FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Alabama follows Arizona with Immigration Laws ....

deanhills
Wonder whether Arizona is breathing a sigh of relief as the media attention and advocacy groups are shifting their attention on Alabama. Alabama State has just passed an immigration law requiring schools to find out if students are there illegally. Worse, the law also makes it a crime to give an illegal immigrant a lift in a car. Wonder which State is going to be next after this?
Quote:
There are an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the US - and individual states have increasingly taken matters into their own hands in an attempt to tackle the problem.
Source: BBC News
Ankhanu
Xenophobia is an incredible thing, isn't it? Wow.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
Are you sure that is the only reason all of this is happening? I agree some of it is true, but then if these guys aren't contributing to taxes either one of two things need to happen to solve the problem. The Federal Immigration Laws need to be relaxed so that it is easier and much more simple for people to emigrate legally to the United States, or they have to tighten up on people who are in the country illegally. I would prefer the first option. The Immigration Laws are much too complicated. Compare them with Canada where there is a whole Government Website where one can do your own application for immigration to Canada - you know exactly where you stand. With the United States you NEVER know where you stand, and there is no clear immigration policy for people who want to emigrate to the States. First you have to have a job, and in order to have it you have to prove in the most arduous of ways that no one else needs that job, or prove that you are an exceptionally talented or magnificently qualified human being, or fleeing your country. If you have tons of money you can get a lawyer in the United States to do it for you. So what do normal people do? They go on a tourist visa to the United States and then try their luck with the system inside the country. At their own expense, as the company they work for obviously can pay them as little as they like, they are really vulnerable from an employment point of view, and the cost of getting ahead with getting the right Visa or doing the next step is very expensive as well.
gandalfthegrey
Dumb and Dumber.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
Are you sure that is the only reason all of this is happening? I agree some of it is true, but then if these guys aren't contributing to taxes either one of two things need to happen to solve the problem. The Federal Immigration Laws need to be relaxed so that it is easier and much more simple for people to emigrate legally to the United States, or they have to tighten up on people who are in the country illegally. I would prefer the first option.

Xenophobia is the reason the first option isn't happening though.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
Are you sure that is the only reason all of this is happening? I agree some of it is true, but then if these guys aren't contributing to taxes either one of two things need to happen to solve the problem. The Federal Immigration Laws need to be relaxed so that it is easier and much more simple for people to emigrate legally to the United States, or they have to tighten up on people who are in the country illegally. I would prefer the first option.

Xenophobia is the reason the first option isn't happening though.
Perhaps you are right, however real xenophobia can be very ugly. South Africa is going through xenophobia in its ugliest form with illegal black immigrants from other countries in Africa being legislated against and acted on by local blacks who are scared to lose their jobs. I'm almost certain this has a lot to do with the high level of unemployment in South Africa(25%), the higher the unemployment rate, the bigger the problems to expect - particularly xenophobia. So maybe ditto the US?
Source: Xenophobia - South Africa