FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Intro to 3D Modeling [UPDATED]

celebi269
I just started 3D modeling using Cinema4D, so I want to share some of my first renders!
Constructive and healthy criticisms are mostly welcomed. Enjoy!

Intro to 3D Modeling - Cinema4D

UPDATE
After learning through tutorials (thanks to Nick Campbell of Greyscalegorilla), I managed to get indulged in Cinema 4D.
So, here are some of my new models!

#1 GUMBALL MACHINE
Ver.1

Ver.2

#2 HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

#3 IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD

---------------------------------

If you want to know more how I did these, visit Greyscalegorilla.com!

Check out my other works!
itsacezon's Flickr photostream
saratdear
If you're a beginner, I say that looks pretty good! Smile

For those billiard balls (I assume they are billiard balls) try toning down the reflection a bit. They wouldn't be that shiny, I believe. What did you use to get the reflection? HDRI maps?

I do some modelling as well - but I use Blender.
celebi269
I use Fresnel (It's in the Material window, Blender also has that) for the reflections.
I rarely use HDRI maps, Cinema4D has some very good native stuff.

By the way, they're just shiny balls.
celebi269
Sorry for double posting.

Check out 3 new models I created in Cinema 4D!
loremar
Wow! Beautiful.

I really wish I can do that in Blender. I'm still a beginner in 3d modeling and the last time I did was probably about 2 years ago. And considering that blender has already updated, I might have difficult time modeling 3d again.
Dialogist
The depth of field/bokeh is a little too exaggerated on the gum balls render. I mean for that be a believable geometry it'd have to be about 4 feet deep (depending on the camera lens of course). From a cursory glance the reflection is also troublesome too. It reveals a skylight or lighted roof panels (either way vertically descending projection, now, if you're anal, like I am, the little black plastic "nub" of that glass casing reveals the whole room, four walls, one skylight. Now look at the lighting on both the left and right of the bowl and tell me who installed wall windows. Either way, very nice render. I'm only picking faults because you claim that they are yours and that it's your first outing...

I don't believe you! Wink
loremar
Dialogist wrote:

Why not? He engraved his name in the 3rd render. Isn't that enough proof?
celebi269
Dialogist wrote:
The depth of field/bokeh is a little too exaggerated on the gum balls render. I mean for that be a believable geometry it'd have to be about 4 feet deep (depending on the camera lens of course). From a cursory glance the reflection is also troublesome too. It reveals a skylight or lighted roof panels (either way vertically descending projection, now, if you're anal, like I am, the little black plastic "nub" of that glass casing reveals the whole room, four walls, one skylight. Now look at the lighting on both the left and right of the bowl and tell me who installed wall windows. Either way, very nice render. I'm only picking faults because you claim that they are yours and that it's your first outing...

Wow! Thanks for critiquing my work! Actually, I do have a lot of problems with lighting, and that is why I take tutorials from Greyscalegorilla.com.

BTW, is it from the V1 or V2?

UPDATE:
New render! Happy 2012 guys!
Ultrak1ll
Pretty nice renders. Year ago i was able to make renders with similar quality but now its all forgotten.

I like that the edges of the fonts are smooth (i see u have put in a small cap).

Its sooo hard to get good HDRI free

EDIT:
A quick question. what did you do to get nice organic white on the font on #2?
celebi269
Sorry for the late reply.

The "HOLIDAYS" on #2 was just a texture I got from Greyscalegorilla. The textures were really great and I recommend everyone to buy it. Also, I added a softbox and changed the color to dirty gray. When it rendered, the texture's color and the softbox mixed and the result is that organic white.
Ghost Rider103
Great stuff, I'm loving the holidays render! So much detail going into that one, I'm impressed! You don't see many render artist put that much work into one piece, graphic wise anyways. You seem to have a good mix of render talent along with some design talent!

Keep them coming, would love to see some more.
celebi269
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Great stuff, I'm loving the holidays render! So much detail going into that one, I'm impressed! You don't see many render artist put that much work into one piece, graphic wise anyways. You seem to have a good mix of render talent along with some design talent!

Keep them coming, would love to see some more.

Thanks! I'll be posting new renders here soon.
jayray
Cinema 4d looks absolutely epic, and these renders are definitely top notch, I had no idea you could do such radical designs like this, I'll definitely have to look into this software more before taking on a massive purchase, but, wow... I'm definitely impressed beyond compare!
pauline123
Those renders are quite nice, jood job. I will have to go look into cinema4d sometime. I have always been one for modelling, just never got any great practice or skill in that area. Good job and good luck on future projects.