FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to make my forum the index page for my site?

GoldenEagle
Hi. I'd like to make it so my forum is the index page for my site. How do I do that?

Currently it's set to domain.frihost.org/forum

I'd like to make it so my domain will direct right to the forum.

Thanks!
truespeed
Just move the files out of the /forum folder and into the root folder and then you need to go into admin and set the server settings to the root folder,i think thats about it from memory.
GoldenEagle
Like all of the files to construct my forum? That's a lot of files....
truespeed
Yeah they all have to be moved,its very quick,(Assuming your using ftp software) in your /forum folder,there will be a folder icon at the top just above the adm folder,this is the route to the root folder,just drag all files and folders over to that and they will go into the root.
GoldenEagle
I'm definitely not fully understanding this. Most suggestions I've seen (but unsucessfully implemented for one reason or another) involve just editing the htaccess file.

Is this all a moot point? I'm getting a .com domain (YES!) so can I make that do all of my hard work in getting to .org/forum?
truespeed
If you want your forum as the main index page to your site,surely the easiest way of doing it would be to just move the files to the root,if you hope to have your domain soon i am sure it can wait and you can just move the files to the root of your new ,com.
GoldenEagle
Ok, I have the coupon to do the .com thing already, but I'm not too familiar with this who redirect thing, and I have a feeling I'm about to get really deep in all of this.... I'll look into the details of the .com thing.

Quote:
Yeah they all have to be moved,its very quick,(Assuming your using ftp software) in your /forum folder,there will be a folder icon at the top just above the adm folder,this is the route to the root folder,just drag all files and folders over to that and they will go into the root.

Is the root the area directly under public_html ?

Is there a way to keep my files that belong to the forum separate from 400.shtml and the like?

Finally, how do I do this server settings change you're talking about?

Thanks!
truespeed
You don't need to redirect,your using the same host,just moves the files out of your username/frihost folder and into your new .com folder.

Edit: If you mean nameservers just point them to frihost.
truespeed
GoldenEagle wrote:

Is the root the area directly under public_html ?

Is there a way to keep my files that belong to the forum separate from 400.shtml and the like?

Finally, how do I do this server settings change you're talking about?

Thanks!

Lets assume your in /forum,just drag the files to the folder icon above the "adm" folder,they will then be in the root,be sure to delete the frihost default index.html page in the root as this will take presidence over your forum index.php.

The server settings in the phpbb software are in your admin area to the left,under "Server configuration",
GoldenEagle
To make sure I understand and to put it simply:

1. Set up domain --> do the whole nameserver thing. I found a good tutorial for it. That will give me a new entry under /domains.

2. Move all of the files in public_html/forum just into public_html (do I need to do anything to get the forum index to fire off instead of the usual /index.html ?)

3. Finally, copy all files from the public_html in .username.frihost.org to the new domain's public_html (or equivalent)
truespeed
GoldenEagle wrote:

1. Set up domain --> do the whole nameserver thing. I found a good tutorial for it. That will give me a new entry under /domains.

You will also need to add your domain in direct admin (Unless thats what you meant by set up domain) ,this will create a folder in your domains folder.

GoldenEagle wrote:

2. Move all of the files in public_html/forum just into public_html (do I need to do anything to get the forum index to fire off instead of the usual /index.html ?)

index.html needs to be removed if its still in there.,

GoldenEagle wrote:

3. Finally, copy all files from the public_html in .username.frihost.org to the new domain's public_html (or equivalent)

Yes,that's pretty much it. Smile
gphoenix
i had the same prob a while ago..what i did is that i copied everything from the forum folder ti the root folder..and it worked fine..but users wont be able to access your forum using the old link
GoldenEagle
EDITED
truespeed
I think you still need to change the cookie settings (Server configuration) in admin to the new URL.

Quote:
sid=e991b0c9a1cec16b72b1cba654548965

You get this in the url when the cookie settings are not right,plus it will keep logging you out if not set correctly.
GoldenEagle
Assistance, please?

If you give me a quick step-by-step, I'll have this all lined up real quick.

Smile
truespeed
Heres mine under server configuration>Cookie settings

I assume your old frihost url will still be in there ,change it to your new url,so it should be .yourdomain.com (make sure the dot is before the url)
GoldenEagle
Done. At first even after making the change I was seeing the Sid thing, but it seems to have gone away now.

I was looking along the top of ACP for the server link, but didn't think to look in the General Tab. DOH!

Any way, thanks!
deanhills
Well done GoldenEagle. I've just been to your site and it looks great. I wanted to post something general to say some good things about your site in your Forum, but there was no thread for it, and I did not want to clutter your Forum with a thread that may not belong any place.

I'd like to start a discussion forum myself. If I may ask, was it easy for you to start the Forum? Do you just upload it automatically with a wizard that prompts you to set it up, or do you actually have to go in and do some coding as well as set up a member database yourself? Did you find tutorials somewhere for step by step set up Very Happy It would be great if you could share some of the experiences with us, as I'm certain I'm not the only one who'd like to do something of the same - obviously for a different purpose.
adri
deanhills wrote:
Well done GoldenEagle. I've just been to your site and it looks great. I wanted to post something general to say some good things about your site in your Forum, but there was no thread for it, and I did not want to clutter your Forum with a thread that may not belong any place.

I'd like to start a discussion forum myself. If I may ask, was it easy for you to start the Forum? Do you just upload it automatically with a wizard that prompts you to set it up, or do you actually have to go in and do some coding as well as set up a member database yourself? Did you find tutorials somewhere for step by step set up Very Happy It would be great if you could share some of the experiences with us, as I'm certain I'm not the only one who'd like to do something of the same - obviously for a different purpose.

Just download phpBB, upload the zip to your webhost, unzip it there. Then make a database with a user (write down the details) and then go to the place where you unzipped the .zip file (like deanhills.frih.net/phpBB3/) and follow the instructions. The only thing you need to do next, is making the forums (no coding required).

You could also browse the web for help on how to install phpBB3 on your webhost. (It's basically the same on every webhost). Mathiaus actually wrote a tutorial about it, a few years ago: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-48865.html (it's phpBB2 but it isn't so different from phpBB3)

You can also join the IRC one of these days, I'll be happy to explain it to you, if you are stuck somewhere. Smile

adri
truespeed
deanhills wrote:

If your going to start a forum Dean,try to find a niche,like goldeneagle has,general forums that try to cover all subjects tend not to work,frihost does,but frihost is unique in how it attracts posters.

If you decide on a niche (subject) check to see what competition there is,this will show you how much demand there is for your niche,too much and there may be little point adding to it,too little may show there is little demand.

Forums are tricky,much more so than blogs because you are reliant on others for content,but with the right niche and a enthusiastic admin hopefully you will make a success of it.
RefTest
What truespeed mentions is correct. It is very hard to start a forum on its own. Either it has to be a niche forum or you need to have the users/visitors already (like with a website/blog that gets a lot of visitors).