FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

People & Society Forum?

Is there room for a sociological based forum on Frihost?
Yep, it could fill a gap
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Nah, the forums already cover it
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

watersoul
I've always been interested in the sociological side of life and there are many times I've wanted to start a topic here on Frihost but struggled to find the appropriate forum to discuss it in.

Example:
"Why is our advanced society so obsessed with the private lives of 'celebrities' ?"

Philosophy & Religion forum?
Nope, I'm not focussing on the moral issues, more the social constructs and reasons behind it.
Politics Forum?
Possibly something politically motivated as a convenient distraction, but probably more media inspired.
World News Forum?
Well if I wait long enough I guess I'll find a mainstream news report to comment on, but unlikely.
General Chat?
This is kind of the only place I can see would accommodate the topic but its inherent nature seems to be one of shallow discussion and limited detail. I suspect an attempted in depth look at the reasons behind the way people feel/act would die a quick death here.

Which brings me back to the question/request for a new forum which could perhaps look at issues from a more sociological perspective?
I'm sure many of us have an interest in this slant on life and the many different topics which could come out of it. Perhaps while the Philosophy forum discusses the moral rights and wrongs, the new place could focus on the contributing factors behind the subjects at hand?

People & Society? Social science?
Interested in any comments, even if you think its a lame idea! Laughing
Ankhanu
My first thought was an anthropology/sociology section under science... but, I think it would be too limiting under the science forum, and there is a large non-science component to both of these human studies... It would probably fit better under Lifestyle & News.

All in all, I think it's a good idea, Sociology/Anthropology/Human Behaviour is a pretty dynamic field with lots to consider; there could be some pretty interesting questions in such a section.
GoldenEagle
I think a good question to ask is, "How many are going to use that forum?". While it's definitely nice for to have a section for everything, we also have to remember that creating a forum section that only has limited use is not a good thing. If we *could* put it in the philosophy section if we can't justify making a new forum just for topics like this.
watersoul
Ankhanu wrote:
My first thought was an anthropology/sociology section under science... but, I think it would be too limiting under the science forum, and there is a large non-science component to both of these human studies... It would probably fit better under Lifestyle & News.

Total agreement there.

GoldenEagle wrote:
I think a good question to ask is, "How many are going to use that forum?". While it's definitely nice for to have a section for everything, we also have to remember that creating a forum section that only has limited use is not a good thing. If we *could* put it in the philosophy section if we can't justify making a new forum just for topics like this.

I can't see sociological discussion going on very well in the Phil forum - it's why I avoid making any topics there - the reasons behind peoples social or life issues can often become sidelined by the moral or ethical slant that philosophers sometimes vociferously focus on.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
I can't see sociological discussion going on very well in the Phil forum -
Totally agreed. We have had discussions bordering on sociological shot to smithereens in the Phil&Rel Forum and the General Chat forum won't do justice to your topic. You're right, we do need an in between forum on society. Perhaps it could be attached as a Sub-Forum in its own right along the lines of Psychology and Sociology of Community or something to that effect. I'm almost certain you would have plenty to offer through your real life experiences. Like what is charity really in terms of society giving? How does society look after its elderly? Why this preoccupation with what people look like? Etc.
Bikerman
I'd support the idea. As you say, such discussion would be out of place in p&r (being neither) and I would resist any attempt to include sociology under the mainstream science banner - although I wouldn't object to a 'social science' category, which would, of course, include sociology, psychology etc.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:
I can't see sociological discussion going on very well in the Phil forum -
Totally agreed. We have had discussions bordering on sociological shot to smithereens in the Phil&Rel Forum and the General Chat forum won't do justice to your topic. You're right, we do need an in between forum on society. Perhaps it could be attached as a Sub-Forum in its own right along the lines of Psychology and Sociology of Community or something to that effect. I'm almost certain you would have plenty to offer through your real life experiences. Like what is charity really in terms of society giving? How does society look after its elderly? Why this preoccupation with what people look like? Etc.

I think it would fill a possible 'gap' in the forums, and I'm certain that many people will have some interesting social comments to make which deserve deeper discussion than can be hoped for in General Chat.

Bikerman wrote:
I'd support the idea. As you say, such discussion would be out of place in p&r (being neither) and I would resist any attempt to include sociology under the mainstream science banner - although I wouldn't object to a 'social science' category, which would, of course, include sociology, psychology etc.

I'd also resist any calls for it to be under the mainstream science banner and was thinking of a similar Social Science category as you mentioned.

...hmm, 60+ topic views and no votes 'no' so far, that's got to be a hopeful sign Smile
Bluedoll
watersoul wrote:
I've always been interested in the sociological side of life and there are many times I've wanted to start a topic here on Frihost but struggled to find the appropriate forum to discuss it in.

People & Society? Social science?
Interested in any comments, even if you think its a lame idea! Laughing
No not a lame idea at all. Funny though, immediately thought of relationships section though we know the theme of what goes in there is not what you are thinking about just I visualize relationship = people and generally global = society relationships. It might accept a few posts as a trial to see how responses go? Then if responses are good and it looks like these kind of topics are competing with the more personal ones elect to create a new category?

One feature that is available now to members is the front page where the latest topics are listed on the right hand side and where the section they are posted in is not relevant at all only the topic. I’ve never been a big fan myself of an idea that certain posters go to particular section or hang out in a certain sections because of the section. I just look for a topic that interests me and go from there so where the post is located is not so important. Maybe that’s just me.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
I'm certain that many people will have some interesting social comments to make which deserve deeper discussion than can be hoped for in General Chat.
Totally agreed. What would the next step be to get it implemented? Would someone like Bikerman perhaps be able to put this idea forward on our behalf? I wish we could already start on it tomorrow it's a really great idea? Very Happy
Ankhanu
Bluedoll wrote:
... Funny though, immediately thought of relationships section though we know the theme of what goes in there is not what you are thinking about just I visualize relationship = people and generally global = society relationships. It might accept a few posts as a trial to see how responses go? Then if responses are good and it looks like these kind of topics are competing with the more personal ones elect to create a new category?

Yeah, you're right about the broader application of the word relationship; semantically, this sort of thread would work there... functionally is a complete other story (as you point out).
I would predict a test run of a topic like this over there would result in utter failure. I really don't think that forum is use a whole lot by most people. I generally avoid it, for example, though I have been popping by lately, now that my "procrastination mode" has been properly engaged Razz Simply, I don't think it has traffic with the people who would really be interested in a topic like watersoul is using as his example.
LittleBlackKitten
Sounds a bit more on psychological side of Sociology to me. I would like a more psychological forum or forums to post in.
Bikerman
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:
I'm certain that many people will have some interesting social comments to make which deserve deeper discussion than can be hoped for in General Chat.
Totally agreed. What would the next step be to get it implemented? Would someone like Bikerman perhaps be able to put this idea forward on our behalf? I wish we could already start on it tomorrow it's a really great idea? Very Happy

I will certainly propose it in the staff forum. I can't promise anything, since I know Bondings is a busy man, but I'll advocate it to the best of my abilities.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:

I will certainly propose it in the staff forum. I can't promise anything, since I know Bondings is a busy man, but I'll advocate it to the best of my abilities.
That's awesome Bikerman. Thanks very much. Cool
watersoul
Bikerman wrote:

Cheers BM, no rush or huge importance level in my mind though, just an idea I think could be interesting if someone has some spare time or inclination to make it happen Smile
Bondings
It seems like a good idea. On the other hand, we already have quite a lot of forums already. I'll think about it for a few days first.
watersoul
Bondings wrote:
It seems like a good idea. On the other hand, we already have quite a lot of forums already. I'll think about it for a few days first.

Thanks for that Bondings, I know what you mean about the number of forums though and I wondered about maybe a simple name adjustment instead - Politics & Society or something else along those lines - It could probably get just the same results by 'opening the door' to broader discussion there?
deanhills
I realize that you have little time Bondings, and this is obviously low in the priority list as having a tip top functional forum as we have is already more than perfect, but perhaps there are a number of Sub-Forums that can be nixed, and some re-organized. More than the People and Community, we probably need to re-organize and revitalize the IT Forums and Sub-Forums as they are probably the most important Forums for the Website, particularly for generating meaningful discussions, however seem to be pushed a little below the others. For example, would there be any benefit to for at least a month or so push all the IT Forums under the General Chat Forum? For newcomers who obviously have joined so they can start their own Websites, maybe that would be more of an incentive to post than to go search for the IT Sub-Forums. Or to get tripped up in chit chat Forums where they may not be as good and then come to the conclusion they don't really belong? Whereas if they could immediately have seen IT topics to ask for help and questions, there may have been an incentive to come back and ask more?

I'm just thinking here along the lines of how to generate more posts by streamlining and revitalizing the forums we already have. Also, there are always trends, and today's forums may not be as good as they have been so can either be nixed or modified, or pushed down in the order they are. I'd really like the blogs sub-forum to be at least on top of the General Chat Forum for example, etc. etc. Very Happy
Nameless
watersoul wrote:
I wondered about maybe a simple name adjustment instead - Politics & Society or something else along those lines - It could probably get just the same results by 'opening the door' to broader discussion there?

+1 this. Frihost has far too many pidgeon-holed sub-forums as is and they cause more problems than they solve: New (or even old) users being overwhelmed and unsure where exactly to start a thread, the tedium of clicking through a dozen or more sub-forums to find a discussion you want to participate in, unpopular forums giving Frihost the appearance of being much deader than it really is, discouraging broader discussions that could cross over between multiple topics ...

I mean, are discussions about operating systems really that far removed from other computer software? Are the scripting questions so busy that they need a whole group of forums devoted to them? How does religious discussion NOT intrinsically include faith?

/rant
ocalhoun
I'm in favor of the idea... the only comment I would have is a small one; when making the title/description of the forum, psychology should probably be included as well...
(And that it should definitely be one of the science forums.)
((And while we're at it, we could take 'education' out of the science forums, and merge it with 'jobs and learning'... since very little of the content there has anything to do with science.))
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I'm in favor of the idea... the only comment I would have is a small one; when making the title/description of the forum, psychology should probably be included as well...
(And that it should definitely be one of the science forums.)
((And while we're at it, we could take 'education' out of the science forums, and merge it with 'jobs and learning'... since very little of the content there has anything to do with science.))
I'd like to see education go with the society forum though, maybe we could make jobs part of the new forum as well? I always get the feeling that there are better education topics discussed under the science forum than in the jobs and learning forum. Maybe because education is a bit more specific than learning?