FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

my new job/mission

pirate
hey there, my current job/mission is that im making a new social network, i know what you will say, that it's impossible, but when you take into fact that i know HTML,CSS and a fair amount of php. And then you read my blog you may see i know what im talking about Very Happy
Afaceinthematrix
Good luck... However, think this threw. I'm not trying to discourage you, but you should know that you need to know a shitload more than "a little php." You need to know a LOT of php plus most likely, java, flash, asp, etc.

Facebook is already extremely popular and so why would people quit using that social networking site in order to use yours? They only need to use one and so they will use the better one. So just think about what facebook has that keeps people using it. It has a really good facebook chat system,, security (you can have your password sent to you in a text message), games, etc. One thing you may notice about the things that I just mentioned is that they are not possible with just a little bit of php. So... what are you going to add in, that you can do with a little bit of php, that will make people want to use your site instead of a competitor? Every edge that I can think of would require more programming knowledge...

PHP is extremely powerful and useful to know. With a MySql database you can easily make web forums (which I have done), login systems, chat rooms, etc... You could technically make a social networking site (but not one with all the features of Facebook - you'd need more programming than just PHP). PHP is also useful to know because once you learn PHP, learning C++ becomes MUCH easier (if you take a C++ class in college, you can easily tell who's programmed before in the past and who hasn't)... And I assume that then learning other programming skills that would be useful for your project would then become even easier...
ocalhoun
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Facebook is already extremely popular and so why would people quit using that social networking site in order to use yours?

Back in the day, Myspace was already extremely popular... why would anyone quit and use facebook instead?

Look at the common existing gripes about facebook...

poor privacy protection, sometimes annoying flood of updates, sometimes annoying people, the apparent pointlessness of it all...

Then try to incorporate all of the features while avoiding those faults... and with skill and luck, you just might do it.
Yeah, you'll need a lot more than just a little php... but perhaps you can learn it along the way and have a good educational experience even if it doesn't work out.
Afaceinthematrix
ocalhoun wrote:

Back in the day, Myspace was already extremely popular... why would anyone quit and use facebook instead?

Look at the common existing gripes about facebook...

poor privacy protection, sometimes annoying flood of updates, sometimes annoying people, the apparent pointlessness of it all...

Exactly! MySpace was popular in my day also and so now everyone uses Facebook. The reason was that obviously Facebook had different features that people liked more than the ones on MySpace. I'm not really sure what those features are because I do not really use any social networking.

You listed out problems and so that was what I was trying to get at. I was trying to tell the OP that he/she needs to find out what those issues are with Facebook and find a way to fix them or improve on them. The other alternative would be to just add a whole host of brand new features that people will like. Maybe the OP can cater to people of a certain topic (is there a social networking site exclusively for people who breed dogs?). But this was the point I was trying to get to. Find out what people like about Facebook and do it better. Find out what people hate and fix it. Add new stuff that people will like.
pirate
no making the site isn't that hard, but making it run smoothly and getting peoples attention is difficult. As most of it is just annoying connecting to a database. I made the basic of it but couldn't be bothered doing any-more, but it was good coding practise. but yer i would definitely discourage people from trying this. It is possible, i know i did it but it gives you a massive headache. You need to have good knowledge in HTML/CSS/PHP/Javascript and then good Graphics skills. I dont know javascript and so that just lead to more problems.

overall outcome, it can be done but dont do it. xD

^ Great advice there.
watersoul
pirate wrote:
[...] but yer i would definitely discourage people from trying this. [...]

Unless they have strong skills/interest in that particular field perhaps?

...I live a lot of my life by "better to try and fail than always wonder what if?" Wink
Omif
pirate wrote:
hey there, my current job/mission is that im making a new social network, i know what you will say, that it's impossible, but when you take into fact that i know HTML,CSS and a fair amount of php. And then you read my blog you may see i know what im talking about Very Happy

Will it be different from other networks? What will be specific about this new one?
blazy
pirate wrote:

pm when you will done that
MrTylerGreen
Maybe when you get done with it they will make a cool movie about you! Or maybe it will be like the hundreds of other people who try and fail at this Smile You never know unless you try! I say go for it!
Segia
I wish you all the best, as well as a massive billion dollar server farm, a massive team of technicians to support all the problems and the required connections for you to get your network even in the slightest bit noticed by the general public.
ricardooliveira
Keep it up!
donoob88
that's cool bro, i want to do that to, but my problem is that i'm still new in web designing and web developing, and i'm also new to software programming. I don't know what i will concentrate, though, i want both of them, i don't think it is okay to master them both. but i guess it is okay. Very Happy

If it doesn't work out in the end you'll have learned a lot and improved your self and your skills.

Best Wishes!

Inoshi
Wink
inoshi
MrTylerGreen wrote:
Maybe when you get done with it they will make a cool movie about you! Or maybe it will be like the hundreds of other people who try and fail at this Smile You never know unless you try! I say go for it!

Tee hee, laffing about the movie bit.
watchftp
All the best .. go for it.
I think facebook is a crap ... I think we need better than what facebook offers. Remember that there are huge number of people who are still not into facebook yet. And there are people who have account the facebook but hardly using it. So if you can tap on these group, you can be more successful than FB. It is not about knowing technology, or what programming languague you know. It's about understanding people needs.
inoshi
watchftp wrote:
All the best .. go for it.
I think facebook is a crap ... I think we need better than what facebook offers. Remember that there are huge number of people who are still not into facebook yet. And there are people who have account the facebook but hardly using it. So if you can tap on these group, you can be more successful than FB. It is not about knowing technology, or what programming languague you know. It's about understanding people needs.

Yeah and there are tons pf folks waiting to jump to the next thing . . . FB has it's life, and one day as with Myspace it's day will subside. It's a great and interesting cultural phenomenon.

WHAT"S NEXT!!!!!!

Inoshi
HAL9000
Social Networking is not the next big thing. Its the now thing. Theres nothing wrong with trying to jump into the arena if you've got ideas/skills/talent but i think its important to be aware that there are probably already way too many people getting involved. The next big sakeup will probably remove most of the "me too" players. If you really want to do something revolutionary look elsewhere.

Just my opinion.
linux1993
Social network like facebook will never archive success ,unless you develop a network connects people in a way different from Facebook.Just like Pinterest. But you need to hunt for other ways people communicate. Good Luck Smile Smile