FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

xp - amount of memory

portoskt
i have 4 gb ddr3 memory card in my pc, but i see only 3.12... whats the reason for that?
cybersa
Because few ram memory was used by XP.
I think it is correct.
Ankhanu
XP is 32-bit, and that's the most RAM it can use. It's a limitation of 32-bit operating systems and hardware.
64-bit systems are, in essence, unlimited in the amount of RAM they can theoretically utilize (something like 4-16 exabytes of potential RAM use), but the hardware will limit the amount of RAM the system can handle (even if the OS can theoretically use more); for example, on my MacBook, the mainboard can only address up to 8Gb of RAM, whereas on a Mac Pro the mainboard can use up to 32Gb of RAM. Similar stats will be found on PC hardware.
cybersa
Thanks for your information.
This helped also.
FunDa
I think Ankhanu has explained perfectly.

I thought that this was a limitation of XP, din't realize that 64-bit XP would have removed this limitation

Since Windows XP is working very well for me, I never switched to Vista(which was bad) or 7 (which is good, but not essential yet)

Maybe I will upgrade when I increase my RAM size to $GB or more Smile
socials
Memory never show the actual space. There is something that they call reserve memory and i guess is for the operation of the memory
NitNik
You could create a Ramdisk with the size of the unused space. In this Ramdisk you can save files you need for a single session.

I'm not sure which software is good to use for a Ramdisk - you should look on Google. I heard, that XP is able to create a Ramdisk itself...but i don't know how. Confused
pogodabiskupiec
Install Windows XP 64 bits or Windows 7 x64 your memory will be 4GB
AlessandroG
portoskt wrote:
i have 4 gb ddr3 memory card in my pc, but i see only 3.12... whats the reason for that?

The max amount of RAM that XP supports is 3GB
meiz
Me too, but i see only 2.98... Rolling Eyes
FunDa
meiz wrote:
Me too, but i see only 2.98... Rolling Eyes

Upgrade to 64 bit Windows 7 (or even 64 bit Windows XP)

Its worth it.. (If your computer can support Windows 7)
MikeFromHC
2^32 is about 4.2 Gb

Physical Memory Limits: Windows XP

The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows XP.

Version
Windows XP

Limit on X86 4 GB
Limit on X64 128 GB
Limit on IA64 128 GB (not supported)

http://tinyurl.com/79g5gt8 has a bit more detail

Chances are that your memory shares memory with a video card.
telugu25
thanx for info
honken
I would say its possible.

read this.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080717201730AAhrEGC

Note* its at your own risk.
RosenCruz
honken wrote:
I would say its possible.

read this.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080717201730AAhrEGC

Note* its at your own risk.

Hmmm never knew about such stuff. I thought 32 bit limits the amount memory no matter what you do
sysna
there is a memory limitation for 32 bit os and i think it is 4GB not 3GB but it is reported by os as 3GB. now the important thing is that win 2000 server 32bit is capable of addressing more than 4GB and it shows that there should be a way to address more than 4GB on 32bit operating systems.
SonLight
sysna wrote:
there is a memory limitation for 32 bit os and i think it is 4GB not 3GB but it is reported by os as 3GB. now the important thing is that win 2000 server 32bit is capable of addressing more than 4GB and it shows that there should be a way to address more than 4GB on 32bit operating systems.

The addressing limit is a function of the OS, not the hardware. Most 32-bit x86 cpus made since 2000 have a feature called PAE (Program Address Extention), and all 64-bit x86 cpus have it for backward compatibility. When a 32-bit OS uses the feature, it can use up to 64 GB of memory, but cannot assign over 4 GB to any one process.

Linux and other Unix systems have used the PAE feature to fully utilize larger memories since shortly after PAE was developed. For some reason most 32-bit Windows OSs do not use PAE. One reason these OSs show way less than 4GB is that a substantial chunk of the address space is reserved for hardware purposes, somewhat analogous to the 640K limit which existed under DOS long ago. When you have 4 GB on a machine, a portion (probably 1/2 GB) of the memory is available at an address above 4 GB. No use can be made of this memory unless the OS either uses PAE or 64-bit mode. The 64-bit mode of current processors is also known as long mode.
darthrevan
Yep, the best thing you could do is to upgrade to Windows 7, even 64-bit if your CPU supports it. Windows 7 is decent, I like it better than XP and way better than Vista. Though of course I don't even use Windows anymore. Been a while since I even used Windows.