FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Neonatal jaundice

sudipbanerjee
Anybody knows a lot about neonatal jaundice? Actually my 10 days old daughter have affected by this type of jaundice. her bilirubin counts 23.04 mg/dl. atpresent she is completely cure. is there any chance of any problem in her future life? what precaution should I take?
jwellsy
I've had a couple of grandbabies born jaundiced. One of them they wrapped in a special light blanket for about a week. They are now 8, 10 and 14 years old perfectly healthy.
sudipbanerjee
My baby also gone through Phototherapy treatment for 7 days. on last Friday morning she has been releashed from Nursing Home
weedog
sudipbanerjee wrote:
Anybody knows a lot about neonatal jaundice? Actually my 10 days old daughter have affected by this type of jaundice. her bilirubin counts 23.04 mg/dl. atpresent she is completely cure. is there any chance of any problem in her future life? what precaution should I take?

Hi,

Jaundice is a common condition in newborns - the yellow tinge to the skin is due to a breakdown product of haemoglobin in the blood (called bilirubin). In the majority of cases this is normal (known as physiological), as many babies don't yet have the capacity to deal with such a high level of bilirubin and may require phototherapy to 'degrade' the bilirubin.

The fact that your daughter has responded to treatment is a good sign and is likely that her jaundice is not pathological. As she grows older she will be able to deal with the bilirubin breakdown much more effectively and it is unlikely that she will require future treatment.

I'm a med student and have seen numerous babies with this same problem - the condition usually goes away with successful phototherapy and does not return. If you notice her becoming jaundice again then I'd advise you seek medical advice.

I hope this helps.
sudipbanerjee
Thanks weedog for your valuable comments. I have one more question: is there any chance of any type of defectiveness of my baby due to this neonatal jaundice?
deanhills
sudipbanerjee wrote:
I'd discuss her with your doctor, or if you would like a second opinion with another doctor. As far as I know this happens to many babies and there are no consequences, but this is something only a medical practitioner can verify. I'm sure he can make recommendations as to preventitive care if any is needed.
weedog
sudipbanerjee wrote:
Thanks weedog for your valuable comments. I have one more question: is there any chance of any type of defectiveness of my baby due to this neonatal jaundice?

No problem. As for your question, if the jaundice has been treated early and she has responded to treatment then she should not have future complications.

Problems only arise when the levels of jaundice (i.e. quantity of bilirubin) build up to high levels - this can lead to brain damage known as bilirubin encephalopathy or Kernicterus. However, your daughter sounds like she has been treated at an early stage and since she has responded to treatment she should be fine.

As deanhills says, if at any point you are concerned about your baby then you should speak to your doctor but from all of the cases I have seen here in the UK, babies get treatment and go home completely normal as if nothing ever happened.

Here's a few good websites relating to neonatal jaundice and kernicterus:

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Neonatal-Jaundice.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004562/
sudipbanerjee
Thanks again. I will check this sites.
sudipbanerjee
Thanks weedog again. I have gone through the sites you have suggested. My child is ok and fine now.
nigam
my son was born jaundice too....when the sun is up early in the morning, we will expose him to the sun around 10mins. everyday...
bukaida
sudip, this is quite common in babies. This has no relation with adult jaundice. My brother's first daughter was born with this symptom and was kept under photo-therapy for 10 days. This usualy happens due to the mismatch of blood group between the child and the mother. My niss is now 9 years old in perfect health. So donot worry.