is closed. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

All-in-all, the new features are actually pretty decent, and the core system is still the same. It's a decent upgrade, I think... it's not a wonder system to blow your mind, but it is nice Razz
Radar
I think I'm going to have to start using Lion, just to stay current. Not sure if anything in it particularly excites me though, and I'm hesitant about all the iOS-like features.