FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are you scared of the Dark?

chasbeen
Well no, correction, almost no. You see there are a couple of places I have experienced weird things and I last spent sometime in one of these a few years back. It was at my folks house where I was brought up and have always experienced strange things there.
I'll elaborate a bit more as the replies come in..

Are you scared of the dark?
Bikerman
Not generally, but I did spook myself pretty well once when I was caving. I got separated from the party (6 of us) in a cave in Derbyshire and my head-torch stopped working after I banged the helmet on a low overhang. I was in pitch black, trying to follow the distant and echoing sound of voices, for what seemed like hours (it was probably only 5 mins or so). Bravado wouldn't let me yell for help - but another minute or two and I would have certainly done so, image or no image....
Ankhanu
Scared of the dark? No. Nervous about stumbling into things, off paths, getting poked in the face/eyes by unseen branches and the like? Yes Razz

I was nervous about the dark on my job last year, however. I work in a national park, and there had been a recent coyote attack resulting in a death, and some odd/aggressive coyote activity. My partner and I were on a return trip from data gathering and the sun was well down by the time we got back to the truck. On the trek in I could hear a coyote pack yelping back and forth not TOO far from where we were (less than 500m away, I would guess), so I was hyper aware that they were in the area. So, we're walking through the area, through the woods with no artificial light, have nearly a kilometer left to walk without light, with the knowledge of active potentially dangerous animals in the area. I wasn't scared, per ce, but I was well aware of the potential for danger (especially since everyone else that would be around to respond to the radio if we needed help had gone home by that point).
deanhills
I love the dark, provided of course I am in familiar surroundings. If I would be lost in unfamiliar surroundings for whatever reason, that would be of real concern to me, but when that happens I usually don't panic, my panic comes afterwards. I'm usually focused on solutions, so if none of the ones I know work, I'd probably yell for help along "Hallooooooo .... anybody out there .... I think I'm lost" lines. Having said that, if it had to be in a forest with coyotes, I'd be petrified of the coyotes, but not really of the dark. Hopefully I would be armed so that I can defend myself in that case. Ideally I'd like to know more about coyotes before I get to walk in the dark where they seem to be.
menino
Sometimes, I'm scared of the dark... not always though. Usually, my eyesight can adjust to the darkness after sometime, and I can makeout most of the objects.

Chasbeen, I hope you don't mean paranormal activity.
I don't know or can verify paranormal activity in my bedroom, but a few days ago, when I woke up, I saw an image in my room of a person, but it was almost invisible, yet its eyes, and some of its features were dark, like that of a drawing, and when it saw me, it ran away to my right out the door, almost like a macbook ios animation. I guess I was lucid dreaming, but my dream just before that was being in a garden.
Bikerman
Could be dreaming or it could be just your semi-awake mind doing what it does - lookng for patterns. We find it pretty easy to find human shapes, and especially human faces, where there are none. Look into the clouds, or into a fire, and I'll bet you can begin to spot some faces before long - we are genetically programmed for it.
Nameless
The closest I come to being scared of the dark is when I forget to wear light clothing going out in the evening, and I'm walking home with a niggling worry about my limited visibility a metre or two away from a major road.
sudipbanerjee
darkness in my known environment is ok. but darness in unknown environment is fearful to me.
standready
Darkness does not bother me even when in unfamiliar surroundings.
deanhills
standready wrote:
I guess that means you have cat's eyes and instincts? Very Happy

When I was a kid I used to put myself deliberately in the dark, so I could "see" whether I can see in the dark. It's rare to find absolute dark. There is always at least something visible once your eyes have become used to it. I think if one practices, after a while one can "feel" the presence of others as well. One of my favourite games was this one area in our house, a very long corridor, that could be completely blacked out by closing all the doors leading to it. And then me and our siblings worked on figuring out where we were. I'd be a dud now, but "seeing" in the dark can be developed into something of an art. The ultimate of course would be to wear one of those special visors that we get to see in the movies. Would be nice one day if we could just put it on like sunglasses and be able to automatically see in the dark. Very Happy
chasbeen
As I was starting to tell you, these incidents had some physical reality to them. They were not visual.
Like the feeling of someone breathing on your neck which wakes you up. I discount that but I do include the uncrinkling Polythene bag on the other side of the room on a seat from which I felt I was being watched
I never liked sleeping there and both my brothers wife andy wife have stories about me and my brother yelling in our sleep (we both used to sleep in the strange area of the house)

There you have it, but there was more. I'm not scared of the dark except where Inused to sleep as a kid.
Excuse spelling ipod
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
As I was starting to tell you, these incidents had some physical reality to them. They were not visual.
Like the feeling of someone breathing on your neck which wakes you up. I discount that but I do include the uncrinkling Polythene bag on the other side of the room on a seat from which I felt I was being watched
I never liked sleeping there and both my brothers wife andy wife have stories about me and my brother yelling in our sleep (we both used to sleep in the strange area of the house)

There you have it, but there was more. I'm not scared of the dark except where Inused to sleep as a kid.
Excuse spelling ipod
I think I know what you are talking about. I had something like that as a kid too. Like a really evil presence dragging me under the bed when I am in a semi-wake state. Sort of really frightening stuff as it appeared to be "real". I'd immediately get up and turn on the light. But for those few seconds while it was happening it was always a terrible nightmare as it was just so very vivid.
menino
chasbeen wrote:

I've had the breathing down my neck, and also the feeling of being watched by someone really angry. I'm not sure if they were figments of my imagination or dream, but I don't really think so.
Also sometimes there's a wind blowing, although the doors and windows are closed, and no fan or airconditioning is on, but it is possible that some wind comes through the very minute spacings in the windows through the doors.... at least thats what I tell myself.
cybersa
@standready
I'm also like that.
godbandos
HELL Yeah, I've been watching a lot of horror movies lately haha. :p
chasbeen
Talking about the same place , someone said they woke up and turned on the light.
Well I woke up after a nightmare nothing unusual right?
Then I tried to turn on the bedside light that bloo, not unusual just annoying right?
Them I tried to turn on the main light and it bloo too!

There all small things but as I have been telling you , these are all physical things from the SAME place.

I did not tell you about the bed shaking only I did not mention it to anyone at the time, not until I heard my brother telling his mum it happened to him...
At EXACTLY the same time!
standready
deanhills wrote:
standready wrote:
I guess that means you have cat's eyes and instincts? Very Happy

Very funny, dean, but true nonetheless Very Happy
SC__Programmer
eh...where i live you have to be scared to a certain point,to avoid being tore to shreds by coyotes Wink

I admit im a little afraid of the dark,never had a good experience with it either lol
Insanity
"It is only the unknown we fear when we look into death and darkness, nothing more."

-- Albus Dumbledore
Helios
Actually I am a bit scared by darkness, also have fear of heights which hits me randomly.
Hiking is my hobby and sometimes I find myself hiking in the dark or on a tall ridge. I may hike like everything's normal, but sometimes I'm kind of scared. Fear of heights hits me harder than fear of the dark... I can be fairly high on a mountainside and feel as if nothing, but then it hits me! Like, Bang!
Pretty weird, but what can I do...
missdixy
standready wrote:

This. For the most part. There is the rare occasion where I am in the dark in my own room/home and get a bit freaked out, but this is not usually the norm.
deanhills
Helios wrote:
Fear of heights hits me harder than fear of the dark... I can be fairly high on a mountainside and feel as if nothing, but then it hits me! Like, Bang!
Pretty weird, but what can I do...
My dad had the same thing. Even with apartments. He hated having to use an elevator to go up even one floor of a building. He also hated flying. He'd sooner drive thousands of kilometres and criss cross the country a few times than get on a plane. One would never notice it however, as he never gave anything away. I love heights, the higher I can get up, the better for me. I also love flying. So maybe this is not inherited behaviour.
BigGeek
Bikerman wrote:
Could be dreaming or it could be just your semi-awake mind doing what it does - lookng for patterns. We find it pretty easy to find human shapes, and especially human faces, where there are none. Look into the clouds, or into a fire, and I'll bet you can begin to spot some faces before long - we are genetically programmed for it.

I also find them in maps, I have a map of the East Coast of the US on my wall, and my nephew pointed out a strange face formed by the land and water, which I had never noticed before.......now when I look at it, it's all I see.....funny huh?

Also, my fear of the dark is a relevant thing, if I've seen a scary movie, or some spooky program, I'm terrified of the dark, but on a normal night I could care less. It just depends on how spooky my mood is Shocked
Nintendo
For me, darkness doesn't cause fear.

However, if I am already fearful from something else (someone following you on the street - yes it has happened to me before :f), then darkness will intensify that for me because it makes me feel more vulnerable.
ankitdatashn
If I say no then it would not be totally correct, let's imagine if I were to be left in a jungle with howls and other noises surrounding me then I would really be fearful.

It's not the dark that haunts but the presumptions that what might happen next - Totally unpredictable.

In childhood days I remember some of my classmates talking so sheepishly about how they thought some person was under their sofa when they were alone in their drawingroom at night, must have been too much of TV serials I presume! Smile
menino
chasbeen wrote:
Then I tried to turn on the bedside light that bloo, not unusual just annoying right?
Them I tried to turn on the main light and it bloo too!

THis happened to me around 2 years ago.... I got up one night, and switched on the light, and it blew... and I didnt have any spare bulbs at the time, so I went to the bathroom, and when I got back, the bulb was on Shocked

The next night, again I switched it on, and it blew Shocked and it came back on again after a while.
Afterwards on investigating closer, I found that the socket was loose, and perhaps that was the reason.... I changed the bulb to the new energy savings one, and havent had a problem since. Very Happy

But your situation seems quite bizarre, chasbeen... I hope its not recent though.
deanhills
menino wrote:
THis happened to me around 2 years ago.... I got up one night, and switched on the light, and it blew... and I didnt have any spare bulbs at the time, so I went to the bathroom, and when I got back, the bulb was on Shocked
*laughter* now that would have REALLY spooked me. Laughing

menino wrote:
The next night, again I switched it on, and it blew Shocked and it came back on again after a while.
Afterwards on investigating closer, I found that the socket was loose, and perhaps that was the reason.... I changed the bulb to the new energy savings one, and havent had a problem since. Very Happy
Darn, I hate it when a nice spooky story ends this way. Twisted Evil
chasbeen
I can't go back there now the old house in Chiswick west London is sold.
I wish it was still there but I still would not sleep on the top floor even if it was..........
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
I can't go back there now the old house in Chiswick west London is sold.
I wish it was still there but I still would not sleep on the top floor even if it was..........
Well at least someone else may have the opportunity of puzzling over it .... Very Happy

I must say that is why I'm not too crazy about old houses. You know the old rickety kind with the wooden creaky floor boards and hearing the neighbour coughing next door. When someone opens the front door it reverberates through the whole house. Thank goodness for modern architecture, brick walls and up to date interiors. Very Happy
chasbeen
Nook it was built as strong as a council. Older buildings tend to have thicker walls in the old country.
Tesa323
Me..? No... I just like sleeping with the lights on. It's not a choice it's a life style. Wink